FlightAware and CMS

When is someone going to create a plugin for WordPress, a module for Drupal, and / or a Joomla module?
In particular, I would love to see a plugin from WordPress (my CMS of choice) that allows me to display some daily, limited stats for my FlightAware receiver.

Something like this?

Latest Flights (sonicgoose.com)

That is not as easy as it looks like.
First you need a script or tool to record the flights your receiver is catching and put them into a database.
Then you need to publish this database and query it from your preferred CMS. Not sure if Wordpress meanwhile offers a plugin to access SQLite that flexible

For storing the daily data you can either use Modesmixer2 which offers an output to an SQLite DB or you can use a script which takes the records produced in aircraft.json by dump1090-fa/readsb.

The script is this one and it works fine, polling the json once per minute (configurable)
Logging dump1090-fa to local database – Cactus Projects

The benefits are that you’re not only storing the unique aircraft but all flights. Depending on your traffic, an aircraft can pass your receiver more than once per day.

So some work needs to be done

The author of the above site described it in his own blog:
Blog – SonicGoose
(scroll further down below to the section “My ADS-B log is now online”)

So you can be the first one creating such a plugin :slight_smile:

Just in case you’re interested:

I am using the script mentioned above to collect the flight information from readsb
This is going into an SQLite Database.
In this DB there are two more tables. One with aircraft details, the other one for the routes based on the flight information

With some SQL you can then join the databases and get a full list of flights including aircraft and route information (for these were the route is transmitted.

I am using SQLiteAdmin as Frontend, but the data can then be used in any other way while accessing the SQLite DB

Looks like this (rough, no special formatting):

Routes are not documented so far in this view

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.