FlightAware ADS-B filters now for sale worldwide

I agree, I live in urban area, heart of Krakow where electromagnetic junk is really high and I noticed significant difference after I had applied FA filter.

sounds good :wink:

I’m newbie ads-b user and I will try ads-b filter.Thx for a lot of information.

Any chance the next batch of these could be tweaked to officially include 978 MHz? Has anyone done any serious testing (perhaps near a UAT tower) to see if the current filter helps, hurts, or makes no difference.

Thanks!

Steve

Hi Steve, we’ll keep that in mind for the future, but just to set expectations, we’ve already produced inventory through most of this year, so it might be a while. If distribution increases, we might start to look at it sooner. Daniel

It’s probably wide enough already. Here is a scan I did with the filter in line that shows mobile phone transmitters at 950 MHz.

I don’t know how much attenuation there is at that frequency, but it didn’t look like there was much. UAT is not used in Europe so I can’t test it receiving that unfortunately.

Did i miss something or why is the filter listed as unavailable on amazon in germany?
When will it come in stock again?

Apologies for that – we ran out due to a surge in demand. We shipped 500 more to Amazon last week and expect them to be back in stock any day now.

[quote=“dbaker”]

No prob, just wanted to order my prostick + filter and noticed the filters aren’t available anymore :slight_smile:

[quote=“cynd”]

While you wait a few days, it might be interesting to try implementing one at a time to compare stats (old dongle, new dongle, new dongle w/ filter)

Great idea, i’ll do that and let you know!

Still not available, any news on this?

We are shipping to Amazon today and expect it to be available next week.

Are there any recommendation for the gain setup?
Especially in combination with the pro stick?

Max gain is probably OK for pro stick + filter.

I tried pro stick WITHOUT filter, and found that if I set dump1090 more than 35 dB, performance drops sharply. To keep low the signals which are >-3 dBFS, I am using gain setting of 30 dB.

I have heared that with FA filter, much higher gain settings can be used. I am goig to order the Filter, and after I receive and use it, will post the results.

Hi FA,

Just wanted to offer some feedback on my most recent Amazon order…

Late Friday night I ordered my second FA filter and Pro Stick through Amazon Prime, along with a couple of short USB cables. The Pro Stick is supposed to be here Friday, but the package with my first three items arrived though UPS today. There weren’t any obvious signs of damage to the package but when I opened it I found just the empty plastic bag that the filter should have been in. The FA card was still stapled to it but the seam on the side of the bag was split open.

After much searching on the Amazon site I couldn’t find anything that seemed to address the possibility that an item might be missing from their package, so I chose to return the item and selected “Missing parts or accessories” from the Return Reason drop-down. I’ve printed out their return label and I’ll be sending back the empty baggie as my “return” for credit.

The “box” they sent these three items in wasn’t much more than a sheet of cardboard that’s been folded over into a rather flat box shape. I suspect that if the filter even made it into the box it could have wriggled out a gap in the box’s sides once it was loose from the bag. This would be less likely a possibility if the bag were sturdy enough that the filter couldn’t get out.

I expect this will get cleared up eventually with Amazon. In the mean time the Pro Stick won’t be much use to me when it arrives Friday without the filter, so I guess I’ll be ordering another one.

Thanks,
John

… and so the waiting begins…

Just ordered two filters via the wifi_expert on ebay, as thats the only way to get them here to Australia.

All up US$62 (about AU$86 allowing for PayPals crappy exchange rate) deliver. ETA about May 20.

Will be interesting to see if they make any difference considering the rapid rollout of 4G & 4GX services in Australia at the moment.

They shipped really fast to NZ - circa 5 days. The filter certainly helps here. It’s still a good price for a pretty good filter by all accounts. There is a Mini-circuits equivalent filter which is smaller and much lighter, but also more expensive.

There is a really good cavity filter from the guys that made the Mode S Beast
shop.jetvision.de/epages/6480790 … ucts/71010

It is 89.25 € so isn’t cheap, but it has less loss and a much narrower bandwidth.
It may be useful if your site is near a radar transmitter(1030Mhz) or DME.

There stats:-
Passband Attenuation: 0.5 dB
-3 dB Bandwidth: better than 9 MHz
-10 dB at 25MHz