FlightAirMap - watching Your live Data next Level

Just use docker on the Pi4?

Hereā€™s an interesting thing I found in FlightAirMap:

When you click on an aircraft shown on the map, it brings up the flight and aircraft details, but it doesnā€™t show the aircraft hex code anywhere. However, if you hover over the ā€˜track it linkā€™ or the flight number under the photo (the one thet takes you to the flight details page), the hex code is contained in URL.

Since updating my FlightAirMap database from my Virtual Radar Server one, FAM has been working better in terms of correctly identifying 'planes and showing ACARS messages but the 'plane icons jump all over the screen, which I assume is due to the way it polls the JSON from VRS.

Anyway, Iā€™ve reverted to collecting data from the dump1090 outputs and it is working well now. Iā€™m resigned to having to keep the database updated manually for the foreseeable future but would like to find a way of correcting duff info and filling in the blanks automatically.

Went to look at FlightAirMap yesterday and every 'plane was showing NA next to it. Messed about with it for a bit and decided the easiest thing was to reboot the Pi. Only problem is, it wonā€™t reboot because the root filesystem is corrupted and I canā€™t repair it.

My most recent useable image is from before all the changes I made to get it to where it was but despite all the effort I put into it, Iā€™m not that upset and I donā€™t think Iā€™m going to bother reinstating it.

I now have a 4GB RPi 4 that is begging for another project.

That sucks.
Iā€™ve had a few sd cards appear corrupt but they just had space issues.
Purged a bunch of junk like logs and cleaned sources and they came back up.

If only.

Couldnā€™t mount the root partition on anything as it was corrupt/unreadable/dirty. Couldnā€™t fix it as it reported an error after a minute or so.

edit: ran a read/write scan and found some ā€˜bad sectorsā€™.

I started getting ACARS/VDL2 withdrawal symptoms after ten days so I reinstated FlightAirMap on a new SD card.

Lost a month or soā€™s worth of data and had to re-run the update but everything is working tickety boo again.

Just need to figure out a way of keeping the aircraft data up to date automatically as the method Iā€™m using is too time consuming.

Looking for some advice here, followed the Raspbian directions and Iā€™m up and running with FlightAirMap on a debian VM, using my Piaware aircraft.json as the data source. I see planes, but the altutide and speed are missing from all of the planes. Iā€™m guessing something has changed in FAā€™s version of the aircraft.json file and itā€™s not lining up with FAM.
Running the daemon-spotter.php file in the console, hereā€™s an example of what Iā€™m seeing:
DATA : hex : A8B848 - ident : DAL8933 - ICAO : B752 - Departure Airport : KCLT - Arrival Airport : KPHL - Latitude : 42.267746 - Longitude : -95.115946 - waypoints : - Altitude : - Heading : 203 - Speed : - Departure Airport Time : - Arrival Airport time : - Source Name : piaware

So as you can see, the fields for Altitude and Speed are emptyā€¦ any thoughts?

Also Iā€™ve noticed that the counter for AirCraft Visible in the corner is nearly double what Iā€™m seeing in SkyAware. Any thoughts there?

Thanks!

you can view the raw version of your aircraft.json via your Skyaware. Did you do that?

As far as i remember the URL is /data/aircraft.json added to your Skyview URL

Yes, the data is in the aircraft.json file, next step was to review the json keys and see what daemon-spotter.php is expecting and modify as needed, but didnā€™t have much time yesterday. Wondering if anyone else has seen this and knew what I might have missed, or if FAā€™s Dump1090 had modified their json file so they are using new keys that FlightAirMap doesnā€™t recognize.

Some of the keys did change, several years ago.

1 Like
altitude changed to alt_baro
speed changed to gs
vert_rate change to baro_rate

Obviously there is also alt_geom and geom_rate but you donā€™t require them.
You could make the logic use either i suppose.

Thank you, I believe I found the section within the spotter.php file, but my PHP is a little rusty. Iā€™ve tried changing the speed to gs in numrous spots within this file, and Iā€™m still not seeing speeds show up when I run the PHP file in the console. I believe this is the correct section for the aircraftjson type, correct?

} elseif ($value['format'] === 'aircraftjson' && 
    (
	(isset($globalSources[$id]['minfetch']) && (time() - $last_exec[$id]['last'] > $globalSources[$id]['minfetch'])) || 
	(!isset($globalSources[$id]['minfetch']) && (time() - $last_exec[$id]['last'] > $globalMinFetch))
    )
) {
    $buffer = $Common->getData($value['host']);
    $all_data = json_decode($buffer,true);
    if (isset($all_data['aircraft']) && isset($all_data['now']) && $all_data['now'] > time()-1800) {
	$reset = 0;
	foreach ($all_data['aircraft'] as $key => $line) {
	    $data = array();
	    // add support for ground vehicule with ~ in front of hex
	    if (isset($line['hex'])) $data['hex'] = $line['hex']; // hex
	    if (isset($line['flight'])) $data['ident'] = trim($line['flight']); // ident
	    if (isset($line['altitude'])) $data['altitude'] = $line['altitude']; // altitude
	    if (isset($line['speed'])) $data['speed'] = $line['speed']; // speed
	    if (isset($line['track'])) $data['heading'] = $line['track']; // heading
	    if (isset($line['lat'])) $data['latitude'] = $line['lat']; // lat
	    if (isset($line['lon'])) $data['longitude'] = $line['lon']; // long
	    if (isset($line['vert_rate'])) $data['vert_rate'] = $line['vert_rate']; // verticale rate
	    if (isset($line['squawk'])) $data['squawk'] = $line['squawk']; // squawk
	    //$data['emergency'] = ''; // emergency
	    //$data['registration'] = $line[2];
	    //$data['aircraft_icao'] = $line[0];
	    $data['datetime'] = date('Y-m-d H:i:s');
	    $data['format_source'] = 'aircraftjson';
	    $data['id_source'] = $id_source;
	    if (isset($value['name']) && $value['name'] != '') {
		    if (isset($line['mlat']) && !empty($line['mlat'])) $data['source_name'] = $value['name'].'_MLAT';
		    else $data['source_name'] = $value['name'];
	    } elseif (isset($line['mlat']) && !empty($line['mlat'])) $data['source_name'] = 'MLAT';
	    if (isset($value['noarchive']) && $value['noarchive'] === TRUE) $data['noarchive'] = true;
	    $SI->add($data);
	    unset($data);
	}

Well you need to change 2 of the 3 occurences ā€¦ otherwise youā€™ll change the internal variables which is something you donā€™t want to mess with.

2 Likes

Thanks! it took me a fresh set of eyes and another day, but got this fixed. $line[ā€˜gsā€™] and the others as you mentioned, now all is well. thanks!

Iā€™ve set up Flightairmap during the last couple of days on one of my available Raspberries.

It is working with acceptable performance on a Pi4
But the data they are using seem to be pretty much outdated, even if the database updates look current.

• more than 50% of the routes are incorrect
  • lots of aircraft data are shown as ā€œnot availableā€. Itā€™s not only the case for newer aircraft

As a fan of stats i would not rely on them. Especially the first one is interesting as my local VRS instance are showing most of the routes correct, so these should be there.

1 Like

The lower one is the correct routeā€¦ DB updated tonight
Checking the history of this aircraft shows that it was never on a route between Latvia and Bremen

Had another SD card destroyed by flightairmap yesterday. Same as before - system was running but not updating so I tried rebooting but it wouldnā€™t mount the volumes so I tried to check the disk in a laptop with LINUX but the card was unreadable.

Yes, the write access is significant, therefore a real HD/SSD is recommended.

Iā€™m not sure it is worth the effort of reconfiguring the system to use an SSD or HDD because of all the issues with the data.