Flight block in a filed message is empty apart from faId

Hi,

I am involved in writing a proof of concept application that uses the FlightAware alert notifications. My app has been registered to receive push notification in JSON format. When the application receives an ‘filed’ message (i.e. one with an event_type of ‘filed’), with the exception of the Flight Aware Id, all the other fields in the Flight block are null. There is also an error set stating ‘Extended details unavailable: build_json_flight_body_v1 could not load details’. For other types of messages / event codes (e.g. departure, arrival) the Flight block is populated.

Any assistance welcome.

Thanks.

An example of a ‘filed’ message logged by the application:

[longDescription=British Airways #319 (A319) has just filed a flight plan. It is scheduled to depart from Charles de Gaulle/Roissy (LFPG/CDG) 15:45 BST Thursday heading for London Heathrow (EGLL/LHR) for an estimated arrival at 17:50 BST.,
shortDescription=BAW319 (A319) filed to depart LFPG/CDG @ Thu 15:45 BST for EGLL/LHR @ ETA 17:50 BST ,
summary=BAW319 filed a flight plan LFPG/CDG -> EGLL/LHR,
eventCode=filed,
alertId=5633502,
flight=Flight [
id=null,
aircraftType=null,
origin=null,
destination=null,
estimatedFlightDuration=null,
route=null,
faId=BAW319-1381814867-airline-0148:2,
filedAltitude=null,
filedAirspeed=null,
filedTime=null,
filedDepartureTime=null,
estimatedArrivalTime=null,
actualArrivalTime=null,
actualDepartureTime=null,
reg=null,
error=Extended details unavailable: build_json_flight_body_v1 could not load details,
estimatedBlockinTime=null,
actualBlockinTime=null,
actualBlockoutTime=null,
filedArrivaltime=null,
filedBlockinTime=null,
estimatedBlockoutTime=null,
filedBlockoutTime=null]
]

Do you have the ability to debug/view the raw JSON that was posted to your endpoint?

Also, what language are you using for your application (Ruby, PHP, etc…)?

The endpoint is a Java servlet. The same code is used to map the messages for all event codes so I can’t see why it is having an issue with the ‘filed’ one. As per your suggestion I will add additional logging to confirm the the JSON message is being mapped correctly.

Thanks for your reply.

On occasion, the full details of the flight cannot be retrieved at the time the push notification is sent out, which is indicated by the error message “Extended details unavailable: build_json_flight_body_v1 could not load details”. In these cases, we feel it is better to deliver the alert without the extended details, rather than omit delivering the alert at all.

If you require the fields that are missing for these flights, you can try explicitly invoking FlightInfoEx with the faFlightID and see if the flight details are available yet.

Hi

Thanks for your response. It’s a bit of a pity, as we don’t need much information from the message, and many of the fields we do want are in the long and short description fields. It would be good if the fields that were present could be populated in the main structure, even if others were null. Is that likely to be possible?

I think we’ve now seen this with other types of event code too, so assume it’s the same issue. Are ‘filed’ events more likely than other types of event to be un-populated like this? Do filed events ever have these details?

Thanks in advance.

Looking at recent statistics, more than 98% of alerts that we recently sent should properly have the extended flight details. As I said, only a very small percentage of flights should have the incomplete data because we weren’t able to retrieve the full details at the time of the alert.