FlightAware Discussions

Feed PiAware with combined data from VRS?

I have three Recv’s feeding VRS. Is there a way to feed PiAware running on a Pi4, then to FlightAware? I have a north recv. looking at LasVegas airspace, another recv. looking SW for traffic from LA, and one looking SE towards Sky Harbor in Phoenix for ground operations. All will be (only one now) on 14 element Yagis @ 50ft. I would like to feed PiAware with the feed from all three?

Feeding combined data from many receiver to single piaware station number/feeder-id is discouraged by Flightaware, mainly because MLAT fails with this configuration.

The recommended method is that each receiver feeds an independent station number/feeder-id. However it is OK to have all these stations under single user account

For your own use, you can use the modesmixer2 program
http://sonicgoose.com/combining-and-rebroadcasting-ads-b-feeds-with-modesmixer2/

http://sonicgoose.com/flightawares-piaware-software-now-supports-multilateration-mlat/

VRS has already a built in combine and rebroadcast feature. If using that, Modesmixer is not required.

That rebroadcast can’t be done as raw messages which makes merging afterwards impractical.
It also can’t combine data for a single aircraft, but will instead choose a single source.

I’m not a fan, but for personal use i don’t see an issue.
But that’s not what that diagram describes.
Pretty much all aggregation sites will very much prefer that you run a single feed per receiver.

My favorite application to combine beast is readsb, but that’s a matter of taste and there are probably no in depths posts describing it.
But basically same as modesmixer you just input all the data streams you want in beast format.
https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-scripts/wiki/Automatic-installation-for-readsb#remote-data-source-radarcape-or-similar-configure-net-only-and-a-receiver-with-another-ip-address-as-a-data-source

You can merge it before rebroadcasting.
Yes, there is now RAW rebroadcast, maybe the option “passthrough” delivers something useful.

Can you please explain what data should be combined? I thought the aircraft data is “unique”, only the receiving device can be different

If you have partial reception of the same aircraft on two receivers, VRS will choose one of the partial receptions.
Changing receiver the data will get worse until it switches to the other receiver.

A better approach is to just use all raw messages from that plane to fill in the details.

Thank You for explanation

Can you give some detsils of these receivers:

1. Type of receivers: dvbt in pi or dvbt in windows computer or some other type?

2. Are these on same LAN as the VRS computer, or physically different locations?

The recommended way is not to use combine feed to Flightaware. Instesd feed these independently to Flightaware.

If your receivers are Linux based, it is easy. Simply install piaware on each of these, and configure as feeders under your same user account, but with different feeder-id’s.

If your receivers are Windows based, or some other type and can provide data in the Beast binary format over TCP, it is then possible to run 3 instances of piaware on single Pi4 (requires some linux skill), each instance with a different feeder-id under same user account. These piaware instances should be configured as “receiver-type” to “other” and “receiver-host” / “receiver-port” to the host/port of the receiver.

Thanks for all the ideas! I have three FlightAware Pro+ sticks. One on a PI4 running PiAware. The other two use Windows10. All are ground mounted right now as 110deg temps make tower work a bit hard! I have used one of the PC based Pro+ sticks at 50ft and find I have 250-275 mile range from NW Maricopa Co. including some ground aircraft at Sky Harbor in Phoenix. The PiAwrae unit is sitting in a window and gets some 100 mile signals on a 5dbi gain antenna. If I turn the 14element antenna to the NNW I get signals at LV down to 2500 ft. or so. Ground level here is about 1200ft, so the west and south are “down hill” for some distance. Sounds like I need to combine into one user account and move all three to PI4.

If you dont care for MLAT, you can feed all 3 from single piaware on Pi4

EDIT:

In the following scheme, the data of 3 receivers is NOT combined by VRS, it is combined by dump1090-fa in Pi4.

The VRS merely acts as “pass-through push server” to establish a TCP connection between Windows Receivers and dump1090-fa on Pi4.

RECEIVER-1: On Pi4

RECEIVER-2: dump1090 on Windows

RECEIVER-3: RTL1090 on Windows

Added Windows Receiver ModeSDeco2

RECEIVER-4: ModeSDeco2 on Windows

RECEIVER SETTINGS

REBROADCAST SERVER SETTINGS