Expensive Repair?

Watch dem wintips folks while taxiing!

liveleak.com/view?i=087_1198706113

Allen

They didn’t even stop!

Looks like some pilot was to busy admiring a flight attendant rather than watching the yellow line.

Holton :smiley:

Knocked that truck over like a toy with surprisingly little damge to the wing. It had to hit with quite a bit of force as the camera angle was jolted forward at impact.

I guess the pilot is just used to that sort of thing… :laughing:

What a lucky break for the passenger to just happen to be filming the right thing at the right time.

I can fix that…my Dad is like a television repairman, he has the ultimate set of tools…I can fix it.

one thing id like to know is what will happen to the Captain? surely a dismissal might be a possibility as he obviously wasnt concentrating 100%

Probably nothing. Check the video, the truck was definitely out of position and parked over the clearance line.

Duct tape fixes everything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3srEUzISC0)

Um, I’m fairly certain that doesn’t entitle the captain to run it over. And I doubt the airline much likes a captain treating its equipment that way.

Sorry officer, I didn’t realize my car was wide enough to hit the pedestrian. Yep, I think that even though the truck trailer was over the line, the pilot should have gauged it and curved around a little. I’m not a pilot but I don’t think he had rear view mirrors. Can pilots of that type of aircraft see his wing tips from the cockpit? Or does he just have to know their span measurement versus runway width?

And I’m “fairly certain” that the captain didn’t feel “entitled” to cause the incident either.

As JHEM noted, the service truck wasn’t properly positioned. Watch at 1:08 where the truck is laying on its side…with the rear of the truck clearly beyond the white safety clearance line. And the impact point on the wingtip further indicates such.

Aircraft and ground service equipment/vehicles coexist in an orchestrated chaos. Airports and airlines spend large amounts of money in ramp engineering and design to layout markings for proper safety clearances for everything… As a pilot, if he/she properly follows their designated path, specifically in ramp/gate areas, they are ensured proper clearances. That is, when ground personnel do their job and position equipment of their responsibility properly in their designated area. Next time you’re sitting in a gate area, go and look out the window at all of the markings painted on the ramp and you’ll get the idea.

In this case, the truck was out of position “by just that much”. At that point in the taxi, the Captain’s attention is on the lead-in line and the aircraft marshal bringing him in. It is the aircraft marshal’s responsibility to ensure that the parking area is clear prior to bringing the aircraft down the lead-in line. As the truck wasn’t blatently out of position, and obvious to the Captain, he continued on in.

Along with my other adventures in aviation, I was a ramper/ramp services supervisor for a major airline for 10 years…as information so that I’m not viewed as being full of *#@!. Well…not entirely anyway… :wink:

What’s your source? I’m not convinced that you’re not full of shit.

:smiling_imp:

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/783.gif From you I take that as a compliment…http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/1264.gif

I think you mean taxiway vs runway???

Naturally a little research will need to be done for wide bodied airplanes, as some taxiways may not fit the width of the plane, but a study of the airport facility directory (AFD) will tell the pilot what taxiways to avoid if a certain size ALONG with notice to airmen (NOTAMS)

The yellow taxi line is designed to “assure” wing clearances, and if the pilot deviates from that line right or left, he is taking away the clearance tolerance built in to protect the wing tips.

I know that wherever I am taxing, first thing I look for is that yellow line! :slight_smile:

Allen

I believe that is true except in the case of the new Airbus 380. Most airports have not yet ‘recertified’ for the 380’s non-standard wingspan.

Interesting enough, doing a little research AFTER my post, we pilots taxiing around airports best not depend on that taxi line for assured clearance as I originally thought.

From faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/ … html#2-3-4

1. Normal Centerline. The taxiway centerline is a single continuous yellow line, 6 inches (15 cm) to 12 inches (30 cm) in width. This provides a visual cue to permit taxiing along a designated path. Ideally, the aircraft should be kept centered over this line during taxi. However, being centered on the taxiway centerline does not guarantee wingtip clearance with other aircraft or other objects.

Learn something new everyday…

Allen

Shit! Sorry. I’ve just never been able to get away with posting that word on a website. I just had to try it once. Felt good. Thanks for letting me do that! But somehow this forum still manages to be a class act unlike some other places.

Thanks for researching my TAXIWAY question, Allen. That’s one of the things I liked that made me join this forum was the eagerness of many members to pounce on something unknown to learn an explanation.

Captain remains responsible for the safe conduct of the flight. (Unless SA rules are different.)

From the video, it was a nice, straight section of taxiway and the boss should have been able to see the mispositioning. This should have been followed by stopping and having it moved, or veering a little right of the centerline if possible. It was careless on the captain’s part.

(And I’ve hung around airports, airplanes and left seats some myself… And apologies if my tone came off a little short.)

A) AFAICT it wasn’t a section of taxiway, it was a portion of the ramp. Ergo, the Capt. was probably keeping a good watch forward for baggage carts, tugs, service vehicles, catering trucks, etc., etc.

B) I sincerely doubt that it was glaringly apparent to someone in a taxiing aircraft that the truck was parked over the clearance line.

C) If a Capt. stopped his aircraft every time there was a possibility of a collision with ground traffic, he’d soon be unemployed. He has to rely on all other operators following the rules for proper operation of their vehicles, including parking them correctly! After all, that’s the reason we don’t stop on green traffic lights, we expect that the drivers who have a red light will stop. The Capt. would be correct to expect that vehicles would be properly parked.

Especially when the container was “elevated” and looked to me the base of that container was behind the clearance line.

Looked to me, somebody didn’t verify the “overhang” of the container was over the clearance line.

Allen