FlightAware Discussions

ES1090 on one computer UAT on another

I just set up a new feeder station on an old laptop. Things were going great until I added a second receiver to feed UAT. Turns out that the laptop has one USB hub (four ports on the same hub). When I added the second receiver the primary receiver (1090) was no longer able to synchronize MLAT with other receivers. If I remove the second (UAT) receiver, MLAT was fine again. Apparently two receivers don’t play well on the same hub. But I would like to continue to feed UAT along with Mode-S and MLAT. I had a thought, though, since I’ve already bought the UAT antenna, what if I were to only run dump978 on a different computer. Would I be able to merge the UAT messages into my existing FlightAware site (3731), or would the second station have to be a new site? Thanks!

Please don’t generalize.
It can be an issue under certain circumstances.
Usually it works fine.

Would need to be a 2nd site.

1 Like

You can set

piaware-config uat-receiver-type other
piaware-config uat-receiver-host secondpihostname

on the Pi running PiAware to tell it to connect to a different host for 978 data.

This will feed the 978 data to your existing site.
It won’t do anything to combine data on your local maps, though.

3 Likes

Oh yeah correct … not sure why i disregarded that …
Just dump978-fa on the extra box and make piaware on the original install get the 978 data via network.

Thanks @obj! That’s just what I wanted to hear. I also run a Virtual Radar Server and I can merge the 978 data into my map that way.

@obj I’ve issued the commands you suggested on the primary computer and looked at the advanced configuration page, but something’s missing and I’m not sure what. The primary receiver doesn’t seem to be receiving UAT messages. Is there a tutorial for setting up a secondary receiver for UAT only? Thanks.

Secondary receiver:

joe@adsb-uat:~$ sudo piaware-status
[sudo] password for joe:
PiAware master process (piaware) is running with pid 1039.
PiAware ADS-B client (faup1090) is not running.
PiAware ADS-B UAT client (faup978) is running with pid 1811.
PiAware mlat client (fa-mlat-client) is not running.
Local ADS-B receiver (dump1090) is not running.
Local ADS-B UAT receiver (dump978-fa) is running with pid 1776.

no program appears to be listening for ES connections on port 30005.
dump978-fa (pid 1776) is listening for UAT connections on port 30978.
faup1090 is NOT connected to the ADS-B receiver.
faup978 is connected to the ADS-B UAT receiver.
piaware is connected to FlightAware.

got ‘couldn’t open socket: connection refused’
dump1090 is NOT producing data on localhost:30005.
dump978 is producing data on localhost:30978.

Did you restart the piaware service or reboot the pi?

1 Like

It’s working now. I had changed the PC to a fixed IP address and forgot to add the new address to /etc/piaware.conf. I did reboot, but it seems there were no UAT aircraft for a while. Thanks.dump1090-localhost-aircraft_978-2h

1 Like