Edimax Wifi Going Out

My RPi has been going pretty steadily for a while now; almost a year, actually. However, on more than one occasion, I’ll get a notification from FlightAware or I’ll catch an Anomaly report on my ADS-B page that my feeder hasn’t updated to FlightAware for some time. When I look at the unit, I’ll notice that my Edimax Wifi Adapter is not “blinking”. This is usually indicative that the Pi is not connected to my network.

However, simply unplugging to Edimax wifi dongle and plugging it back in resolves the issue. I’m not exactly sure what is causing this, as it has happened a handful of times now. However, I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this issue, or if anyone has a remedy for such?

Ah, check this thread–

http://discussions.flightaware.com/ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/important-issue-with-realtek-8192-based-wifi-dongles-t35616.html

System default is to let the connection drop if it’s been idle for a while (just helping, really). The thread discusses the issue and how to override that behaviour.

Is this a issue also with the LAN port on the RPi? Because I put a Pi at my brothers place yesterday and everything was working fine, with no issue. I set it all up from my place and run it for 12 plus hrs before taking to his place. I am tracking a lot less planes at his place, then mine. But every few minutes or so, It would show the data feed and feeder check in a few minutes off.

So today I hooked it up at my parents place and it did the something. Could this be happening because I am only tracking a few planes? Does the LAN port go into power save mode or sleep mode.

I brought it back home and hooked it all back up. Changed what I needed to changed and it’s working fine. But I am tracking my planes per minute.

Thanks.

I’ve not seen it,

I’d be tempted to do a little script

create a file check.sh using the nano editor containing

#!/bin/bash
rm -f test.log
while true
do
  date >>  test.log
  ping -c 1 192.168.0.1 | grep "bytes from" >> test.log
  sleep  60
done

192.168.0.1 = internal address of the router where you are

do

chmod +x check.sh

to make it executable

then to run it type
./check.sh &

this will then run in background until you kill it or it dies

what it does is once a minute write the date and time to a file followed by the result of the ping

if the ping stops the output will show when it happened

if the log file stops, the process has been killed

(of course the ping may prevent a time-out occurring on the device)

I gave up on the Edimaxs. They are in the drawer now.

I also figured out yesterday that the Ethernet cables to the Pis now being nearby the antenna coax was pumping in all sorts of noise into the receive lines!

Just can’t win with networking. Time to buy shielded network cables and move everything around again.

Oh yeah the oscillator of my Mikrotik is playing havoc in my receiving room too, that has to go back out. SDR# is your friend for troubleshooting that side.

Isn’t RF fun? :wink:

How about USB extenders so the R820T isn’t near the Pi, power supplies, ethernet and so on

Isn’t there a heartbeat/keep-alive that can be configured in Dump1090? If I recall correctly the heartbeat duration is configurable, which would keep the network link active (wireless or wired). I realize that’s a band-aid to mitigate the real issue, at least in the case of the power save issue.

Although disabling PS on mine did greatly improve things, it is still rare that the thing runs for 24+ hours without the wifi dongle crapping out. As soon as I have some free time I’m moving things around in my house so that I can get this thing on wired Ethernet.

I was running mine over homeplugs/powerline adaptors for about a year (feeding FR24, before PiAware existed) - very reliable (Radio hams hate them, some early ones generate a lot of radio noise)

I’m now using a Vonets VAP11G ethernet bridge, it ads 4ms to the ping time but seems reliable. (the reason for the switch is because I put the ADSL on a separate VLAN, the home network and ADSB network are completely separate)

Use shielded ethernet cables.

Yep, I did say that in my post. I don’t have any shielded cable here, have to get some.

USB extenders would just add to the problem since the USB cables would act as antennas themselves.