FlightAware Discussions

Easily feed FlightRadar24 from PiAware

Where did you find how to install the planefinder feeder on the Pi? I would like to install it too, if possible.

Thanks,
Jeff

Head over to their forum. There is a thread for Plane Finder Client Beta2 (3.0.1435). Works fine for me and some other users that I see on both forums.

Thanks guys. Will check it out after work.

I got it installed. Seems any time it starts it is killing the dump1090 process. What port do you have it connecting to? I am guessing I need PlaneFinder and FR24 to be connecting to dump1090 on different ports? Also, what type of connection? radarcape, avr/tcp, etc? I have FR24 checking port 30003. Thanks!

EDIT: I have all 3 working, but all 3 only run for a few seconds and then the dump1090 process stops running. I haven’t been able to figure out how to turn the logging on for dump1090 to find out why it is stopping. At this point I’m unable to keep it running. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

For those of you interested in trying this out the link is here: planefinder.net/sharing/client

There is also a PDF explaining the installation, the program automatically generates a sharing key used to identify you and you do not need a username or password.

When it is installed It reads the data from port 30005. Port 30053 is used by your web browser to access the web interface to configure the feeder. I am using a Nooelec USB stick and used the Beast as my setup, this worked for me using port 30005.

There are different versions of dump1090 available. I’m not sure which one you are using but many of us here are having good results with dump1090-mutability. This also has better logging as compared to other versions. Details here: http://discussions.flightaware.com/ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/raspbian-ubuntu-packages-for-dump1090-mutability-available-t19619.html and here: https://github.com/mutability/dump1090

I’m using the standard one that comes installed with the PiAware disk image. I’m getting good results at the moment feeding three sites and sending about 600 positions a minute. I think I will leave it alone for the moment, I have to try and get the wifi working first. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll try the settings you are using when I get home rogjack. If that doesn’t work for me I’ll look into going to the mutability dump1090. Currently I’m just using whatever FlightAware packages into their SD card image.

Just tried your settings. Things ran for a little under 5 minutes and dump1090 quit. Reading the above link about moving over to dump1090-mutability. Hopefully that resolves the issue.

So far dump1090-mutability is running great and uploading to all 3 sites! It does use more cpu than the dump1090 that came on the FA sd card image, but I’m fine with that since this thing is dedicated to this one function. Good stuff, thanks for the help guys!

Jeff

That’s great, good to hear! My dump190-mutability uses about 40% CPU and I’m also feeding the 3 sites.

Initially it was using around 50% but appears to have settled down to the same ~40%. Thanks again!!

Edit, of course right after I sent this I opened the PlaneFinder Stats page and dump1090 quit again. This is what I’m seeing in the log. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this, it would be appreciated. It always seems to die after I try to load the PlaneFinder settings/stats/log page, in case that has anything to do with it.

Tue Apr 28 14:44:38 2015 CDT Trying to reconnect to the RTLSDR device…
Found 1 device(s):
0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001 (currently selected)
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Setting gain to: 49.60 dB
Gain reported by device: 49.60 dB
cb transfer status: 5, canceling…
Tue Apr 28 15:27:50 2015 CDT Warning: lost the connection to the RTLSDR device.
Tue Apr 28 17:32:57 2015 CDT dump1090-mutability v1.14 starting up.
Found 1 device(s):
Max available gain is: 49.60 dB
Error opening the listening port 30002 (Raw TCP output): bind: Address already in use
Tue Apr 28 17:33:18 2015 CDT dump1090-mutability v1.14 starting up.
Found 1 device(s):
Max available gain is: 49.60 dB
Error opening the listening port 30002 (Raw TCP output): bind: Address already in use

That logs does not give any hint why dump1090 might have died. Perhaps obj (the author of dump1090-mutability) could help. But if you think the PlaneFinder settings/stats/log page could be the trigger then perhaps it’s best to raise that in the PlaneFiner forum thread about their beta client.

I installed the mutability dump1090 last night and nothing worked after that. I ended up reinstalling the entire system along with the extra feeders. It took me about an hour or so to do this but everything worked afterwards. I followed the instructions on each of the installations and modified nothing.

I intend to back up the system to a spare SD card using rpi-clone before making any other changes.

When a system gets in a real mess it is often quicker and easier just to reinstall it all from fresh than try to fix it.

Thanks again. I may just start over. I do have a Pi 2 that I was thinking about switching over to, though I don’t think I necessarily need the additional power for this. Was going to save that for another project. I do have another SD card around, so I could try starting clean on that and see how things work.

That sounds like your problem…
Do you have multiple Dump1090 installs? It’s sounding like it, or you have multiple scripts trying to run dump1090 simultaneously.

That error only occurs after dump1090 crashes the first time. Only one version is running, but I do have 3 different programs connecting to it (PiAware, FR24, and PlaneFinder).

You’re using dump1090-mutability?
Provide the output of:

$ tail -250 /var/log/dump1090-mutability.log

and

$ dmesg -T

pastebin.com/X5uSgnZA

Reviewing your log outputs I see two correlating errors which might be related the crashing.

dmesg:

[Thu Apr 30 09:24:46 2015] usb 1-1.3: USB disconnect, device number 5

dump1090:

Thu Apr 30 09:24:47 2015 CDT  Warning: lost the connection to the RTLSDR device.

What’s your USB setup? Are you running through a hub? or direct? What other USB devices are attached?