Dump1090...not dumping any data

We do but the availability is currently patchy (supply chain issues due to COVID-19)

I am only repeating what the command shows.
And yes, iā€™ve seen USB Keyboards with additional ports to add equipment

ok after mixing and matching, long story short it looks like the usb powered extension cable that connected my pi to the antenna termination point 25 ft away was the culprit. iā€™ll buy a longer charging cable to power the pi instead of using a powered usb cable (not sure why i didnā€™t think of this in the first place). thanks all for the help and input everyone!

@obj one last thing, is this of any concern? [2020-06-12 09:48 PDT] Failed to update feeder ID file at /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id: no space left on device

Yes, thatā€™s a problem - youā€™ve run out of space on the sdcard apparently.

i havenā€™t touched anything on it since 2017. is there a way to purge some log files if any?

OK, so it appears to be a missing/unrecognized USB device for me as well:

pi@PIAWARE:~ $ sudo lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0424:7800 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

pi@PIAWARE:~ $ journalctl -u dump1090-fa
ā€¦
Jun 12 20:09:52 PIAWARE systemd[1]: Started dump1090 ADS-B receiver (FlightAware customization).
Jun 12 20:09:52 PIAWARE dump1090-fa[19427]: Fri Jun 12 20:09:52 2020 PDT dump1090-fa 3.8.1 starting up.
Jun 12 20:09:52 PIAWARE dump1090-fa[19427]: rtlsdr: no supported devices found.
Jun 12 20:09:52 PIAWARE systemd[1]: dump1090-fa.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

I do not have a USB hub, however I do notice that the blue/white light on the dongle is constant on. I donā€™t remember it doing that before, but I may have just missed it.

Yes, I did power-down for around half an hour just in case there was some wedged state.

I also have tons of disk space (see my ā€˜dfā€™ output earlier above).

I think I may have another dongle somewhere. I will try to find that one and swap it out.

Thanks,

David

XXXXXXXXXX
Update 8:45pm
XXXXXXXXXX

I re-seated the dongle and it worked. As its light was on before I hadnā€™t considered an electrical connection problem. So, I guess it was just a coincidence that Fill & I had dongle problems about the same time.

Thanks for the help. More tools in the toolbox now.

David

Well, they should be being autorotated anyway. Itā€™s hard to suggest what to clean up without knowing where the space is going; you may have to do some digging yourself. If it is logfiles, look in /var/log to start with.

That said, you may want to look at re-imaging anyway to pick up a more recent OS distribution (2017 was probablyā€¦ jessie?)

Thatā€™s what i have identified on my Pi 4 also.
From time to time after a reboot, the Stick is not recognized. Plugging off and on again solved it.
Not sure what causes this.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.