Data Usage

It’s been a while since anyone has asked this question and IMHO non of the previous posts really answered the questions directly.

My remote site is currently reporting about 2500 aircraft a day and I might be needing to make changes to the ISP. I wanted to see how much data I was actually consuming to see what my potential costs could be. I don’t have a way to look directly at the switch for usage for what the specific IP is using. I need a way to use the application or the PI to report on it’s monthly usage directly. Am, I missing something already available???

Anyone done this before?

Thanks,
Eric

ifconfig eth0 or ifconfig wlan0 will show you data usage.
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.xxxxx netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.1x,y.z
inet6 2001:470xxxx prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x0
inet6 fe80::d0cxxxx prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20
ether dc:a6:3xxxx txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 10682302 bytes 1461904831 (1.3 GiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 565968 bytes 369412858 (352.2 MiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

Then uptime to see how long the device has been up

Is this the sort of thing you’re after?

http://essexradar.co.uk:1085/dump1090-fa/net/

Install instructions here.

Take a look at darkstat.

The solutions provided above include your local traffic which is not going through the ISP (e.g. if you access the web interface from your local network).

The traffic depends which sites you are feeding. Some require more traffic than others

With darkstat you can monitor the traffic per host

https://www.unixmen.com/install-darkstat-on-ubuntu-linux/

Another solution would be ntopNG, but that requires more ressources and more work to set it up.

It’s a remote site so my logic was that there won’t be any local traffic - Plus using the vnstati method, all traffic is monitored so it will actually give a good true indication of all data in and out of the Pi.

Sure, i overlooked the statement “remote”.

However, giving some alternatives is never a bad idea. I like darkstats as it shows traffic per remote host. That gives you an indication which feed consumes which data

Of course - More options are better than fewer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep.
One of my sites has gone long stretches with no traffic other than the Pi.
Typical reporting was 250~300 planes per day (I’ll see if I can verify this).
My ISP metered ~20Mb per day without MLAT, 60Mb/day with MLAT

I want to thank everyone that posted solutions to my issue. I’ll have to dig into my system and install one of these applications.

Thanks again…

Eric

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.