FlightAware Discussions

Curious what others are getting for performance

I’ve been running a Raspberry PI for about 5 years now with a cheap DTV dongle and a homebrew cantenna. Seems like it works fine, but I’m wondering if my statistics are similar to others. This is a sample from about the busiest time of day:
Thanks and happy spotting :slight_smile:
Thad

It’s all about location location location… so nothing really to compare to except your neighbor.

2 Likes

Have a look at your flightaware home page on sites close to you, that should answer your question

3 Likes

Best location is nothing without good hardware. And vice versa :wink:

1 Like

I disagree.
If you are in a hole, no amount of “throwing money at it” will buy you good stats.
Similarly, if you are on top of a hill, a wet string will pull in signals sites in a valley can only dream about.

You did not get my statement

Good location without proper hardware is nothing. Proper hardware without good location the same.

Maybe fox is referencing a FC0012 tuner? :slight_smile:
Compared to that pretty much everything would be “good hardware”.

But i do agree … if you don’t use really crappy hardware then location will be 90 % of the game.

Check your actual vs theoretical range then.
GitHub - wiedehopf/tar1090: Provides an improved webinterface for use with ADS-B decoders readsb / dump1090-fa
GitHub - wiedehopf/tar1090: Provides an improved webinterface for use with ADS-B decoders readsb / dump1090-fa

That’s what i meant. Use a simple DVB-T stick and a broadband antenna without amp or filter.
Maybe i should have specified this better.

Don’t be so argent.
I understand exactly what you said and I disagree.

Maybe, but none of the FC00xx will go to 1090MHz, so it doesn’t really rate as “poor”. It’s a non-starter.

True, but to be fair (with the exception of the airspy) every receiver I can think of uses the Realtek RTL2832 with the Rafael 820T/T2 meaning the worst are still ‘good’.

An amp and filter are site specific requirements which may or may not be needed, but should not be thought of as “required”.

A non LNA SDR with one of the detuned whips connected … and even if you cut it to length and add a ground plane …
You’ll be limited to around 150 nmi even on a hill i think.
Without modifying the antenna you’ll likely not exceed 100 nmi.

As such … i’d agree that you need both location and hardware.

But as soon as you get a FA or adsbx or vinnant or even a good chinese nobrand colinear … location becomes the dominating factor.
But then to exceed around 200 nmi you’ll need to add an LNA with filter probably.

You have a station with an off brand SDR getting and dirt cheap (non home made) antenna that gets more than 150 nmi?

Your point is well made, but I did, yes. The Pi has just failed (appears to boot, but no USB or ethernet), so it’s off air.
It ran a $3 PCB dipole (4m AGL) on a generic dongle.
It could certainly manage 150NM routinely and a touch more on a good day.
It was co-located with a “better” receiver (RB24-green) and a multi-element PCB antenna mounted 9m AGL (this multi-element antenna appears not to be any better than the dipole)