Creepy Aircraft Photo - Please Identify...

I have a friend who took this picture of a 747 carcass at Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport a few years ago. Anyone know anything about it?

Looks like a aircraft fire training simulator

Photos 1 and
Video

ORD had/has one that resembles a DC-10

Bingo. We get to train on these once a year. They are not retired aircraft, but specially built out of steel. Aluminum fuselages would melt down the first time you burned them.

Awesome - thanks for the responses!

Damn…we never got to train on those…ours were made out steel tubes made to LOOK like an A/C. Good ole govt spending. Always sent to the lowest bidder. :frowning:

Well I will admit, I never got to train on one THAT big before either. The best one I have done is when I did my initial at Lake Superior College in Duluth, MN. For our annual recurrent burns we usually use the mobile trainer from University of Missouri.

flightaware.com/photos/view/2417 … ate/page/1

This is what they use at KSAT, they must have some kind of container inside of the aircraft they fill with flammables, saw a story one time about trucks out there that have an extendable probe that pokes thru the skin and sprays foam inside, which explains all the holes in fuselage, you can see where they added reinforcement strips along the side.

Or terrorists were practicing shooting down airplanes with their truck-mounted .50 cal. . .

I would say that aircraft has never been burned, no smoke residue around the doors. They probably use it for training with their penetrating nozzle (all the holes), and probably other drills, but it doesn’t look like it is burned.

The “aircraft” in the original post is a custom built steel aircraft, rigged with propane lines inside, much like a barbeque grill (thats what it feels like too!). The “fires” are computer controlled from outside the aircraft, and can simulate almost anything the operator wants to. They can also make it easy to put out the fire, or impossible. The good thing about the system, if there is an accident or emergency, there are red buttons everywhere. Push one, and the fire is gone instantly.