Comparison of different dongles for 978 MHz UAT reception

Here’s my last week or two data with the updated graphs and RTL-SDR 3 for 978. Weather has been rotten for VFR lots of rainy days and thunderstorms. Today is nice so far but no activity for some reason.:

dump1090-localhost-aircraft_978-7d dump1090-localhost-messages_978-7d dump1090-localhost-range_978-7d dump1090-localhost-signal_978-7d

Not sure where this should be posted. After not paying attention, just noticed my UAT graphs stopped updating. Possibly after updating to piaware 3.7.2 via the FA website. image

after running

sudo bash -c "$(wget -q -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiedehopf/graphs1090/master/install.sh)"

and ```
sudo systemctl restart collectd

looks like it is fixed

URL changed to /skyaware978, the installation script automatically fixes the configuration file.

2 Likes

After setting gain to 25 on 9/19, max range has decreased, but overall aircraft count has increased
A new max aircraft of 40 on 9/27- Probably as good as it will get without moving antenna outdoors in this lightning and hurricane prone area.

Is there a chance Flightaware would be selling a 978 dongle with internal preamp and 978 filter in the future? Just curious, might be putting up another system at a local airfield, would help to keep things really simple.
-G.

I hope they will.

Meanwhile you can use this one (price $14.95 + shipping $4.99).
I have already ordered this one about a week ago, just to see how it performs. Waiting for delivery:

1 Like

Can you just swap it out? I’m using the FA Orange Stick right now with PiAware image to feed 978 to FA. Seems that this might be tuned better? Just wondering, thanks!

Hopefully yes.
When it is delivered, I will replace the FA Orange Stick (which I am currently using for dump978-fa) by RB Red Stick and see what difference it makes.

1 Like

Sweet. Ordered it, it’ll be here tomorrow!

Seems you have ordered from Amazon with express delivery.
I ordered from RadarBox store. Their shipping are low ($4.99). On top of that, they charge one shipping charge ($4.99) even though I have ordered 2 items together.

It’s hard to resist the bargain price of those. Be aware the reduced size of the plastic case may reduce the mechanical strength of the unit

They stop working if the usb connector comes off. As might be expected…

I have experience this.

My green dongle’s USB connector is no more aligned to the axis of the dongle. It got bent few degrees to one side, when I pushed it hard accidentally hit it by my foot while it was plugged into USB socket of my Desktop. However the dongle is still working OK.

Have ordered a 978 dongle to try out. The new location is farther away from users and less likely to get damaged.

Amazon Prime. So no extra charge for shipping. Usually what they call one-day shipping and I get the item within 1 or 2 days of ordering. Kindof surprised ordering this late in the day it would be here tomorrow but I’ll take it! $14.99 plus sales tax.

No sales tax when I ordered it from RadarBox24’s store RadarBox Store - AirNav RadarBox - Global Flight Tracking Intelligence | Live Flight Tracker and Airport Status .

Order #1 (7 days ago)

Order #2 (2 days ago)

1 Like

How To Keep it Kool

Caution: Dont drill holes in fully assembled Dongle. :wink:
Open case, remove PCB, and then drill holes.

Quote from https://www.radarbox24.com/flightstick978:

Technically, in the US we have to report internet purchases to state tax authorities for which sales tax has not been paid. At the time of state tax filing we get to pay the sales tax. Amazon withholds sales tax now in most (if not all) counties.

2 Likes

@thespeedycab
As far as I know, in Canada sales tax are to be paid only on items sold in Canada. No sales tax to be paid for items purchased outside Canada. An import duty may be applied by customs when such item arrives Canad, but such low cost items fall below the minimum cost of dutiable items.

Just found this thread - presently using a NooElec Smart v4 Dongle with 1/4 wave ground plane in the attic, 10ft of FSJ1-50 and Light-Blue FlightAware filter.

I ordered the RadarBox dongle from Amazon today and it’s supposed to arrive tomorrow. Will be very interested to see the difference that the inbuilt LNA and filter make to my reception - here’s my last 7 days graphs.