Cannot add a second site to my account

I am trying to add a second site to my account. If I go to:

Only my first site is shown. However, the second site is connected, sending data and displays as unclaimed. Once I have the new sit up reliably I will install it at another location.

pi@raspberrypi_ii:~ $ piaware
2018-06-01 18:21:54Z warning: /etc/piaware.conf: failed to read config file: couldn’t open “/etc/piaware.conf”: permission denied
2018-06-01 18:21:55Z failed to reopen /var/log/piaware.log: couldn’t open “/var/log/piaware.log”: permission denied
2018-06-01 18:21:55Z ****************************************************
2018-06-01 18:21:55Z piaware version 3.5.3 is running, process ID 4375
2018-06-01 18:21:55Z your system info is: Linux raspberrypi_ii 4.14.34+ #1110 Mon Apr 16 14:51:42 BST 2018 armv6l GNU/Linux
2018-06-01 18:21:56Z Connecting to FlightAware adept server at piaware.flightaware.com/1200
2018-06-01 18:21:57Z Connection with adept server at piaware.flightaware.com/1200 established
2018-06-01 18:21:57Z TLS handshake with adept server at piaware.flightaware.com/1200 completed
2018-06-01 18:21:58Z FlightAware server certificate validated
2018-06-01 18:21:58Z encrypted session established with FlightAware
2018-06-01 18:21:58Z warning: /etc/piaware.conf: failed to read config file: couldn’t open “/etc/piaware.conf”: permission denied
2018-06-01 18:22:01Z ADS-B data program ‘dump1090-fa’ is listening on port 30005, so far so good
2018-06-01 18:22:01Z Starting faup1090: /usr/lib/piaware/helpers/faup1090 --net-bo-ipaddr localhost --net-bo-port 30005 --stdout
2018-06-01 18:22:02Z Started faup1090 (pid 4400) to connect to dump1090-fa
2018-06-01 18:22:02Z logged in to FlightAware as user guest
2018-06-01 18:22:02Z my feeder ID is 27c07440-483f-4beb-9e6e-e19b7285b2af
2018-06-01 18:22:02Z Failed to update feeder ID file at /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id: couldn’t open “/var/cache/piaware/feeder_id.new”: permission denied
2018-06-01 18:22:02Z site statistics URL: https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/site/81499
2018-06-01 18:22:03Z piaware received a message from dump1090-fa!
2018-06-01 18:22:10Z piaware has successfully sent several msgs to FlightAware!
2018-06-01 18:22:32Z 15 msgs recv’d from dump1090-fa; 15 msgs sent to FlightAware

This happens if the Pi and the computer from which you visit claim page are on two different networks, for example the Pi is connected to your home internet, while the computer/tablet/phone from which you are visiting claim page is connected to your office internet, or the phone from which you are trying to claim is on mobile data network.

You have to claim new station from a computer/tablet/phone on same network as the Pi.

I tried to claim it from the pi that it is running on and a computer on the same network. I have another pi on the same network also. Could that be the issue?

1. Clear the current unclaimed station.
    Note: there is no space between two quote marks at the end of the command below, bu it looks in this post as if there is a space. Just copy-paste the commands and it will be OK.

sudo piaware-config feeder-id ""

The above command will give following output

Cleared setting for feeder-id in /etc/piaware.conf:9

2. Restart Piaware
    sudo systemctl restart piaware

3. Wait for 5 minutes, then go to claim page and see if you can claim new Station.

Thanks for your help. I was in hurry when I first responded an forgot my manners.

The suggestions you provided did not fix the problem so I downloaded the piaware image from flihjtAware and now it is up and running. I have a mountain between my site and the Baltimore-Washington corridor so after this one is stable it will be located on the other side of the mountain.

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know that you have solved the problem.

Hi guys,

It’s been a while - hi @abcd567 !

Finally got my dad interested in ADS-B, and he’s setting up a new station on the Isle of Wight here in the UK, I’m about 400 miles North of him, in Yorkshire.

I’d like to (help him) set his station up, then “claim” it under my account so we can combine.

Slightly concerned to read that to “claim” the second station, it needs to be on the same local network?

Of course, here, it won’t be…

Also, if we just want his station to appear as a second station of mine - would we use my login details, or set him up as a new user?

Thanks - looking forward to adding another feed! :slight_smile:

@cy80rg I believe you might succeed in claiming the station as your own in one of two ways.

Set up the entire kit (hardware, software) at home, on the same network as your PC, verify it is running by connecting to the device’s Skyview page. The device ‘should’ have created the site ID and connected to FlightAware and since it is on the same network as you are, you should be able to claim the station. Then ship the kit, or pack it up and go visit, and set it all up at your father’s place.

Another way is to do all the above at your father’s place, logged in to FlightAware from a computer on the same network as the feeder station.

In either case, the new station would be under your FlightAware ID.

For new station to appear under your name as second station, you should be logged in to your account when claiming.

Also as @AhrBee has already mention, at the time of claiming, the Pi and the PC from which you are claiming should be on same network. This can be either at your home or at your father’s home.

The claiming step is only to associate the piaware site with a FlightAware user account. PiAware sites can work without associating it but you will not get the account upgrade and myADSB stats page.

1. Have a PiAware site send ADSB messages to FlightAware. During the check-in the piaware IP will be stored on our servers.
  2. Log into your FlightAware account. When you go to the claim a piaware the IP of your logged in user account and the PiAware site are compared. If they match you will be set as the owner of the piaware site.
  3. You can then view your site online with myADSB stats just by logging into FlightAware.

We have a support email if you have any problems with ADSB. This includes the claiming process.
adsbsupport@flightaware.com

Thanks guys - sorry for the delayed responce…

My dad will be ordering all his own gear to his home on the Island, and building it there… so at no point during the setup will it be on my network…

If I gave him my login details, he logged in there (on the Island), then claimed his own (new) station - under my login - that would be on the same network as the user (me) was logged in on - so I guess that could work?

Would fA know or care that - under normal conditions, beyond claiming - the new station is on a different IP?

Guessing not…?

It will be alright. I have 2 stations myself and one is in my native town and the other is in the village my grandmother lives.

Each site can be located anywhere in the world.

Each site has a FlightAware user account as the owner. The automatic claim webpage will link up site on the same network without the need to contact adsb support.

If you own multiple site under one account you can select each one from the list on your myADSB stats page.

If you want to claim a site on a different network (this might be hard to verify that you actual own the site)
OR
move a site from one owner to another you will need to contact support.
adsbsupport@flightaware.com

The best way is to setup the site under the user account you want it to be under. Then you can move the site anywhere you want in the world.