British pilot arrested after trying to land at Bush's Ranch


An British pilot flying solo around the world was arrested by U.S. police today after trying to land his plane at George Bush’s ranch in Texas.

Retired vet Maurice Kirk, 63, wanted to “drop in” on the president to say thanks after American coastguards saved his life two months ago.

Full Story


Congrats on your 1000th post! 8)

BTW: That was funny! I’ll have to squawk it.


The British publicity hound (read drama queen) is lucky he didn’t meet the USAF up close and personal.


I’m surprised they didn’t light him up.


Maybe he wanted to crash Jenna’s wedding. Too bad it was the wrong day…


Yeah, he crashed near here, in our waters about 2 months ago, USCG rescued him. Strange guy, he crashed in Paris also. Seems he has little experience but is trying to fly all around the world… beats me.


What is this world coming to???


What’s he gonna do next? Land a Cessna in Red Square?
…Wait…someone already did that… 8)


If he had any gonads at all, he’d try puttin’ it down at:
38 53 55.44N 77 02 11.25W :smiley:


That’s been tried too… ended badly for the guy in the 152!


Well, sort of. That guy was suicidal and was hell-bent on crashing. I’m talking about actually landing and getting out of the plane. 8)


Jim Ray, the chief test pilot for the Pitcairn company, famously landed a Pitcairn Autogiro on the lawn of the White House in 1931 to accept the Collier Trophy from Pres. Hoover. But I can’t find a photo to post of the event.

But I’m sure everyone recognizes Ken Wallis and Little Nellie!


I’m guessing he had permission to land there, so that doesn’t really count either.

Err… umm, no. After googling “‘Ken Wallis’ ‘Little Nellie’” I learned that he piloted “Little Nellie” in the Bond film “You Only Live Twice” and also that he was involved in a spectacular gyro crash and walked away.


'Bush took away my pilot’s licence’
May 20/08 from South Wales Echo News

Flying vet Maurice Kirk has vowed to fight to continue his worldwide tour after being deported from America and having his license taken away.

The 63-year-old, from Barry, was detained last month after landing his small Piper Cub plane near President Bush’s ranch in Texas.

He had been trying to leave a message for Mr Bush to pass on his thanks to the US Coast Guard, which rescued him after his plane crash-landed in the Carribean Sea in February.

The dad of four, whose video interview appears on, told the Echo he had been escorted to Gatwick by two US officials on Friday. After visiting the Civil Aviation Authority, he said was told his licence had been suspended.

But the 63-year-old said; “I have plans to carry on flying around Africa, go across to Nepal. I still want to fly to Everest. To be grounded is absolutely devastating. I just hope the CAA changes its mind.”

He admitted, although he was hoping to persuade the CAA to give his licence back, he was doubtful he would be allowed back to America.

Maurice, who has been a commercial and stunt pilot, had been attempting to fly around the world when he was detained by US authorities. He had also been due to give a series of lectures to schools about his adventures
travelling to different countries. Describing the events surrrounding his capture, he said he had decided to visit Texas and had been staying in Waco when he got the idea of leaving a message with the President.

"I realised that I was right near the ranch of George W and I thought I could knock on his door and leave a note to thank him for the US Coast Guard saving my life.

“But the idea went pear-shaped. Since what heppened in New York, they have decided to set up what is called Homeland Security and I got mixed up in it.”

He continued; “I landed about four miles from the ranch, about a mile outside the permanent prohibited zone. I started walking and was taking pictures of plants and animals.”

“I then heard a screech of tires behind me. I turned around carefully because I was suspicious it may be somebody of authority. I saw two armed guys coming towards me, who I now know were from the Secret Service. Before I knew it, I was on the ground in handcuffs.”

“Within 30 minutes there were 11 government vehicles there, including the FBI.”

After a week being assessed in a psychiatric hospital, he was released, but he said he was arressted within a day. He then found himself in a
deportation centre."

“I was denied access to a telephone and any communication with my wife or with my Embassy. But I was treated well. I won’t have anything bad said against the Secret Service - they were gentlemen.”

Maurice, who has held a licence since 1964, denied committing any offence. The former vet was struck off six years ago because of convictions for offences including assault.

“The US authorities told me I had been deported because I had endangered life. They said I landed on the road outside Mr Bush’s front door. But I landed in a field four miles away. The CAA acted on the
information it was given.”

His plane - called the Liberty Girl - is still in America.

“My family were very upset,” said Maurice, whose wife Kirstie runs Barry Animal Health Centre in Tynewydd Road. My wife said the obvious; ‘You ought to know better Maurice’."

Mr Bush was in Washington at the time Mr Kirk approached the ranch.


Yeah I just read that and came on to mention it… but why did the UKCAA suspend his license? Thought they wouldn’t give a flying * if he landed by the president’s ranch…

Deported because he endangered life? Heck, if they were to do that the U.S. would only have 50 million people… they’re just tryna get rid of him…


Well, yeah! After all he is Welsh and everyone knows we’re all barking mad!


Maurice flew into our FBO at KHYI (San Marcos, TX) a week before his stunt at the Crawford Ranch. He bought a sectional for that area and we pointed out the restricted zone around the ranch (as we usually do for non-Texans about to fly in that area).

Maurice is quite a character! My line guy is a new pilot and he thought it was so neat that this guy is living a dream … flying all around the world. Maurice told us the tale of him ditching into the Carribean Sea, and how the U.S. Coast Guard saved him. Little did we know that he was going to fly out to the Ranch to “Thank the President for his Coast Guard’s great job”!!

I’ll never forget Maurice’s last words as he walked out of the FBO: “Does the FAA come here very often?” We told him that they come about once a month or so. He replied, “GOOD!”, and then he was gone…

Pretty exciting stuff for our little ol’ FBO!! :open_mouth:


What? When did this happen?


Are you serious J? May 28, 1987.


Sorry, I never remember this happening. Well, sounded pretty funny, eluding the Soviets!