British Airways 777 question

my best friend and I are going to London in Jan. It’s both our first trips across the pond, but I’m wondering what to expect in World Traveller (ie coach) class on a BA 777 from ATL to LGW. I can’t seem to get a decent description on BA website. Anybody know?

Thanks so much.

World Traveler class is quite a bit more spacious than regular coach:

seatguru.com/airlines/Britis … 77-200.php

It appears that “World Traveler” has two classes, + (business class) and regular (coach).

Interestingly there are no “good” seats in first class according to their diagram!

Yeah, we’re in coach. But we have a TV. Yeah! Though, no laptop power. boo.

I noticed the no good seat thing too. That’s crazy!

Yeah, I managed to miss that.

i noticed their is world traverler plus on ba’s 763s and 744s also

I didn’t have TV when I flew with them a few years ago.

I didn’t have TV when I flew with them a few years ago.

Only looking at seat guru. It says that there’a personal video screen. Regardless, I’ll have my iPod, loaded with videos anyway…so, even if I don’t have anything, I’ll be set. Also ambien.

I’m not sure that you would want to take that Ambien Bob. Yes you will get 8 hours of sleep, but in an emergency…Also you may not want to wake up when you land. I alway bring my ipod on trans-atlantic flights even while sitting in First or Business as I have what I want to watch. If there is something on their system thats even better. The ipod–yes. The Ambien–No. I have never written that for anyone to use on a plane-ever.

I’m not sure that you would want to take that Ambien Bob. Yes you will get 8 hours of sleep, but in an emergency…Also you may not want to wake up when you land. I alway bring my ipod on trans-atlantic flights even while sitting in First or Business as I have what I want to watch. If there is something on their system thats even better. The ipod–yes. The Ambien–No. I have never written that for anyone to use on a plane-ever.

Well, there’s something I hadn’t fully thought of. Is there something that will knock me out, and wear off in an hour or so? once I’m out, I’m usually out. It’s just the getting to sleep that’s a problem, esp on an airplane.

I’m not in the medical profession, but most sleep aids advise to allow 8 hours sleep time, so I don’t think there is anything OTC for helping one fall to sleep for just an hours time.

I can’t imagine anything prescription would do such a thing either, but I am not doctor :slight_smile:

Allen

I would not reccomend any hypnotic agents as you would be to out of it to cope with any issues. I will occasionally give someone a very small dose of xanax. Say .25mg as it has a shorter half life vs. valium. The point of that is to relax you enough to be able to fall asleep with little assistance from the medication. Its a slippery slope with some people as to how much it takes without knocking them out. Add to that many physicians will not write for that type of drug due to the potential for habitual use. I tend to write for no more han 10 doses so that they can get through a trip. Consult your personal physician and they can determine what is correct for you.

I would not reccomend any hypnotic agents as you would be to out of it to cope with any issues. I will occasionally give someone a very small dose of xanax. Say .25mg as it has a shorter half life vs. valium. The point of that is to relax you enough to be able to fall asleep with little assistance from the medication. Its a slippery slope with some people as to how much it takes without knocking them out. Add to that many physicians will not write for that type of drug due to the potential for habitual use. I tend to write for no more han 10 doses so that they can get through a trip. Consult your personal physician and they can determine what is correct for you.

I need to talk to him about it. I am not anxious at all about flying…and isn’t xanax more for that…I’ve never taken any so I have no idea. Occaionally I take a simply sleep before bed when I have too much stuff on my mind and I know i won’t be able to sleep without it. I had thought about that…a pharmacist friend told me that wore off in like 4 hours, but I’ve taken it and been groggy the next day. If I ask my doctor for 2 Xanax, that won’t be suspicious, right? I don’t want to be labeled as a user under any circumstances.

The best thing for you to do is be honest with your physician and ask their opinion. If it differs from what you want then discuss other options such as xanax with them. Most of my colleagues understand how travelling messes up the body and are quite willing to try something to help. getting a few xanax would not be drug seeking behavior. I literally have dozens of patients that "accidently’ dump their entire bottles of percocet, valium, vicodin, oxycontin, etc… down the toilets each day. Apparently there is something in the toilet water that jumps up and grabs the lid right off the bottle and forces the medication into the water. Its an amazing phenomenon. :laughing: Anyways when these people sk for more then thats what we consider drug seeking behavior.

there are other options, but the xanax is probably best as it does its thing and moves thru your system. Older drugs in that class stick around longer and make you feel groggy. a low dose of xanax is designed to relax you and thus you may be able to sleep. good luck.

there are other options, but the xanax is probably best as it does its thing and moves thru your system. Older drugs in that class stick around longer and make you feel groggy. a low dose of xanax is designed to relax you and thus you may be able to sleep. good luck.

Thanks for all your help! I’m gonna see my doc sometime next month.

What about Benadryl?? 50mg should be enough to induce a decent nap. It’s OTC so you can test it yourself ahead of time without drawing suspicions…

Benedryl has been shown to induce the opposite in about 35% of the people that take it. It also will leave you drowsy. I think he wants to sleep, yet be able to wake and not have any effects. If you take a half dose of benedryl you get nothing or in some people heavy sleep. It does work, but I advise its use in other diagnoses. Its purpose is not to knock you out. Thats a side effect.

BA coach isnt bad…business class is a lot nicer. their 76/s have no first class seating. Beware, the AVOD system is tempermental…I have seen them dispatch with the entertainment system u/s frequently. Back end crews have given up fighting about it…Still, I would fly them without a question.

CB