Boys need new toys

I have to disappoint you. I would be the worst sales rep in the whole world. :slight_smile:

i’ve read it and forgot it right away.

After a few hours of operation i can see a higher message rate compared to the Raspberry (approx 20%). However the amount of aircraft is similar, this might be simply caused by my max physical range. So do i see an advantage which compensate the 3 times higher price? No Do i care? No :smiley:

@SweetPea11 not bad, I will raise you 1522 days :slight_smile: I agree the 'Pi and dongle work well. I used a generic dongle then upgraded too.

@foxhunter thanks for sharing the info. I currently use a 'Pi and orange FA dongle and I am considering if I can do any better by upgrading the hardware in one direcetion or another.

Roger G7RUH

I am currently testing having both devices side by side. One is using the Jetvision Antenna, the other one is connected to my previous handcrafted eBay Antenna which shows a pretty similar performance.

From the FA stats the Raspberry outperforms the Air!Squitter regarding Positions and Aircraft reported, at least for today until now.

I assume this heavily depends on your environment where you live in. Looks like i have no disturbing frequencies around which requires additional filtering and i am already at max range from the geographical location.

To be continued…

Another toy for you, not sure if anyone has tried one, uses the GNS 5894T

The GNS5894 ADS-B receiver module is the first choice for avionic applications that require high sensitivity and maximum reception range . The module is ideally suited for ADS-B feeding and other similar demanding applications. Industry leading reception sensitivity of up to -95 dBm, precise MLAT support and an unmatched power consumption of 70 mA make the GNS5894 the first choice for state of the art systems. The unique RF and amplifier design along with optimized firmware realize an up to ten times higher frame rate and double range than software defined radio (SDR) ADS-B solutions at only slightly higher cost.

That seems like a very dubious claim.

3 Likes

That’s a polite way of saying it’s complete and utter bollocks.

Unless it comes attached to a 200ft mast and a team of workmen to safely install said mast, there’s no way it’s doubling my range.

2 Likes

The antenna is poor compared to the Jetvision/FA antenna. I have this as a spare antenna, bought it for 29 Euro some months ago from this vendor. It has a 20% less performance than the other two i am using. So independent from how good their solution is, they are losing a lot just because they bundled this antenna.

Honestly from the inside of the antenna it looks like any other cheap antenna you get from AliExpress. I would assume any good DIY antenna outperforms that one. You can see it here, because they sell it also without housing.

Their claim regarding “gain +6 dB” is interesting, but definitely not the case.

What is the “doughnut effect”? They said, it’s reduced, but do not give an explanation.

Wait a second… nope…
I was running my raspberry in parallel with the Air!Squitter. From the frame/message rate it was always 20-30% higher, but having ten times… That’s somewhat interesting.

How about Tethered balloon - Wikipedia
on at least a 200 foot tether :wink:

To double the max range, a 200 feet high mast is useless.

Increase in range by raising antenna from ground level to 200 feet = (1.41√200 ) miles = 20 miles.

Increase in range by raising antenna from ground level to 2,000 feet = (1.41√2000 ) miles = 63 miles.

Increase in range by raising antenna from ground level to 20,000 feet = (1.41√20000 ) miles = 199 miles.

1 Like

Playing around with Heywhatsthat.com and some different elevations from the highest tower in my area is giving me a range change of max +30 miles

I picked a figure at random, 200ft or 20,000ft, neither is going to happen.

2 Likes

Yes, I knew what you meant.

I posted it for those who think that increasing antenna height will increase range appreciably. This is true only up to the height of surrounding obstructions. Once the antenna is above the obstructions and can see horizon, any further increase in antenna height is a waste of money & time.

1 Like

Probably refers to signals dropping out at close range due to poor dynamic range.

The module itself looks interesting. It’s a hardware decoder so might work well. I haven’t seen any reviews of it yet though.

Also no reviews of Air!Squitter. I don’t know the details, but there might be a hardware decoder on it as well.
Currently i have lots of traffic here.
While the message rate of my Raspberry goes up to 950 msg/second, the AirSquitter shows values up to 1500…

However the performance of positions and aircraft reported is not that far away for these two receivers

That’s what the FPGA is on the Air!Squitter.

Here is the datasheet on the other unit mentioned above. Interesting…

What I really find interesting so far as new toys is concerned is the Raspberry Pi Hat they show on this page:

I don’t see it in their store, but it’s interesting considering the GNS5894 specs

ADD: Link I found aber nur auf deutsch:

Isn’t it essentially the same receiver hardware as the Radarcape (which in turn is similar to the original Beast)?

Some other toys from another company:

From the readings of their description it sounds like, but from the resetting option it looks like the Radarcape board is designed differently. But maybe it’s a wrong assumption

My best ADS-B toy is $9 Generic DVB-T (black).
I use it mainly for testing my DIY antennas.
Lack of LNA & Filter helps in revealing the real capability of antenna-under-test.

Hey I’m just sharing what I saw - The claims seem pretty outlandish.
The “dev kit” just includes one of their antennas I assume so the user can just start experimenting.
The main part of the kit would be the box which has their chip ready to hack on. Otherwise it looks like you could buy their chip and design a board, and do a bunch of prototyping before you can try it out. Unless you can find tha adsb pi hat.
Anyway, never heard of them before and price is $$$ so figured it fit in the expensive toy cataegory :wink: