BIRDBATH CONTROL?

Wheeler AFB in Hawaii has a frequency named BIRDBATH CONTROL. Any idea what it is? :confused:

flightaware.com/resources/airport/PHHI/summary

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:6o1xyJuzm-UJ:www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI11-2HC-130V3_920RQWSUP1.pdf+Birdbath+Military+Operations+Area&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Something in there might be a possibility.

Birdbath is where the aircraft get washed.

You can get the same document referenced by dcgjedde in PDF by going to af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AF … QWSUP1.pdf

Bird Bath might also be a call sign for a control facility that handles a Wheeler operating area.

My favorite call sign of this type is for FASCFAC San Diego, which handles the warning areas and MOA’s off the Socal Coast.

Beaver.

Birdbath is a washing facility for aircraft.

dcgjedde, in his posting, referred to the 920th Rescue Wing’s supplement of AFI 11-2HC-130 vol 3. This document states:

6.55.2. Clear water rinse facility (birdbath) usage guidelines.

6.55.2.1. Crews should use a clear water rinse facility (birdbath) after every flight in which the aircraft is flown over salt water below 1000’ AGL, including tactical approaches and landings. Multiple instrument approaches do not require a clear water rinse, unless, in the judgment of the 82 AFI11-2HC-130V3 30 JUNE 2007 crew, the aircraft was subjected to salt spray. If a birdbath facility is unavailable make the following
annotation in the AFTO form 781A, “aircraft subjected to salt spray, birdbath unavailable.”
The following guidance will be used to maximize the effectiveness of the birdbath and to ensure
safe operations.

6.55.2.2. Crews will ensure that sensors such as the radar/IDS are off prior to entering the birdbath.

6.55.2.3. The GTC, ATM, ATM generator, and APU will remain off with doors closed to prevent flameout and flooding of the GTC/APU compartment.

6.55.2.4. Set flaps to 100% and switch off and extend both auxiliary and normal landing lights (if applicable).

6.55.2.5. All four engines should be at normal ground idle with the lowest power setting available. Two engines in normal ground idle, and two in LSGI may be used if aircraft weight does not restrict the forward movement through the bath.

6.55.2.6. Complete the “AFTER LANDING CHECKLIST” after rinse is completed, run engines at normal ground idle for a minimum of two minutes to aid in drying out engine nacelles.

6.55.2.7. Review local procedures for birdbath operating guidelines. Each birdbath is unique in design and function and local procedures such as direction of entry, wing tip clearance criteria, noise abatement concerns, etc. need to be reviewed prior to its use.

CAUTION: It is possible to experience an overheat indication during or immediately following the birdbath due to water intrusion into the overheat warning systems. Each crew will have to analyze the indication and make a judgment as to the emergency action to be taken.

6.55.2.8. Ensure fuel onloaded/offloaded during IFR, FARP, and AR is entered in the AFTO Form
781H.

I like “Giant Killer” off the East Coast, handles all the warning area’s from around JAX up to ILM.

I know what a birdbath is. We called them washracks in the Navy. And I looked at the document in the link, and it is from Patrick AFB in Florida, so I didn’t think it applied.

But, honestly, I never anticipated a radio controlled washrack!!!

My mistake. The original poster mentioned HHI so I didn’t look closely at the issuing authority. I should have known that the publication referred to another base than HHI. My Army National Guard unit was based at HHI and, at the time (this was over 30 years ago!) there was very little AF flying activities at the base. it was used mainly by the Army due to its location next to Schofield Barracks. If I recall correctly, the major AF activity on the base was communications.

I was at Barbers Point tower from 78-81…and we got to work every kind of plane from every service branch. It was quite a lot of fun. Sadly, the P-3’s only had a manual washrack!!!

And, in retrospect, if I had to work in a control facility with a callsign “Birdbath”…well.

There is a famous story about Admiral Zumwalt demanding a callsign change of his first ship. ( I think it was Sapworth or something like that). He claimed that changing the callsign would improve the morale of his sailors.

http://www.kadena.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/090209-F-2575B-110.JPG

Beats a spin cycle… :stuck_out_tongue:

Birdbath=Wash Area

Makes sense! By the way that picture is awsome! :stuck_out_tongue: Where did you get it?

If you want to know where a picture is linked from, click on the quote as though you were going to quote the posting then look at URL between the IMG tags. In this case the pictures was found on the Kadena AFB web site.

[quote="phantomjet"]
http://www.kadena.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/090209-F-2575B-110.JPG
[/quote]

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/5/6/1/1147165.jpg
Bigger version here.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/0/7/5/1141570.jpg
Bigger version here.

thanks