Bird Aviation Museum

This is taking place near Sandpoint, ID, a beautiful place in a somewhat remote area. If you are ever in the area, this museum is well worth the time. KSZT is a great airport too. Pretty impressive list of guests showing up for the day.

birdaviationmuseum.com/PDFs/ … er2011.pdf

I did attend this event and here are a few pictures.
Also Dr Bird opened up his private airstrip.

Just after I arrived here is a plane landing.

Easy landing for this pilot.

Dr Forest Bird inventor of the respirator and Baby Bird medical respirator.

Dr Forest Bird on the left and aviation legend Bob Hoover on the right.

Got to buy one of these.

And get Bob Hoover to personally sign it for me.

Me and Bob Hoover after he signed book.

On the left Astronaut John Phillips and John and Martha King on the right.

Dr Forest Bird aviation collection.

Last photo is of his Republic RC-3 Seabee - on the museum’s Web site, they incorrectly identify it as a “1947 Republic RC-7” and its engine as a “Lycoming GTSIO-480 engine making 340 horsepower” but there is no such thing.

TCM used the “GTSIO” configuration prefix (meaning “geared, turbo-supercharged, injected, opposed”) for the 520 cu in. engines used on Cessna 411 and 421 and Aero Commander 685 aircraft. The 411 and 411A had 340 hp GTSIO-520-C engines, the 421A had 375 hp GTSIO-520-D engines, the 421B used 375 hp GTSIO-520-H engines, and the 421C used 375 hp GTSIO-520-L or -N engines. The Aero Commander 685 used 435 hp GTSIO-520-F or -K engines.

340 hp Lycoming 480 cu in. engines came in three basic varieties, the GO (geared opposed), GSO (geared, supercharged, opposed), and IGSO (injected, geared, supercharged, opposed) versions. The GO versions typically ranged from 270 to 295 hp. The others were 340 hp for take-off (limited to 5 minutes) and 320 hp for all other operations. I believe that at some time or another, all of these versions of Lycoming 480 engines have been used to replace the original 215 hp Franklin 6A8-215-B8F and 6A8-215-B9F engines on RC-3 Seabees.

Also, what is it about the Sandpoint, ID area that attracts inventor-doctors (because Bird is not the only one)? Dr. Loel Fenwick also lives nearby in Coolin, ID. He’s an ex-pat South African OB-GYN who invented the birthing bed that is now standard equipment in most hospitals. He also owns two Grumman G-73 Mallards and a G-21A Goose.

Thanks for the pictures!

Also:
On April 1, 2011, Burt Rutan retired from Scaled Composites to his home in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.

Coeur d’Alene is located about 35 miles south of Sandpoint ID.

North Idaho is beautiful country. It’s not that far away by air from Seattle or Silicon Valley (1 & 2 hours respectively from GEG). It’s less expensive to live there. About the only drawback is that it snows there.