AVP-MYR

SOUTHERN SKYWAYS INTRODUCES NON-STOP JET SERVICE BETWEEN WILKES-BARRE/SCRANTON, PA AND MYRTLE BEACH, SC

STARTS MAY 21, 2008

http://www.flyavp.com/pressreleases/pr2008-02.html

Any info on what planes they will use?

Pace 737-200 or 737-300 (probably 300’s that are still in all economy layout from the Hooters Air operation)

It depends on which airline Southern Skyways will use for the route.

Southern isn’t an airline but a charter operator. They use Primaris Airlines, Swift Air, and Private Air Charter for their flights.

southernskyways.com is the Southern Skyways web page.

Primaris Airlines 757-200 then?

AVP is my domicile and I don’t think they’ll ever get the PAX numbers for anything larger than a CRJ.

Like I said, it’ll probably be a 737-300 and not last very long.

Hooters tried 737s AVP-MCO last year. Lasted about 4 months. And the AVP press release said that they’re doing it because Myrtle Beach is the second most popular family destination from here. Um, Orlando is the first. How’d that work out for you?

My father’s family is from W-B although I grew up in the NYC area. My parents retired to their Harveys Lake cottage and W-B home years ago and I used to occasionally be able to arrange my travels to make a stop in Avoca for a quick visit before continuing on my way.

At that time (late 70’s early 80’s) IIRC the flights were on 727s ex PHL enroute to KBUF and/or KSCH. It always seemed as though half the passengers (or more) were GE employees on the KSCH flights, to the point that I often thought GE subsidized the flights.

It could have been indirectly subsidized by GE. For example, GE could have had an agreement to book all their company travel through Allegheny/USAir with the condition that they flew a mainline aircraft to SCH. In the days of cheap fuel, the benefit of the GE contract likely outweighed the low load on the SCH flight.

Delta has a similar arrangement with P&G these days. Their HQ is in Cincinnatti and their largest plant is here so they subsidize the KAVP-KCVG route and guarantee x number of PAX every year. There aren’t any mainliners here anymore, just CRJs and EMBs and US runs a Dash to KPHL once in a while. The new terminal just opened last year and there are 8 gates now with jetways for every RJ, which is nice.

The only routes out of here now are:

UA to KORD
US to KPHL and KCLT
DE to KCVG and KATL
NW to KDTW
CO to KCLE

Sure would be nice if CO would add a route to KEWR

i don’t think this flight will last very long because avp doesn’t have very many flights there, there are so many of these flights like this popping up on the east coast then they last for a few weeks, i don’t know if it is worth it.

I’d kill for a KMDT-KEWR on CO…I might get away from US.