FlightAware Discussions

Anyone working with the new x86 Raspbian

No, not in Virtual !!!

I wrote following Live CDs, one after the other, on USB Flash Memory (Pen-drive), and booted PC from the Pen-drive.

(1) Ubuntu LIve CD with Persistence added by me - Persistence Failed, WiFI OK
(2) Debian LIve CD with Persistence added by me - Persistence Failed, WiFI Failed
(3) Linux Lite LIve CD with Persistence added by me - SUCCESS: Persistence OK, WiFi OK
(4) Bodha LIve CD with Persistence added by me - SUCCESS: Persistence OK, WiFi OK

Was pretty sure of that and just mentioned it to Karl. Who are you? Where do you work? Where do you live?

As I mentioned before, I’m Bill living in Katy Tx, retired. I have strong PC background and strong Microsoft background. Was first PM for Flightaware in my last job before retirement. But also hired Karl for 3 of his first four jobs.

Been a real treat to find you!

I am a Canadian, and live and work in Toronto.
Computers, Radio/Telecommunications & Electronics are my hobbies only, not my profession.

I figured out to send a private message in this discussion, received a couple, and can’t seem to figure out how to see them again. Want to read what @abcd567 sent me!

Top right of the web page discussions.flightaware.com click the circle with your picture in it, then there is a little message icon below.

Loaded 64 bit Linux lite .iso file, used etcher to flash, booted and watch desktop come up. My new Realtek WiFi was not seen (no WiFi enabling offered), my oldest Netgear WiFi not see, but my middle aged Linksys was seen since WiFi was enabled. However, not seeing some kind of list of available networks to connect. How did this behave for you?

Also not sure about ‘persistence added by me.’
Or steps to download compile and run dmp1090_fa.
Please help…again.

@billbresl

1. Download and install Universal Usb Installer on your Windows desktop/laptop
    https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

2. Download “Linux Lite” iso from here
    https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.php

3. Plug USB flash pen-drive into Windows Desktop/laptop in which you have downloaded"Universal Usb Installer"

4. Double click “Universal Usb Installer” to start it.

5. After start of Universal Usb Installer, make settings as shown below. Move slider of “Persistance” to maximum (4089 mb).

6. After settings are done, click the button “Create”, and wait for creation process to complete. Will take several minutes say 5 to 15 depending on speed of your USB flash pendrive.
    Please see the screenshot below.

Universal%20USB%20Creator

1. After creation of “Live USB with Persistence” is completed, plug the USB flash pendrive into the old PC in which you want to use it, and boot the computer from USB flash pendrive.

2. For installation of dump1090-fa and Piaware, follow instructions in post #102

WiFi issue was driver problem. Tried 3 old WiFi dongles: really old Netgear, old Linksys, and new dual band WiFi. The Linksys one works ergo that driver was in the Raspbian release. Pi up and running. Thanks to several for suggestions and especially @abcd456. Happy New Year

Glad to know your PC is up and running Piaware with WiFi.

Just wanted to know did you install Raspbian, on Hard Drive or running “live cd with persistence” on USB flash pen-drive?

1. Raspbian on Pi with WiFi
  2. Linux lite from USB in progress…then following your instructions for compile of the FA stuff to see if it runs on my native, old, circa 2009 PC.

Followed your lead as carefully as I could:

1. raspbian x86 in persistance on USB stick; have not tried duplicate your gcc bus error yet
  2. Linux lite using the installer/burner you recommend for USB stick.

I followed the instructions and it worked.

A few observations

• The live USB key version was so slow it took 5 minutes to boot and about 60 second response time for each command
  • 8 GB USB key was too small
  • Took well over an hour to load the Linux lite onto a spinning rust disk
  • Took over two hours to follow the instructions in post #102
  • It works except I cannot see Skyview on the local LAN. I can see it on localhost

It is currently running on an abundantly resourced current Z370 Pro motherboard with an Gen 8 i5 processor and 16 GB of RAM. I’ll put the disk in the oldest system I can find lying around and see what happens (Probably a Core 2 Centrino-M with maybe 1 GB memory from the XP days.)

I setup a complete new Pi last week which was about $50 for the Pi, case and PSU. It took about 15 from when I broke open the package till we claimed the Unique ID.

I don’t believe that this has any merit whatsoever as a method to increase the flighaware footprint.

@abcd567 did a mammoth job providing the instructions and I am reasonably adept at following them but I cannot imagine the support load required if Flightaware was to suggest that this was a desirable way forward.

Thanks to all those who contributed to this experiment.

Happy New Year to all. I’ll be out on a yacht watching the fireworks in Melbourne.

S.

I suspect it is a firewall problem.

S

Massive job for you as well @SweetPea11! Just wondering, what if FA supplied the bootable USB and an Antenna for the feint of heart who want to use their old PC. Would be like FA supplying a preloaded SD card that has all you need to boot up the Pi and having both an ADSB contributor to FA AND a nice desktop with apps. Just thinking out loud. Please send us a firework pic from on the water!

@billbresl
Running a computer from a USB key is always much slower than running the same computer with OS installed on Hard Drive. If you want speed and ease of use, forget about USB key, and install OS of your choice on HD.

No!

The Flightaware SDcard image had problems when the Pi 3B+ came out and broke the compatibility that existed across the hardware range. Same thing happened when I tried to take an SDcard from a Pi3B and stick it in a Pi Zero-W.

We had to wait until a new image was released to again be compatible across the range of Raspberry Pi.

It appears it is not compatible with any of the other Pi like SoC computers.

There are so many combinations of CPU, CPU family, motherboard chipsets, CPU manufacturers of PCs to make it virtually impossible to make a one size fits all and how are you going to choose which build you want.

As an example, the 8th Generation Intel chipsets don’t support anything before Win 10 now.

Flightaware has standardised on the Raspberry Pi as the platform for providing an easy, cheap, cheap to run and supportable receiver for feeding their real-time database of aircraft around the world.

@abcd567 answered your question and provided you with a method to meet your requirement to run a feed using a PC without a VM. The least you could do is follow his instructions so you can decide for yourself if it is a worthwhile path to follow. The instructions work.

S

So much slower that I could not tell if it was still running as the rotating arrow stopped.

It was much quicker when installed but still not exactly quick. I wouldn’t want to use it all the time.

The raspberry Pi image running in VMware is noticeably faster. I followed your instructions here.

S.

That points to a slow usb stick and a linux probably not optimized for usb stick operation.

As to the possibility of making an usb image, it surely is possile.
If you were to create an image aimed at piaware you could get away with much less software reducing the images size to something like the current piaware image size.
Even with a not too good USB stick this should work fine.

Still not really needed.

Oh whatever :slight_smile:

Quickly for general understanding of why I initiated this thread. First, tactically cause I wanted to ‘do it myself’ but of course with all of your help. So thanks for that help. But, second and strategically, as a Windows 10 insider and early adopter, I see a trend of some convergence of interest between Microsoft and Open Source. The purchase of Github is an indicator. I see a trend of multi-OS bootable devices like rumors of Android’s new dual boot laptop. Thus, using Windows 10 current experimental Build 18305 release with Sanbox, it is possible to work with an experimental x86 Raspbian on an experimental Win 10 Sanbox. But, the experiments need to come one at a time and serially. I want FA’s ADSB apps to be the test vehicle for all experiments succeeding.