FlightAware Discussions

Anyone working with the new x86 Raspbian

Linux can read all Windows file systems that is not a problem.

As for the driver if it’s a .deb packet it should not be a problem installing it.
Otherwise you have to look up how to install a kernel module because that is what it’s going to be :wink:

Are you sure the stick even ships with linux drivers?
If there are linux drivers i’ll repeat that i would suggest using another distribution (Still trying to figure out why you want to use that one)

Apart from that you should also be able to just upgrade the kernel and leave the rest of the system as is:
(http://jensd.be/818/linux/install-a-newer-kernel-in-debian-9-stretch-stable)

Seems like you’re saying it’s running on your PC. Have you attached the antenna? Claimed it? Turned on ADSB …

Who are you on the Flightaware Adsb data pages? Would love to see you actually reporting flights. I’m still stymied by no WiFi but just got back from lunch and starting. You guys have given me great helps and I am grateful.

Fedora is also supposed to be good with newer hardware.

Here’s results from the commands you sent. Taken by ipad of Raspbian desktop with command line output.

(1) Yes, it was running on my PC With USB Flash as Hard Drive, but after a short while, I had to reboot the PC with Windows: Her Majesty wanted to use PC, and she hates anything other than Windows :slight_smile:

(2) Yes, I did attach the mag-mount whip antenna which came with generic DVB-T.

(3) No, I did not claim the new station as it was only an experimental setup. The piaware however automatically acquired a new feeder-id. Since I did not claim it, it did not appear on my stats page.

Not sure about you but I see an extraordinarily successful experiment! Now, back to my issues with WiFi. Reading how to load a tar and/or zip Realtek driver. Stay tuned.

Manual Install of dump1090-fa on Fedora 28, x64_86 (Intel PC)

The ‘sudo-app get update …’ failed because of no Wi-Fi.
The ‘sudo apt-get install…-nonfree’ indicates I’m on the newest version and nothing was update.

Going to check out the reference you sent on driver loading and kernel updates. Wishing I still had hardwired Ethernet around.

Just remembering, when I came up on actual pi 3b+, used my new Realtek WiFi in the USB port and it came up immediately. Hmmmm? Does that mean anything to you?

Did you have WiFi dongle for your pc to get Ethernet? Which one? Or maybe did you have either hardwired or WiFi built onto the PC board?

Any command that needs WiFi is not happening. Thinking to just pull my pi offline, and try to work there with WiFi. Can I create something there to save to my usb memory and move to the raspbian x86. Seems weird and improbable when I say it out loud.

Shucks. Need to move back to PC, follow instructions for a proper, new build, flash to usb stick, and reboot. Right?

Closing in on something to do next. Can you attach the image you created after the build instructions above to a message to me? I think I can treat that just like the Foundation iso x86 original download and flash it to usb and then boot it like I’m doing now. If that works, that is the leave-behind for this discussion thread. Maybe?

The software build won’t help without wifi. (Or maybe you don’t want to feed anyway in case dump1090-fa built for 32 bit x86 is basically all you need)

Anyway i didn’t think about you not having net on the machine sorry.

Yeah i don’t think i can really help you on the wifi issue i don’t know how to install the drivers myself as i don’t know which drivers you have :slight_smile:
So if you could point me to the drivers maybe i could help.

I’m still gonna say: It’s easiest to just use another image.
You are installing to the harddrive not running a live image correct?

It is too big in size (Giga bytes) to be sent through message.

Talking to abcd567 about sending me his image that works on PC virtual machine. I will flash it to my usb stick and boot it like I did the Foundation x86 image. May still have WiFi issue but will already have dmp1090-FA compiled and part of the package. At least, that’s what I’m thinking. Waiting to hear back. He noted ‘the house Queen’ had commandeered the PC from him.

I am not sure what benefit spending so much effort trying to get one particular x86 Linux flavour working with piaware. Your problems so far seem to be getting this Linux loaded rather than follow the suggestions of others far more experienced above pointing to something that will work.

As you don’t seem to be able to easily get past the problem of connecting to the outside world an easy path forward may be to use a virtual machine under VMware or Virtualbox on your Windows PC.

You can load just about any x86 operating system and the VM will provide the peripheral connections such as network removing the driver problem.

I wanted to experiment with Dump1090 mutability so I loaded an x86 Raspian image following instructions on the discussion board and I can experiment to my hearts content without disturbing the 3 Pis I have running here.

Good luck,

S

Great feedback. Thank you. I don’t have a machine available with HT and thus can’t virtualize. The new, windows insider only, release of Win 10 has a new feature called ‘Sand Box’ which appears to be a new flavor of virtual machine just for this type of project. It stil requires machine Hyper Threading but I’ll dredge up another of my PC’s that can do the job.

I think the barely stated question from everyone helping is , “why bother”? Answer: FA’s goal, I think, is a much more robust terrestrial ADSB network. So far, their audience is hobbyists in love with the Pi. This represents a large number of members of the Unix/Linus/Debian/Raspbian world. 19,000 or so units. If there is a motivation for PC users to get excited about their old boat anchor PC’s (since they can’t bear to throw them away), then FA will benefit with a larger terrestrial network. And old PC hacks will have a hobby, too. Oh, and it’s so much pure fun! Just thinking out loud…

Should have mentioned, ex-FA employee from the very early days of ADSB.

@billbresl

I have a WiFi dongle which I purchased 2.5 years ago. It has a chipset RTL8192. Today I tested it on Desktop running Raspbian x86, and it works without me installing any driver for it. This shows Raspbian x86 has its driver.

I have purchased it from ebay. Now I searched ebay.com, and found many wifi dongles with chipset RTL8192. The photo of this one is almost same as the one I have, and it is low cost also ($3 + free shipping), but long delivery period…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/300Mbps-Mini-Wireless-USB-Wifi-LAN-Adapter-Dongle-Netzwerk-802-11b-g-n-RTL8192/112619535192

Before you moved to your virtual environment to run the x86 Raspbian, did you first try booting the ISO image as stand-alone Raspbian? That would duplicate my issue. Did you have your WiFi in that mode?