Anyone working with the new x86 Raspbian

I followed the instructions and it worked.

A few observations

• The live USB key version was so slow it took 5 minutes to boot and about 60 second response time for each command
  • 8 GB USB key was too small
  • Took well over an hour to load the Linux lite onto a spinning rust disk
  • Took over two hours to follow the instructions in post #102
  • It works except I cannot see Skyview on the local LAN. I can see it on localhost

It is currently running on an abundantly resourced current Z370 Pro motherboard with an Gen 8 i5 processor and 16 GB of RAM. I’ll put the disk in the oldest system I can find lying around and see what happens (Probably a Core 2 Centrino-M with maybe 1 GB memory from the XP days.)

I setup a complete new Pi last week which was about $50 for the Pi, case and PSU. It took about 15 from when I broke open the package till we claimed the Unique ID.

I don’t believe that this has any merit whatsoever as a method to increase the flighaware footprint.

@abcd567 did a mammoth job providing the instructions and I am reasonably adept at following them but I cannot imagine the support load required if Flightaware was to suggest that this was a desirable way forward.

Thanks to all those who contributed to this experiment.

Happy New Year to all. I’ll be out on a yacht watching the fireworks in Melbourne.

S.