Any interesting trends from Covid-19

North America never had the same restrictions in air traffic that Europe did - I kept a check on the top one thousand receivers in the global rankings and for quite a while there were less than a handful who were outside the US. I think that speaks volumes.

1 Like

I made a quick comparison of my receiver 2019 vs. 2020 on a weekly basis.
Shown is the average value for the corresponding calendar week.

Comparison of the last century? LOL!

5 Likes

Yeah, those dates in the chart can’t be right. The Raspberry Pi-Eniac didn’t even function for another 25 years after that. Mounting it on top of the tower was much harder then…
eniac

1 Like

Guys, please… Did you never make a mistake? :smiley: :smiley:

4 Likes

The Tuesday is clearly the day with the fewest traffic:

I just checked the MTG graphs for the last year and the similarity is astounding.

1 Like

1 Like

Those graphs tell quite the epic story. Here we go again…

1 Like

Same here near Frankfurt. The impact of Frankfurt is not that much, it’s more the high altitude aircraft on their routes.

Downtrend here confirmed again on Tuesdays

Yesterday it was the first day since months with less than 1200 aircraft recorded
Beside Covid-19 the winter flight schedule kicked in. Was exactly the same date as last year.

I had a massive drop yesterday, around 25% compared to Monday and the other UK grabbers I’ve checked are showing the same drop. I wonder if a change in schedule is the reason.

I would at least consider it. Almost all feeders here showing the same performance downtrend.

Also last year it was around that time where the numbers went down by 10-20%

Maybe this year not only the schedule, but also Covid-19 which makes the drop larger.
Last days here, i think the small trend the last 4-6 weeks is covid-19, but the massive drop this week is the schedule

Could be bad weather keeping GA aircraft on the ground. I had very few MLAT aircraft yesterday compared to normal:

It wasn’t only GA aircraft though because I saw fewer ads-b flights as well. It’s kind of hard to compare against last years state because it coincides with the changes that were done to the airspy decoder, so quite a lot of my stats actually went up at this time last year.

here mid of germany it’s not a weather issue, i assume simply a reducements of flights in general.

going really low now:

Here the same downtrend:

This week “intelligent” lock down will be scaled up in the Netherlands.

Big peak due to lock-down here in Europe, what a surprise.

1 Like

Yep:

Rare to see more MLAT aircraft than ads-b. I wasn’t paying much attention earlier so I don’t know how much of that is GA pilots making the most of the first nice day we’ve had in a few weeks and getting a flight in before lockdown, and a bump in business jet flights. The first lockdown caused a spike in private jet flights, so I guess it was probably a mixture of both.

Yesterday was mad here in Southern England.