Any interesting trends from Covid-19

Busy monday here.

105 aircraft and almost no MLAT

American Airlines is going to cut 19.000 jobs due to the situation in October.
As many countries are still fighting with the first wave of Covid-19 i have concerns that it hits others as well that much.

QANTAS sacked 6,000 a few months ago and another 2,500 announced yesterday.

Joyce is the Leprechaun head of QANTAS

American has 950 aircraft and Qantas has 297.

1 Like

After two days of a downtrend, the numbers are up again today.

Still 2 hours to go but i achieved already the positions from the full day yesterday and 160 aircraft more.

Apart from 2 days last week when my internet went down at my house for 2+ hours, I have been over 800 aircraft every day for 5 weeks. The last time I was organically under 800 was July 22. This month has also been way more consistent than last month.

Edit: already at 805 today, with 3.5 hours still to go

That’s mine the last days. Forget about Aug 11th, that’s the day i reinstalled my feeder

I may have given up trying to find a trend. One day it’s up, next day it’s down.

2 Likes

And that’ mine. S/W Germany.

Aircraft

Long term (several months) it goes up. But that’s the only reliable trend.

For some strange reason I’m rather partial to this graph :wink:

6 Likes

Where is the Flightaware graph abailable? I got Flightradar24 graph from their newaletter email

It is at the bottom of their homepage
https://flightaware.com/

thanks jon, this is amazing, i had never been on their home page before! i’m embarrassed!

No problem. I just saw it today when I was showing my wife that there were actually lots of planes flying around the globe. Australia had only 6, however, it was about 4AM Aus East coast time and most major airports have overnight curfews for commercial traffic.

Got it. Thanks @jonhawkes2030.

My local traffic seems to align to the FA global trend. The post-summer downward trend probably starts in a couple weeks.

But I make it really hard to evaluate a trend since I optimized my station quite a bit recently. All my metrics improved… The only thing I learned, other than how to optimize Airspy settings, is that my graph daily ups and downs align very well to the weather which impacts GA traffic significantly.

No spectacular changes over the last weeks, or?
Friday was one of the strongest days since weeks, but nothing remarkable.

Looks like we will keep this trend for longer

Thursday and Friday were both good for me, with 930 and 944, but Saturday dropped down to 837. I keep thinking that I see an upward trend, but it never seems to materialize.

I suppose that if there is a trend to be seen, it would be that every day so far in Sept has had a higher count than the same day in August, which was in turn higher than the same day in July. Increasing, but baby steps.

That’s mine, since July 15th until yesterday. The two days where it dropped my feeder was off for a few hours.