Any A380s in the air today?

I’m guessing there would be limits to how much weight could be put ‘upstairs’ anyway?

And what about things like all the toilets and galleys?

Well, upstairs they could store some light weight things (e.g. toilet paper :slight_smile: )
In most A380 there are approx 150 seats upstairs. On a normal weight of passenger with carry-on luggage i would expect a possible capacity of at least 15 tons.

What about toilets and galleys? It would be the same as for any other aircraft which is currently converted temporarily. A Triple-Seven also has this.
In general they can load only things which can be put into the aircraft through the regular doors

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of permanent conversions given that people like Lufthansa are retiring some of their 380s early and cancelling wet leases.

It seems that a lot of carriers don’t expect passenger air traffic to return to normal for quite a long time and there’s going to be some big passenger 'planes that are still serviceable sitting around costing someone a fortune in lost revenue.

I think, there will be no way for converting A380 to cargo as permanent solution. it’s simply too much effort, not only for the aircraft but everything else too.

For the others it might make sense (except B747-8 the upper floor does not make sense at all.

Since coronavirus happened, not a lot of A380s are flying nowadays. Considering the fact that some airlines like Air France, Lufthansa, and other airlines decided to retire their A380. The A380 was not even big of a demand anyways and only lived for like 10 years unlike the Queen which lived for 50+ years.

Two in the air as the moment

AFR379V and CSN3001

S

Woops, I posted the same plane twice.

These four arrived in Alice Springs for storage a few days ago

Alice Springs is a town of about 25,000 people near the centre of the Australian continent and is about 1500 KM from anywhere.

9V-SKZ

9V-SKY

9V-SKW

9V-SKT

A video of an A380 landing in the middle of nowhere.

The last flight I took from Alice Springs was delayed whilst they cleared kangaroos from the runway.

S

EDIT

I can’t post more than 3 replies consecutively

so today 02 May 2020 the following A380s are in the air

G-STBA enroute from LHR to JNB as BAW55

9V-SCI enroute from NRT to SIN as SQ637

S

1 Like

Another A380 from Lufthansa on it’s way to long term storage
D-AIMA was the first one of this airline.

It appears that MAS4 will be an A380 flying cargo only KUL to LHR and return on Saturday 9 May.

S

CSN304 enroute from Guangzhou to London today

Haven’t seen any A380 flights around Melbourne for about a month or so.

S

It seems Hi Fly have modified their A380 to carry more light freight

Edit

There are three A380 in the air at the moment and Emirates started flying them to LHR and CDG today.