Antenna advice Discone Vs Collinear and some issues

don’t forget to adjust the gain. With the filter you can go higher.
Before the filter i was using a gain of 40.2, any higher number resulted in higher noise.

Now with the filter i am able to run “full speed” with gain at 49.6
But it takes some days to identify the correct setting, especially if the daily traffic is low.

@foxhunter
I’ve not set the gain yet and as far as I’m aware, it is set at factory setting of full? Think I need to run the script

If i am not wrong, the default of the installation is -10 which is normally way too high.

gain settings are done manually in file /etc/default/dump1090-fa

Any of these values are valid.
20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6
You could start with the hightest and then go down until your messages >-3DbFS is around 5%

1 Like

Huge gains (excuse the very weak pun…) made last night and tonight. Last night I was able to get the desktop running on my Pi and to understand the way to change gain. I went for AGC to start off with, I understand that this isn’t the best but I wanted a base to start with.

Today, my ‘N’ Type connectors have arrived and I have installed the Flightaware Antenna on a temporary mast that is approximately 2.5m higher than the previous incarnation. I intend to go higher than this but only with proper brackets and fixings, it will be another 2m higher. This should take the antenna to appx 35/36mASL.

What has happened? I’m comparing my Flightaware screen with another UK radar site and I am now tracking (immediately) aircraft at 35000 feet to 160 nautical miles range. I am seeing aircraft from 1200 feet locally (5.6nm) to one at 2200 feet over the Isle of Man 58.6 nautical miles away.

Another improvement to be made will be LMR400 which has yet to arrive, that will be cut to length and installed, hopefully dragging a few more microvolts out of the ether.

Thank you to all who have helped, especially @abcd567 @Nitr0 @wiedehopf and @foxhunter. Your advice and guidance were spot on. Now to find the optimum gain!

Kev

3 Likes

Notice the spike when the new antenna/height is installed

2 Likes

That’s a massive improvement and it’s only going to get better, good job!

1 Like

Nothing more to add here. I am glad that the community was able to help sorting the problem out.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.