FlightAware Discussions

Announcing the new 978 MHz antenna!

I noticed that the u-bolts were a bit wide too!

0 Likes

Same issue with the 1090 antenna. The u-bolts are not the problem, but the holes on the aluminum plate/bracket.

@esmathews : Will this antenna be available on Amazon Canada? Currently, 3rd party vendors have it listed for $113 on the canadian site.

0 Likes

Interesting, my 1090 came with a bracket where the holes were not aligned properly, so that if you mount it straight the antenna would not be straight.

0 Likes

Sorry @Dxista at this time we have no plans to sell the 978 antennas on Amazon Canada.

1 Like

@Dxista Expat Vancouverite in Minnesota here. I was going to offer to re-ship you an antenna, but my best estimate is that the post office will charge around $40, plus $41 for the antenna itself, US$81 converts to CAD$108 today.

0 Likes

@cypryfyx

Thank you very much for the thought.

Postage costs are very high these days, not really worth it, specially considering that the 978 traffic in Canada is much less than in the US.

Thanks again for thinking about it, it’s appreciated.

0 Likes

In view of above situation, I have decided to go for a temporary solution. I will make a DIY Cantenna OR Quick Spider, but using dimensions 76mm in all places where 69mm is specified.

When FA 978 antenna will be available in Canada, I will purchase it and replace Cantenna / QuickSpider by the FA antenna.

0 Likes

To a certain extent.

0 Likes

There are no freight forwarders for situations like this? It’s hard for me to believe a company on the U.S. side of the border can’t acquire something from a U.S. website, truck it across the border and then ship it from the Canada side to a Canadian address and save their customers a boatload of U.S.->Canada ripoff shipping fees while making a good margin themselves.

Also surprising that NAFTA (i’m not going to call it by its lame new name) doesn’t make for reasonable U.S.<->Canada postal rates
but that’s another thread/debate.

0 Likes

Yes, there are, but not easily accessible to private/personal shipments.

I’m with you there. NAFTA, or whatever it’s called these days, benefits mostly corporations, not individuals.

0 Likes

Just picked up my 978 antenna from Amazon this morning. Will get it tomorrow. Any update on the new version of PiAware?

0 Likes

You can find the pre-release version here:
Announcing PiAware 3! (Latest version: 3.6.3) .

0 Likes