Announcing PiAware 3! (Latest version: 3.8.0)

@darethehair

What is the output of these commands

apt-cache policy piaware

apt-cache policy dump1090-fa

The responses are:

darren@frodo10:~$ apt-cache policy piaware
piaware:
  Installed: 3.6.3
  Candidate: 3.7.1
  Version table:
     3.7.1 500
        500 http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages stretch/piaware armhf Packages
 *** 3.6.3 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
darren@frodo10:~$ 
darren@frodo10:~$ apt-cache policy dump1090-fa
dump1090-fa:
  Installed: 3.6.3
  Candidate: 3.7.1
  Version table:
     3.7.1 500
        500 http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages stretch/piaware armhf Packages
 *** 3.6.3 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I think this means that if I do an ‘apt install piaware dump1090-fa’ that I will get the newer versions that I desire? That would be cool, but I wonder why the ‘easy’ method does not work?

Thanks!

This is strange.

Your Repository is up to date (as shown by output of apt-cache policy command), and giving ‘Upgrade and restart PiAware’ command from stats page should have upgraded piaware to ver 3.7.1.

May be if you reboot Pi and try agan, it will upgrade.

Just use the upgrade command manually and see what the problem is.
Might be some other package having a problem with an upgrade.

sudo apt upgrade

Or as you stated you can only upgrade dump1090-fa and piaware:

sudo apt install dump1090-fa piaware
1 Like

You’re on an unsupported distribution (specifically, not Raspbian) so automatic updates will refuse to try upgrading anything.

Seems like you’re using the FA-provided repository anyway though so this may work for manually upgrading:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install piaware dump1090-fa

(YMMV, since we don’t test against the exact distribution/hardware that you’re using)

1 Like

On my Orange Pi PC with Armbian Stretch, I normally go for re-imaging and fresh install.whenever there is an upgrade.

For my personal use, more than a year ago I have prepared a bash script which installs pre-build packages from repositories of dump1090-fa, piaware, pfclient, fr24feed, rbfeeder. The script also adds configuration (feeder ids, lat, lon alt etc). Recently I added to it @wiedehopf’s script to install graphs also.

I have saved the scripts (one for each Pi with its feeder IDs for various feeders, lat, lon, & alt) on Windows computer. Everytime I write fresh image, I SCP this script to Pi, make it executeable, and run it.

Using these custom script makes my upgrade work very easy.

Today I have posted these scripts here.

2 Likes

Did this, and it appears to have worked fine :slight_smile: If the ‘apt-get’ commands that I ran manually are the same ones as would have occurred automatically, then this makes sense to me. Your explanation for why the ‘easy’ method did not work also makes sense!

Hi Dar looks like its working your counts when up quite a bit last 36 hours. Are you going to be running a UAT receiver too?
-G.

No UAT server for me, I think, since I am in Canada and not the US.

However, I have a setback that I will need to deal with in the coming days i.e. my Orange Pi is not rebooting successfully right now, so I am offline. My guess is that I need to re-copy my working OS backup on SD card to the SSD on the device. What a hassle! :frowning: The other annoyance that I am having is repeated wifi drops to the device. Ah, the joys and struggles of ADS-B :slight_smile:

That’s no fun. Using the wired ethernet rather than wifi, I always find
wifi to be a real pain rather than a convenience. Have two PIs running
here at the same time, one for playing on and the other is the dedicated
ADSB receiver. Might eventually add UAT to the main station as we do get
traffic on 978, however light. I expect this to pick up somewhat later
in the year. Need to install the antenna up on the tower with a preamp
to make it worth while though.

I do have a spare RPI2B if you want to try that…
-G.

1 Like

Fortunately, I did not need to re-initialize my Orange Pi – it just took a long time to respond from a wifi outage. However, it convinced me to make the effort to swap to ethernet rather than wifi – fortunately I had all of the wires in-place from previous projects, so just a bit of wire-pulling to make it reach to my ADS-B coffee-can outside :slight_smile: Once my setup has stabilized for a while, I’ll try to swap out my receiver for one of the ‘orange’ ones I purchased on Amazon to see if I get even better reception. Thanks for the offer of the RPi, but I am OK now. My old RPi is simply doing GPS/NTP work nowadays :slight_smile:

Well it’s only two months, not an eon but here is some news -

Uavionix, the firm that makes the least expensive (installed) standalone ADSB out (UAT) system just sent an email saying that their tailBeacon system (it installs in the rear navigation light position) will be getting its TSO shortly. Seems they were delayed because the FAA changed the GPS standard (known as a TSO) during the approval process and Uavionix had to upgrade the GPS receiver in the tailBeacon and go through the entire approval process again. They said they were starting a second production line so they must have a very large number of orders. That implies that there will be many more UAT equipped planes flying in the USA soon. A single 3.7.xx 1090/978 display capability would be so nice.

2 Likes

I have sd version running with uat 978 with single dongle.
and a second rpi running 1090 with it’s own receiver.
However, from the flightaware My ADS-B home page, the WebInterface for my site 978 still links
to http://piawareip:8080 which is not active with only 978
the http://piawareip:8978 and http://piawareip:skyview978 both work

Is there a way to link or re-point the call to port 8080 to the skyview978 ?

They’ll fix the website in the future.

You would have to change the following files and move dump1090-fa off port 8080 and skyview978 onto port 8080:

/etc/lighttpd/conf-available/89-skyview978.conf
/etc/lighttpd/conf-available/89-dump1090-fa.conf 
1 Like

Having WiFi problems with 3.7.1!
I think the wifi interface isn’t coming up at boot.I can get it working if I use wpa_supplicant and edit /etc/network/interfaces but they get overwritten every time.

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa-roam.conf

# Generated automatically by /usr/lib/piaware-support/generate-network-config
# This file will be overwritten on reboot.
country=NZ
network={
  ssid="yeah_nah"
  id_str="wireless"
  scan_ssid=1
  key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
  psk="413mitrandimotor"
}

sudo iwlist scan
eth0 Interface doesn’t support scanning.

lo Interface doesn’t support scanning.

wlan0 Interface doesn’t support scanning : Connection timed out

sudo ifconfig -a
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.0.4 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255
inet6 fe80::ba27:ebff:fe1a:86d9 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20
inet6 2406:e000:6ab8:f001:ba27:ebff:fe1a:86d9 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x0
ether b8:27:eb:1a:86:d9 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 660 bytes 107933 (105.4 KiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 27 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 245 bytes 50324 (49.1 KiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10
loop txqueuelen 1000 (Local Loopback)
RX packets 311 bytes 143552 (140.1 KiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 311 bytes 143552 (140.1 KiB)

wlan0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether b8:27:eb:4f:d3:8c txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)

sudo journalctl | grep wpa_supplicant
Jul 15 18:21:24 piaware wpa_supplicant[297]: Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
Jul 15 18:21:30 piaware generate-network-config[376]: Updating /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa-roam.conf …
Jul 15 18:21:30 piaware wpa_supplicant[409]: Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
Jul 15 18:21:31 piaware wpa_supplicant[445]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-REGDOM-CHANGE init=USER type=COUNTRY alpha2=NZ
Jul 15 18:22:24 piaware wpa_supplicant[445]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-FAILED ret=-110 retry=1
Jul 15 18:22:28 piaware wpa_supplicant[445]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-FAILED ret=-110 retry=1
Jul 15 18:22:31 piaware wpa_supplicant[445]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-FAILED ret=-110 retry=1
Jul 15 18:22:35 piaware wpa_supplicant[445]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-FAILED ret=-110 retry=1
Jul 15 18:22:39 piaware wpa_supplicant[445]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-FAILED ret=-110 retry=1
Jul 15 18:22:42 piaware wpa_supplicant[445]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-FAILED ret=-110 retry=1

So you manage to get internet?

When you have internet, do an update:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Is this a fresh sd-card with 3.7.1 written to it?

You could try to add this to piaware-config.txt:
wireless-country NZ

Or just do:
sudo piaware-config wireless-country NZ

Shouldn’t help, but maybe it does.

Quote from Flightaware newsletter dated today Aug 20, 2019:

3 Likes

I hope that means “upgrade and restart” will work from the configuration cog wheel on the user site of flightaware.com

1 Like

I automatically updated. I didn’t notice the version until I looked at this thread.

What I did notice is that SkyView didn’t display the map background on my Samsung Android phone.

While perusing this thread, I inadvertently discovered that the map displays correctly in landscape mode, but is blank in portrait mode.

probably just the tile server loading very slowly.