Announcing PiAware 3! (Latest version: 3.8.0)

Try a hard reboot of the Pi, it has worked for me in the past.

My VRS was not impacted this time, but it has happened before.

the /etc/hosts file is missing piaware as a hostname.

sudo nano /etc/hosts

then add:

127.0.0.1 piaware

like so:

127.0.0.1	localhost
::1		localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1		ip6-allnodes
ff02::2		ip6-allrouters

127.0.1.1	raspberrypi
127.0.0.1       piaware

Looks like 3.6.2 image was rushed out the door. I wonder if this is image Rasbpi 3 B+ compatable since it is stretch?

1 Like

working OK on RPi with raspbian/debian (not SD image), no visible changes other than version number.

That did it!
Thanks @conligwx

Its working , :grinning:

1 Like

This is one of the reasons why the extended data display is not enabled by default, it’s an unpolished bare-bones “just display everything” implementation so you can get at the data. There’s enough data to show now that the layout needs a redesign, which we didn’t want to hold up the release for.

Once the redesign happens, the #extended fragment won’t be needed. Before the redesign happens, we don’t want it to be the default.

Good catch, I’ll build a new image that fixes this. All of our test environments happen to have DHCP servers that populate DNS, so the problem doesn’t show up there. edit: updated image is available now.

Yes, as the release notes at the top of the topic mention.

This is correct, 3.6.2~bpo8+1 is 3.6.2 built for Jessie.
(3.6.2~bpo7+1 is 3.6.2 built for Wheezy - yes, there are still some wheezy installs out there!)

1 Like

I am one of those who was running STRETCH but upgraded using the commands “sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade”, so ended up with the jessie-backported version 3.6.2~bpo8+1.

In order to get the pure STRETCH 3.6.2 version, I created the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/piaware-stretch.list containing the line (sans quotes) “deb http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages stretch piaware” (and removed the corresponding “jessie” variant of this file).

This seems to have worked fine, giving me the STRETCH 3.6.2 version.

Best regards,
Andreas

Hi obj,

That’s all good. The #extended data display was released as experimental. And since it requires the user to activate it, it’s not an issue for anybody, other than the curious.:wink:

1 Like

@obj
Welcome back!
Nice to see you in forum after a long gap.

where does one open the extended. Would just like to peek at it for giggles.
BTW 3.6.2 is working fine here. Running the Jessie version

Alternatively, you can repeat all of step 2 in the package installation instructions (mentioned in the release notes above), the important bit being to get the stretch version of the piaware-repository package.

Please see Post #1 of this thread …scroll down to Release Notes

And the //1.2.3.4/ is actually the IP of the Pi, if that’s not clear.

Adding “Read /Set Gain” to SkyView in new version 3.6.2 works fine.
Updated How-to for Jessie to include Stretch (Click Here).

1 Like

Downloaded and wrote piaware-sd-card-3.6.2bis.img to microSD Card.

Noted in *bis release:

1. In Windows, the name of microSD card is shown as boot instead of piaware.
    piaware-boot

2. unable to resolve host piaware: FIXED in ver 3.6.2bis
    File /etc/hosts now contains line 127.0.1.1 piaware

3. formatting glitch on #extended mode, Nav modes field: FIXED in ver 3.6.2bis

2 Likes

Thats a nice feature, I hope that makes it into the next version release. Thanks for the update though just added the set Gain to my own 3.6.2 installs!

Yes that was clear, Works well. Kind of like it

The pasted screen capture does not have any info in the Nav modes field. Did you see one where the field had auto pilot info? That’s when it gets truncated.