Announcing PiAware 3! (Latest version: 3.8.0)

wifi is disabled on the pi because it really sxcks it has full duplex link to my 3750 cisco switch :wink:
network is fine usb as well it is software iam 100% shore of it but i can not identify what .i did suspect the dump1090 application but after restarting this aplication only it did not go away i also change the rtl dongle for another one other brand ( although same chip set ) same problem
the funny thing is that it fixes it self without any intervening of me , again system is on 24/7
i put the pi in my network monitor tool ( observium ) and there is no evidence that something is wrong network wise

ps pi is not locking up its only that the output off dump1090 is not been tranferred somhow to the rest off the aplications

ps 2 using single core pi not overclocked and cpu load is 50 % so should be good

i’d try a different power supply anyways - and later a different sd-card …

May not be related but my install has the pi and SDR Dongle located where the afternoon sun can get to it. (I know… improvements are planned).

The SDR Dongle is more heat sensitive than the pi. The pi runs fine at all times but I lose MLAT synchronization when the package gets too much sun. It then recovers by itself and the adventure repeats the next day.

PiAware 3.5.1 is now formally available. You may perform a package install/upgrade or install from the SD card image which is now available on our web site.

This release is a minor bug fix update which primarily addresses some bugs in Skyview. Please see the main post at the top of this thread for specific release notes.

THANKS, running perfectly well after upgrade.

BEFORE UPGRADE

AFTER UPGRADE pi@piaware:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Hi Sir,
What about my orange,in my skyview I see it’s 3.5.0,will it be updated remotely??

@arush87 FlightFeeders will be updated automatically. They should all get this update in the next week or two.

Ok, Thank you Sir.

Regards,
Arush

3.5.3 is now available; again, mostly bugfixes:

• dump1090: Update OpenLayers to address SkyView performance issues on some browsers
  • piaware: Fix a file descriptor leak when running on some non-Pi hardware
  • piaware: Report current feeder ID from piaware-status
  • fa-mlat-client: Fix complaints about out of order timestamps when mlat results are looped back
  • fa-mlat-client: Fix a minor unit conversion error
  • fa-mlat-client: Increase the size of socket listen queues to avoid false synflood detection
  • piaware sdcard: Allow arbitrary strings (e.g. serial numbers) in rtlsdr-device-index
  • piaware sdcard: Handle prehashed (64-character) wifi passphrases correctly
  • piaware sdcard: Depend on a version of wpasupplicant that fixes the KRACK vulnerability
1 Like

great to have such a detailed list of changes/bugfixes! thanx

Successful istall of Piaware+dump1090-fa ver 3.5.3 on Raspbian STRETCH

Formatted microSD card
Wrote Raspbian STRETCH Lite
Ran following commands (STEP 2 on page PiAware - dump1090 ADS-B integration with FlightAware - FlightAware)
ALL WORKING OK

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ wget http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.5.3_all.deb
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_3.5.3_all.deb
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get update
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install piaware
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install dump1090-fa
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo piaware-config allow-auto-updates yes
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo piaware-config allow-manual-updates yes
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo piaware-config feeder-id xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo reboot

Reboot means Update.

One of my Pi’s is now on 3.5.3, but was not reporting any messages.
I logged into FA, brought up the Config screen and selected the “Reboot device” option.
I was rather surprised to see it run an update
Reoot Pi2

I repeated the sequence on another Pi running 3.5.1 and it rebooted as expected (without updating)

That is a little weird, it shouldn’t do that. Which site? (You have two on 3.5.3)

That’s what I thought!
It was Site 22729.
Naturally I can’t repeat it now - a reboot behaves as expected, but thanks for looking.

Well. I have been observing a peculiar problem after updation to 3.5.3. I am using an orange,when it was 3.5.0 it was working well,even in 3.5.1 also but after updation to 3.5.3,it is showing an auto -disconnect tendency from the flight data but it stays connected with LAN and flightaware. I have to reboot it again to make it work. I already highlighted this problem to support but still no solution yet. I can’t blame my internet connection,it’s very stable as it was earlier. I tried a different router but this problem is still there. It’s dump 1090’s problem of getting self disconnected from flight and my whole skyview page going blank. No AJAX error either.

Did 3.5.3 break the logging to file?
I had a working 3.5.1 with logging to /var/log/piaware.log.
After manual update initiated from FA web site, there are no longer any log entries written.
Everything else seems to work normally.

Running as

/usr/bin/piaware -p /run/piaware/piaware.pid -plainlog -statusfile /run/piaware/status.json

Last entries in the old logfile:

01/18/2018 23:08:44 restarting piaware. hopefully i'll be right back...
01/18/2018 23:08:44 attempting to restart piaware using 'systemctl --no-block try-restart piaware.service < /dev/null'...
01/18/2018 23:08:44 piaware (process 407) is shutting down because it received a shutdown signal (SIGTERM) from the system...
01/18/2018 23:08:45 faup1090 exited with SIG SIGHUP
01/18/2018 23:08:45 multilateration data no longer required, disabling mlat client
01/18/2018 23:08:45 fa-mlat-client exited with SIG SIGTERM
01/18/2018 23:08:45 piaware (process 407) is exiting...

PiAware 3.x is designed for the most current Raspbian OS versions that uses systemd. I think there are a few features in piaware that will not work on the older OS.

The following command will output the OS version. Wheezy is the older OS version name. Jessie and Stretch are the new OS versions.

cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)”
NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“8”
VERSION=“8 (jessie)”
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL=“http://www.raspbian.org/
SUPPORT_URL=“RaspbianForums - Raspbian
BUG_REPORT_URL=“RaspbianBugs - Raspbian

Sometimes upgrading breaks something, though this is rare. I had an upgrade from 3.5.1 to 3.5.3, and /var/log/piaware.log exists.

Output few minutes ago:

pi@piaware:~$ apt-cache policy piaware
piaware:
  Installed: 3.5.3
  Candidate: 3.5.3
  Version table:
 *** 3.5.3 0
        500 http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/ jessie/piaware armhf Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

pi@piaware:~$ cat /var/log/piaware.log
Jan 19 13:06:40 piaware piaware[470]: creating pidfile /run/piaware/piaware.pid
Jan 19 13:06:40 piaware piaware[470]: ****************************************************
Jan 19 13:06:40 piaware piaware[470]: piaware version 3.5.3 is running, process ID 470
Jan 19 13:06:40 piaware piaware[470]: your system info is: Linux piaware 4.4.50-v7+ #970 SMP Mon Feb 20 19:18:29 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
Jan 19 13:07:56 piaware piaware[470]: mlat-client(1066): Beast-format results connection with 127.0.0.1:30104: connection established
Jan 19 13:07:58 piaware piaware[470]: piaware has successfully sent several msgs to FlightAware!
Jan 19 13:12:15 piaware piaware[470]: 918 msgs recv'd from dump1090-fa (846 in last 5m); 721 msgs sent to FlightAware

@Skibox
As propsed by @david.baker, first check you OS by command cat /etc/os-release. If you have a Wheezy, better format your microSD card and write the latest Piaware image 3.5.3, which is Jessie based.

All our Pis are running Jessie, not the Piaware image but another Raspbian-based.

There will be no formatting of anything, all the units are remote and that s why it’s so important that updates are stable and reliable. They are also running much more important things than Piaware. Guess I just have to see at next reboot if that fixes the problem.