Announcing PiAware 3! (Latest version: 3.8.0)

It appears both my dongles contain RT2571W chipsets. Do I need to follow the instructions here: wiki.debian.org/WiFi/rt73 ?

I don’t remember having to do that for my original install of 2.1-3 even though I am using the same dongle

up and running, i had a bit user (me) error with the config file redid the uSD card and paid more attention. All is good connected to my radarcape and mlat is now working for me.

good work.

There is a piaware 3 package (binary package soon, you can build it yourself from github if you’re impatient) that has just the feeder functionality; this is what you should be upgrading Piaware 2 to if you don’t want the full sdcard thing.

You could try archive.org

and the Piaware 3 advanced configuration page (flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/ad … figuration) doesn’t specify where to change some of the listed setting!?
No mention of multilateration in the “piaware-config.txt” file.

All configuration settings go in piaware-config.txt.
The piaware-config.txt shipped with the image is just a starting point and is not exhaustive.

Yes, that’s likely to be the problem; the piaware 3 image is fairly minimal and builds up from a base set of packages rather than stripping down a full install, so some things like firmware might have got missed.
If you install the non-free firmware as described it’ll probably start working. I’ll look at including that firmware in the next version of the image.

Trying to find how to add an extra MLAT listen port ?
In 2.03 the command was:

sudo piaware-config -mlatResultsFormat "beast,connect,localhost:30104 beast,listen,30106

How to get the same in PiAware 3.03 ?

Thanks.

For easy reference, the step-by-step instructions for quick WiFi setup have been added to the announcement above. They will also be added to the Build a PiAware page on the flightaware.com.

We have multilateration config settings documented on the Advanced Configuration page at flightaware.com (scroll to the bottom for all the details).

See eric’s post above, but note that the defaults have mlat available on ports 30105 (beast) / 30106 (basestation) anyway so you probably don’t need to configure anything.

What is the canonical (preferred) way to turn stats from dump1090-fa on? (for checking gain level, among other things), and where will the log file appear?

bob k6rtm

Edit /etc/default/dump1090-fa, but the sdcard config infrastructure will trash your changes. You’re probably better off reading stats via json.

dump1090 (and most other things) logs to the systemd journal which then goes to syslog in /var/log/syslog. (piaware also logs this way, the sdcard has a syslog rule to extract those messages out into a separate piaware.log)

Called flightaware technical support and spent an hour at least with a very very patient man on the phone…

popped out the micro sd card and opened up the piaware-config.txt file and did everything just like the patient man told me to do

changed the wireless-network to yes
entered my ssid which is Blubster
entered my password which is XXXXXXXXXX not gonna tell you here it is secret

double triple checked and saved file then opened it up again to make sure changes took effect

reinstalled the microsd card in the raspberry pi 3
connected flightaware stick
connected power
nothing no wifi

plugged the ethernet cable in and it works

we did this several times and nothing…

i then re formatted the microsd card and reinstalled the image and fired it up the ethernet works fine
BUT
went back into the piaware-config.txt file and read and re read the instructions Quickly, how do I enabled Wifi?

redid it again very carefully and still nothing…

i am at my wits end…

with the 2.15 edition I just booted it up went to the GUI shell and scanned for wifi found my SSID clicked on it then entered my password
and BOOM it was done

no hair pulling…

flight aware I need help here …

Thanks–
I’m learning that reboots do that. I might switch over my main unit tonight; wrote the sd card and did the basic edits.

I like the new aircraft icons!

Again, great work!

bob k6rtm

Odd. Can you email me your config file and the contents of /var/log/syslog. The pi3 wi-fi was one of my test systems so I would expect it to work seamlessly.

I spoke to Mike in tech support
i gave him the ssid and password

if you could enter the required info in the config.txt file and email it back to me then it
will save thousands of man hours of you knowing what your doing
and me trying to understand

I would like to see what you did and why it failed so the instructions can be made clearer (or a bug fixed if there’s a bug there), so could you email me the piaware-config.txt you tried yourself and the contents of /var/log/syslog.

I would like to see what you did and why it failed so the instructions can be made clearer (or a bug fixed if there’s a bug there), so could you email me the piaware-config.txt you tried yourself and the contents of /var/log/syslog.

I don’t have your email address

if you had a phone number so I could call it would be a lot faster and get this done

Click on the email button under my post, or mail oliver.jowett@flightaware.com

Did the update with a new sd card. So far so good. My nearby receiver count looks like it has went up.

After about another hour of mucking around I finally got my wifi dongle to work! :smiley:

Tried the steps to install it in my previous post which did NOT work.

Finally went to packages.debian.org/jessie/all/ … k/download and saved the file to a usb stick.

Copied to the folder that contains “Desktop” on RPi2 and installed it.

Bang! Working wifi dongle! 8)

“lsusb” and “dmesg” commands helped identifying issues. And elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters to identify dongle/drivers

Next question; Will we get msg rate and other graphs/charts I’ve seen some people have in the forums included in the standard install package?