Announcing PiAware 3! (Latest version: 3.8.0)

I have helicopter tracks fine on mine in 3.5.0 at the moment, sounds like something is not quite right there.

Going to need more details on this (screenshots as a starting point; details on your install)

Maybe posting about my issue fixed it in a weird way. I know the typical responses to issues with piaware displays are clear browser cache or relaunch browser and I do that with Firefox every day. I didnā€™t do that today (yet) but when I brought up my browser for the day and waited for a lifeguard or sheriffā€™s helicopter to show up in order for me to make my screen shots for this reply, a lifeguard helicopter showed up and the tracks actually worked. A sheriffā€™s helicopter later in the afternoon also has working tracks. These are the first instances of helicopter tracks working for me since the upgrade to 3.5.0. Iā€™ve never had an issue with plane (winged aircraft) tracks and 3.5.0 running piaware on a raspberry pi.

Glad that itā€™s working now.

If it happens again please collect a good bug report. I donā€™t know what youā€™re seeing at all so I need to know basic things like: is it that you are getting no positions at all for helicopters? Or are they showing a position, but there is no historical track when you select them? Or are they showing with the wrong icon i.e. not a rotorcraft icon? Or are you not hearing them at all, not even as Mode S contacts? What is an example of an aircraft address & time when you had problems? Are the helicopters ADS-B equipped or are you relying on mlat for positions?

Simplest way to cover a lot of that is with screenshots.

Having a problem trying to install the upgrade 3.5.0 from my 3.3.0 system.
I entered the following: It is telling me I have UMET dependencies on 3.3.0 when trying to install 3.5.0 ??
What am I missing here ?

pi@piaware:~$ sudo apt-get update
Hit flightaware.com jessie InRelease
Get:1 archive.raspberrypi.org jessie InRelease [22.9 kB]
Get:2 mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie InRelease [12.2 kB]
Hit flightaware.com jessie/piaware armhf Packages
Get:3 mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/main armhf Packages [9,530 kB]
Get:4 archive.raspberrypi.org jessie/main armhf Packages [156 kB]
Get:5 archive.raspberrypi.org jessie/ui armhf Packages [57.9 kB]
Ign flightaware.com jessie/piaware Translation-en_US
Ign flightaware.com jessie/piaware Translation-en
Ign archive.raspberrypi.org jessie/main Translation-en_US
Ign archive.raspberrypi.org jessie/main Translation-en
Ign archive.raspberrypi.org jessie/ui Translation-en_US
Ign archive.raspberrypi.org jessie/ui Translation-en
Get:6 mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/contrib armhf Packages [43.2 kB]
Get:7 mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/non-free armhf Packages [84.2 kB ]
Get:8 mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/firmware armhf Packages [1,232 B ]
Ign mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/contrib Translation-en_US
Ign mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/contrib Translation-en
Ign mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/firmware Translation-en_US
Ign mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/firmware Translation-en
Ign mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/main Translation-en_US
Ign mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/main Translation-en
Ign mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/non-free Translation-en_US
Ign mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/non-free Translation-en
Fetched 9,908 kB in 23s (419 kB/s)
Reading package listsā€¦ Done
pi@piaware:~$ sudo apt-get install piaware
Building dependency tree
Reading state informationā€¦ Done
You might want to run ā€˜apt-get -f installā€™ to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
piaware-release : Depends: piaware-repository (= 3.3.0) but 3.5.0 is to be inst alled
Depends: piaware (= 3.3.0) but 3.5.0 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ā€˜apt-get -f installā€™ with no packages (or specify a s olution).
pi@piaware:~$

That is a sdcard install. do one of:

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

or:

$ sudo apt-get install piaware-release

The second command is what the ā€œupgrade piawareā€ remote command does on a sdcard install.

piaware-release is a metapackage used on sdcard installs that has dependencies on all the necessary packages.

Well, I tried the suggestion, but get similar results. It says I have 3.5 installed, but the piaware shows 3.3 catch 22. One way it says it depends on 3.3 other says I am trying to install 3.3 but I have 3.5 installed.
Is there a way to clear what it Thinks I have installed? Or I do a fresh SD install of 3.5 to a new SD card.

pi@piaware:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Building dependency tree
You might want to run ā€˜apt-get -f installā€™ to correct these.
piaware-release : Depends: piaware-repository (= 3.3.0) but 3.5.0 is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

pi@piaware:~$ sudo apt-get install piaware-release
Building dependency tree
You might want to run ā€˜apt-get -f installā€™ to correct these:
piaware-release : Depends: piaware-support (= 3.5.0) but 3.3.0 is to be installed
Depends: piaware (= 3.5.0) but 3.3.0 is to be installed
Depends: beast-splitter (= 3.5.0) but 3.3.0 is to be installed
Depends: dump1090-fa (= 3.5.0) but 3.3.0 is to be installed
Depends: piaware-web (= 3.5.0) but 3.3.0 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ā€˜apt-get -f installā€™ with no packages (or specify a solution).
pi@piaware:~$

@bcars:
Did you try
sudo apt-get -f install

Looks like you installed an updated piaware-repository deb by hand; you didnā€™t mention that? It will have produced an inconsistent set of dependencies.
Try apt-get -f install, as it suggests, which should fix the dependencies. Then try the upgrade again.

Next time Iā€™d suggest just using the remote upgrade command.

I have installed V3.5 dump1090-fa but still get information that i have installed 3.3 on the new theme as you can see here:

Thanks

as stated in many posts on these forums, many users after upgrade, see old display or corrupt skyview, please clear your Browser Cache or try CTRL-F5

Nice V3.5.0 upgradeā€¦
Suggestion for next iteration is to make the pop-up window that appears on top of map with expanded details, to occupy less real state by removing a lot of the ā€˜white-spaceā€™ (reduce line spacing) between each of the text lines.

I completely agree. Not all of us are developers with huge screens. Less white space and more value. Overall great job on the updated programs!

Yes, I second that request. This is what it looks like currently on an iPadā€¦
https://s1.postimg.org/62gs75zn3/IMG_0712.jpgfree upload pictures

We have the aircraft details pane on our list to look at for changes in a future version. In the meantime, note that you can use the slider or the map button to increase the size of displayed map.

Iā€™m missing a link to flightradar24, 'cause using mutability before. So i modified a bit of code to get a link to FR24.

Would be nice to get a link into the future also to FR24.

Thanks.

Piaware 3.5.0 installed and has been running nicely on my RPi3 for a few days. I have a java script that takes some port 30003 data from dump1090-fa and puts it into a remote MySQL database, again working nicely for the same period except I note that the time of the records is in UTC! I donā€™t want UTC time otherwise I have to recode all my queries and PHP scripts to cater for this. I check the RPi system time and is set to UTC.

So I login to the Rpi3 and run ā€œsudo raspi-configā€ and set the locale to NZ and time zone to Auckland because thatā€™s where I live. A reboot and no dump1090 connection to my Skyview page.

I connect a keyboard and monitor up to the RPi3 and restart, the screen cycles through some info eventually settling on a screen that says all piaware settings are OK (normal) and other system parameters like CPU and network settings. This page cycles itself every 30 seconds and no login prompt is offered.

There are three options:

1. Alt+F1 This screen
  2. Alt+F2 Command line login
  3. Alt+F10 System logs

Looking at the logs it seems no messages are being sent to Flightaware, there is mention of the time being reset and depending on what point I look at the logs depends on what information is shown, but I see nothing that points me to a remedy.

Connecting to the RPi3 both through Putty and by selecting Alt+F2 keyboard connection results in an immediate disconnection.

Can Piaware not run nicely without the system clock being set to UTC?

I donā€™t test with a non-UTC timezone but I wouldnā€™t expect any problems.

Alt-F2 on the console (i.e. with an attached keyboard) will switch you to tty2 which is running a getty (login prompt)
If you want to ssh in, see the docs on enabling ssh.

And speaking as a developer - if you are storing event timestamps using local timezones, youā€™re probably doing it wrong.
Store UTC times and do any conversions you need into the appropriate timezone in your presentation layer.
Local times are not unique, for one thing (e.g. 2 April 2017 02:30 occurs twice in the NZ timezone)

$ TZ=Pacific/Auckland date -d '1 April 2017 13:30 +0000'
Sun  2 Apr 02:30:00 NZDT 2017
$ TZ=Pacific/Auckland date -d '1 April 2017 14:30 +0000'
Sun  2 Apr 02:30:00 NZST 2017

I always change to local time zone (US Eastern) and never had any problem because of this.

pi@piaware:~$ date
Sun Jun 4 21:48:19 EDT 2017

@invergordon: Try
sudo systemctl dump1090-fa restart
sudo systemctl piaware restart

Problem is I can no longer log in to my RPi3!