Announcing PiAware 3! (Latest version: 3.8.0)

The config lives under /etc/lighttpd/, you can use that as a basis for whatever you want it to coexist with. I don’t know how pi-hole configures things so I can’t be more specific.

I’ve been having a somewhat similar issue.

I’ve got two Pi3b’s co-located so I can compare antennas or other changes made to one system while keeping the other as a reference.
The two were installed a few months apart, but both using SD image 3.1.0.
I can’t remember, but probably downloaded the image again for the second install.

The second Pi is behaving as you’d expect with the 3.3.0 upgrade (initiated from the Web control panel).

The first on the other hand goes through the motions and happily reports a successful upgrade until it restarts, then after a reboot, it reports 3.1.0 again.

It’s not a big deal, but interesting all the same.

cheers,
ian

Update:
For the sake of interest, I when 3.5.0 came out, I repeated the upgrade procedure (command on the Stats page). The Pi successfully updated and reported 3.5.0 on the Stats page as well as [local IP]:8080
As before, it reverted to 3.1.0 after a reboot (I took screen shots to prove my sanity).

At this point, I decided it was time to format the SDcard and load a fresh image (3.5.0)

Are you upgrading from a shell or via a command on the stats page?

The stats page command will send off an upgrade request, but there’s no feedback path to say whether that request eventually succeeded or failed (you’ll need to look at the logs)

My experience so far with triggering auto upgrades is that around 5% of installs have some type of problem that prevents the upgrade happening. Broken DNS, problems connecting to flightaware.com for the new packages, and sdcard corruption affecting the package management state are the three main cases I see.

I’m initiating the upgrade from “a command on the stats page”.
What is odd is that it doesn’t fail. The log shows a successful upgrade and the Stats Page reports “Feeder Type: PiAware (SD Card) 3.3.0”.
Then, after a restart, it reverts to 3.1.0.
As it continues to decode the whole time, it doesn’t seem to be a big deal.

That is completely bizarre, I don’t know what is going on there.

That’s reassuring - I thought it was just me!

I suspect it might be a cache issue. Many of the browsers save parts of a web page to save redownloading a page or parts of a web page. Clearing the cache is a quick fix, but then you likely lose saved passwords and such.

Give it some time, perhaps reboot the pi or restart your browser. This cleans up most of my problems. YMMV. (Your mileage may vary, always less, seldom more)

It’s not a (PC) cache issue as the Pi continues to report 3.3.0 for weeks, but immediately after a reboot, reverts to 3.1.0 (I can send screen shots if it would help).

Was looking to upgrade my install to the latest from 3.1.0… I can’t find the send command option on my stats page at all. Am I missing something?

“You may upgrade by using “Send command to device” and selecting the option “Upgrade and restart PiAware” on the My ADS-B Stats page.”

I had to download the image and then write it to the Micro SD Card in the PI from my main computer. You can download it from:

flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build

Go to step 2 and that should work. that is what I had to do and it is working fine.

This is unfortunately a bug with 3.1.0 package installs, they can misreport their install type which prevents the send command option from appearing.
You should be able to upgrade manually via “sudo apt-get update” / “sudo apt-get install piaware”

Ok cool… this worked… now showing Feeder Type: PiAware (Debian Package Add-on) 3.3.0. Still no send command available. However, the webpage interface still shows version 3.1.0…is that normal?

EDIT: Spoke too soon, I see send command now and have updated dump1090 to 3.3.0. Thanks!

PiAware 3.5 is now available! See original post at start of thread for details.

Exciting to see the new features! I don’t want to reimage and am very comfortable with the command line. What is the best way to upgrade in this case? I saw the upgrade thread but it was discussing going from FA 2 to FA3 so not sure how much of the info there still applies. TIA!

Most general / simplest case; this will upgrade all packages including both Raspbian and FlightAware-provided packages:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If you don’t want to upgrade everything, you can upgrade just the specific packages:
For a piaware sdcard install:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install piaware-release

For a piaware package install:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install piaware
sudo apt-get install dump1090-fa   # if using dump1090-fa and you want to upgrade it too

Like the new map options in 3.5. Is there a way to specify maps? I use carto maps because they are easiest to see aircraft trails on. How can I enable that again and still keep the other features?

You can tweak layers.js as before and you should get a layer-switcher icon appearing

OBJ: thanks for the quick reply and clear instructions!

If you have the remote update setting for piaware-config set you can manually send the “apt-get” commands without logging in.

On the flightaware website click on your my ADS-B link at the top and then go to your command interface (must be logged into your account to see the interface).
In the “send command” section select “upgrade and restart piaware”. This will send the apt-get command to your box and then restart your box.

For more information about package installs we have this page:
flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/install

Worked great. Thanks!