Announcing PiAware 3! (Latest version: 3.8.0)

You can manually enter the MAC address using cmdline.txt in /boot. If that’s all you want to do, google that idea. Be careful not to insert any line feeds or carriage returns. cmdline.txt must be only one line.

Nevermind

Does the Mode A/C visualisation really work in 3.3.0?

There is no Mode A/C visualization in 3.3.0, so the question doesn’t make sense.

Please see the first post in this thread for details of the latest release of PiAware! Version 3.3.0 is now available.

forced update to 3.3.0 on my secondary PiAware box – running along fine and synchronized to a bunch of other systems – we’ll see how it goes overnight, and probably do the main one tomorrow.

Thanks for all the hard work!

bob k6rtm

Having some problems, would appreciate your help:

1. I tried loading just the packages for PiAware, but couldn’t get the upgrade to work, so decided to go all the way, changed to a Pi2 and downloaded the full image, loaded it on the memory card. It booted fine. But now I have two sites showing. How would I either make the new Pi work on the first site ID, or alternatively delete the old site?

2. I am not seeing the range rings in the new dump1090 webpage, nor am I able see the distance to a clicked aircraft. I imagine somewhere I have to tell the dump1090 program where the receiver is located, but I can’t find any place to do that.

Other than that, it seems to be working very well. Thanks for all your efforts.

Respectfully,

Chuck Kelly
W9MDO

This is probably due to a shift in how the mac address is picked. The old site will go away after 30 days.

1. I am not seeing the range rings in the new dump1090 webpage, nor am I able see the distance to a clicked aircraft. I imagine somewhere I have to tell the dump1090 program where the receiver is located, but I can’t find any place to do that.

Configure it on the website stats page, then restart piaware.

I’m a little confused by the dating of the information concerning the new version 3.3.0. Will this new image boot up like the last version or must it be connected to a display to make changes first? I have already edited the “piaware-config.txt” to my liking via PC. My Pi is placed in a hard to get at location so would like to eliminate as much “trial and error” as possible.

Thanks,
Larry

Not sure what you mean by “dating of the information”

Will this new image boot up like the last version

Yes; where did you read otherwise?

I have been putting off the upgrade to 3.3… Per the webpage it tells me:

Anomaly report for PiAware feeder with a MAC address of b8:27:eb:59:b7:d5:
This system is running PiAware version 3.0. PiAware version 3.1 is current. Please upgrade to the latest version by visiting flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/upgrade.

Using the webpage I tell it to update ALL Packages. Is there somewhere I can just get the files, write them to a microSD card as an image… I mean really… I am not a normal PI user, and I only got it to run the Stick on FA… Nothing Else. Almost becoming more of a problem than it is worth.

Thanks
Sparkie

I became confused by this:

The sdcard image no longer enables ssh by default for security reasons. This behaves the same way as upstream Raspbian; see raspberrypi.org/blog/a-secu … ian-pixel/ for more information. Upgrades of existing installs, without writing a new sdcard image, are not affected: if you had ssh enabled before, it’ll still be enabled after the upgrade. You can enable ssh by:
Connecting a monitor and keyboard, logging in, running “sudo raspi-config”, and selecting “Interfacing options” then “Enable or disable ssh server”; or
Creating a file named “ssh” (it doesn’t matter what it contains) in the first partition of the sdcard. This can be done on a separate system, e.g. on a PC immediately after writing the sdcard image. ssh will be enabled on the next boot.

Thank you for your response,
Larry

Yes: flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build step 2.

This is the important bit:

Upgrades of existing installs, without writing a new sdcard image, are not affected

So if you upgrade an existing install (e.g. via the web control panel) then nothing changes.
If you write a fresh sdcard image, you get the new ssh behaviour where you need to explicitly enable ssh if you need it.

Though I understand an upgrade does not require turning on SSH, a new image does. FA recommends a new image, so, I need to enable or whatever SSH. is there a simple explanation (one, maybe two syllable words) on how to:

“For headless setup, SSH can be enabled by placing a file named ‘ssh’, without any extension, onto the boot partition of the SD card.”

I have about an hour and one half into Google and am not getting there. Appreciate your 1) Patience, 2) Understanding and 3) Assistance.

Thank you.

Write the sdcard image, put the sdcard in your PC, open up the sdcard directory, create a file called “ssh” (it can contain anything) in there, eject the SD card, put it in the Pi.

Did sudo apt-get update then upgrade and reboot, My ADS-B says Im still running 3.1.0?

Is this a package install or a sdcard image install? What sdcard image did you start from?

When Flightaware updated Piaware to version 3, I could no longer select --modeac to view Mode C altitudes in Planeplotter. In the latest version they have included allow modeac as default in the configuration settings but I am still unable to see them or get any plots in the pulse rates window.
Have I missed out a setting in Planeplotter somewhere?

TIA

Is this the full image, or do I still need to install the Flight Aware software on it?