Announcing PiAware 3! (Latest version: 3.8.0)

abcd Thanks man. Edit: Made some rookie mistakes and started the ball rolling downhill. i have restored all (3.1/Dump upgrade/multi feed) and, after reading your note above, post your edit, will take some additional time and get it right! copying the folders messed me up, among many other things!

But i can still copy and paste your work quite well, thank you! :smiley:

upgrade from 3.0.4 to 3.1.0 via FA website worked well. I like the new web display. :smiley:

Note that the log messages showing on the FA site do not show the various apt-get package upgrade messages because those are not in the piaware log. So donā€™t panic if it looks like nothing is happening when you first submit the command. If you check /var/log/messages on your Pi you will see that the upgrade is progressing. Give it a few minutes to do its thing.

Some clean up afterwards may be required on your part, or not, depending on what modifications you have made. This upgrade modifies or replaces bunches of files so check those that you have modified. For example, /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/config.js, I had to re-enter the Bing key and re-enable the ChartBundle layers.

Good job FA! two thumbs up.

Reformatted sd card for version 3.1.0. Rebooted and it is showing Debian 8 xsession. What is default user and login for Debian ?

I like the new software and appears to work well, however, I have one unique issueā€¦ the bottom of the screen on GOOGLE Chrome is blank. Note attachement. On Firefox it works perfectly. (Both images attached).

http://savannahgroup.site.nfoservers.com/Resize%20of%20Pi3-Chrome.jpg

http://savannahgroup.site.nfoservers.com/Resize%20of%20Pi3-firefox.jpg

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sparkie

Problem solvedā€¦ Simply cleared the cache and it works great nowā€¦

Its mentioned here: flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/bui ā€¦ l#password

I have bought SEVERAL Piā€™s just for and dedicated to PiAware. I am not the only one in my circle. As a matter of fact of the 30 or so PiAware receivers that myself and my friends run all of them are dedicated to PiAware.

So: Yes - Believe it.

Same here. I have bought 2 just for flightaware. :slight_smile:

Jeff

While I have a couple of things running my Pi from time to time, I bought it for ADSB. Other than the collectd and graphs, thatā€™s all it does all day long.

I have three RPIs and an odroid all running piaware.

I have three Pis, all dedicated to ADS-B.
All have:
Piaware - data feeder add-on, mlat enabled.
Planefinder - data feeder add-on.
Flightradar24 - data feeder add-on.
Adsbexchange - data feed by netcat (only those signals which are picked by my antenna) + mlat client add-on

Pi #1: Ras Pi B+
Pi #2: Ras Pi Model 2
Pi #3: Orange Pi PC

Pi #4: Pre-ordered, expected delivery next month:
C.H.I.P. $9 board: Will be put to dedicated ADSB use, as other 3 Pis. Will retire Pi #1 (B+) as its peak cpu usage touches 80% to 90% mark.

I need advice on connecting to Flighaware.com with a **wired **connection and **static **IP.

This was working until it crashed yesterday so I decided to install the latest image 3.1.0. I see planes on my local network but have no clue about the piaware-config file. This is what I have:

WIRED NETWORK CONFIGURATION

Should piaware use the wired ethernet port

for network access?

wired-network yes

Wired network configuration:

Most networks will use DHCP

wired-type static

Alternatively, a static address configuration

can be provided; set ā€œwired-typeā€ to static to use this.

wired-address 192.168.1.62
wired-netmask 255.255.255.0
wired-broadcast 192.168.1.255
wired-gateway 192.168.1.254
wired-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

The last four lines are unchanged from the Piaware image but I donā€™t know if they are suitable.

I have the piaware-config.txt file on a thumb drive plugged into the Rasp Pi.

Any pointers?

That config looks OK. The netmask/broadcast address are pretty standard. The gateway will be specific to your setup, it is the address of your modem/router, .254 and .1 are common.

Getting an error message coming up on one of my units: " AJAX call failed (timeout: timeout). Maybe dump1090 is no longer running?" It is occuring on one of my 1090.php map, local network. Any ideas, have tried be burning the image etc, same error.

Jeff

The PiAware image doesnā€™t include or use php, perhaps this is an adsb-receiver question?

Thanks ā€œobjā€

I have modified the Wired Network Configuration somewhat as pasted below. I assumed Nameservers are the primary and secondary DNS entries in my router but note that they appear on the Rasp Pi in quotations thus ā€œ199.247.157.38 198.135.216.162ā€. Still no connection though.

WIRED NETWORK CONFIGURATION

Should piaware use the wired ethernet port

for network access?

wired-network yes

Wired network configuration:

Most networks will use DHCP

wired-type static

Alternatively, a static address configuration

can be provided; set ā€œwired-typeā€ to static to use this.

wired-address 192.168.1.62
wired-netmask 255.255.255.0
wired-broadcast 192.168.1.255
wired-gateway 205.234.##.254

wired-gateway 192.168.1.254

wired-nameservers 199.247.157.38 198.135.216.162

The gateway will be on the same subnet as the Pi itself, e.g. if your Pi is assigned a 192.168.1.x address then the gateway will also be a 192.168.1.x address. This is the internal address of your router or modem. You canā€™t just pick an address for this, it has to be what your router is using.

wired-nameservers 199.247.157.38 198.135.216.162

This isnā€™t a big deal either way; if those are your ISPā€™s local nameservers that should work, the defaults are Googleā€™s public DNS resolvers which should work regardless. And even if DNS is entirely broken, piaware has some hardcoded fallback IPs it will use.

Thanks again to ā€œobjā€ my feed is now active.

The key information is that the wired-gateway had to be the IP assigned to the router to which the Rasp Pi is wired. (I had been using the WAN gateway IP). That now saves FA Support some time as well.

What are the ChartBundle layers?

@obj
@Robbwell

Since I run Piaware 3 (add-on) on Jessie-Lite img + dump1090-mutability on all of my 3 Pis, there is no file ā€œ/boot/piaware-config.txtā€

I therefore have set static IP by ā€œDHCP Reservationā€ in my router.
This is helpful to SSH on first boot, when I format microSD card and install upgraded version. Since I have easy physical access to my Pi, I find a fresh install easy and relatively headache free compared to upgrade of old version. This is not applicable in case of remotely located or difficult to reach Pi