Announcing PiAware 3.8.1!

Instead of upgrading 3.7.2 to 3.8.1, better write 3.8.1 image to a spare microSD card, slip-out old microSD card and slip-in the spare microSD card. See configuration steps here:
Howto : Piaware SD card image 3.8.0 Quickstart Guide

Using a spare microSD card for fresh install has advantage that in case of any problem with fresh install, you can replace new card by old card and your system will be up again.

On new card you should make a fresh install of FR24 feeder. I don’t foresee any problem in doing so. I have done it innumerable number of times.

First note down your FR24 feeder key either from file /etc/fr24feed.ini in existing install, or by logging in to your Fr24 account, and go to stats page, and find it there.

Next install fr24feed by the bash script. When you reach settings stage, do NOT use setting receiver="dvbt". Use receiver=Beast (TCP) and host 127.0.0.1:30005

I am feedeing several sites and updated it without losing anything.
But i did not use the full Piaware image as i am using Raspberry Buster

Thanks everyone. See all those steps scare me big time. It was a battle for me setting this stuff in the first place.

Can someone please remind me of where to find steps to install FR24 feed after getting the Flightaware feed all squared away.

It’s been so long, I can’t remember anything but the scares from my frustration.

@abcd567 has some helpful information. I assume this is still valid.

Most of howto are not simple or outdated.
Tonight I will write piaware image to a spare microSD card, then install FR24, note all steps and post procedure for FR24 in simplest form possible.

Note for piaware: By default the Piaware image behaves as dump1090-fa only. If you dont want dump978-fa, there is nothing to do more than adding ssh, wifi, and feeder key.

Piaware installation

On a spare microSD card install piaware as per QuickStart Guide linked below.
Follow steps 1 to 4 only and disregard rest of steps.

Howto : Piaware SD card image 3.8.0 Quickstart Guide

FR24 installation

1 - Retrieve your existing fr24 key

Go to page https://www.flightradar24.com and login to your account
After login, go to your stats page. On stats page you will find your fr24 key. Copy the key and paste in Notepad and save the Notepad.
See screenshots below.

Screenshot 1 of 2

Screenshot 2 of 2

Install fr24feed

Give following command

sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"   

The above command will run installation for some time, then automatically start signup process. The signup process will halt and ask for email address.

Case 1:
If you do not have a fr24 sharing key, or want a brand new key, continue inputting your email and other details. A new key will be generated and saved in file /etc/fr24feed.ini. FR24 will also send this key to you by email for your records.

Case 2:
If you already have a key, then do not enter any details. Instead break the siugnup process by pressing Ctrl and C keys together. This will result in display of ^C and command prompt "pi@piaware:~ $". Please see screenshot below.

FR24 - signup-b

Configure FR24

Give following command

sudo nano /etc/fr24feed.ini

Above command will open the config file. It will have following text

bs=yes
raw=yes
mlat="yes"
mlat-without-gps="yes"

(1) Delete all above lines by:

• bring cursor to the top line
  • keep pressed Ctrl key and repeatedly press K key till the file becomes blank.

(2) Copy paste following in this file (replace "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" by the key you have copied from your stats page).

receiver="beast-tcp"
fr24key="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
host="127.0.0.1:30005"
bs="no"
raw="no"
logmode="1"
logpath="/var/log/fr24feed"
mlat="yes"
mlat-without-gps="yes"

(3) Save file (Ctrl+o) and Close (Ctrl+x).

(4) Restart FR24 feeder

sudo systemctl restart fr24feed

(5) Check status:

fr24feed-status   

[ ok ] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process: running.
[ ok ] FR24 Stats Timestamp: 2020-03-14 06:15:24.
[ ok ] FR24 Link: connected [UDP].
[ ok ] FR24 Radar: T-CYYZ9.
[ ok ] FR24 Tracked AC: 1.
[ ok ] Receiver: connected (4 MSGS/0 SYNC).
[ ok ] FR24 MLAT: ok [UDP].
[ ok ] FR24 MLAT AC seen: 1.

(6) Check status in browser on following address:
ip-of-pi:8754

And that is all, enjoy!

NOTE

If you want a new key at any time after installation, you can signup again by following command. Complete signup and obtain a new key, which will automatically be saved in config file /etc/fr24feed.ini as well as sent to you by email.

sudo fr24feed --signup

CAUTION:

Never use FR24 setting receiver="dvbt".
This setting will install dump1090-mutability ver 1.14, which will conflict/compete for dongle with dump1090-fa, and result in a mess

2 Likes

Thanks for that very clear guide, I will try that shortly. I’ve got a FR24 account and was resigned to working out the cleanest process from scratch myself at some point as a future mini project. This gives a good starting point. I have a question about it. In the fr24feed.ini config you have

mlat="yes"
mlat-without-gps="yes"

What does this actually mean in terms of using dump1090-fa port 30005 to feed FR24? I understand what MLAT is and how it works. I know that FlightAware does not allow its own MLAT calculations from PiAware port 30105 to be resent back out to commercial services such as FR24, only for hobby VRS use.

So what are those FR24 MLAT settings actually doing? Does FR24 also calculate positions via MLAT on its own servers from the ADS-B and Mode S data we send it? If so, does it install its own equivalent of fa-mlat-client and return the info to a waiting port on dump1090-fa (analogous to port 30104)? And if it does, why do we need it anyway, since we already have FlightAware’s MLAT calculations for our own use?

Perhaps admins can move this guide and response to its own new topic, as it’s a bit buried here in this PiAware announce thread.

YES

NO
They are not generous like FA.
They keep MLAT calculation results with themselves and do NOT share it with feeders.

If you dont already have a fr24 key, use following command to complete signup and obtain a key, which will automatically be saved in config file /etc/fr24feed.ini as well as sent to you by email.

sudo fr24feed --signup

CAUTION:

Never use FR24 setting receiver="dvbt".
This setting will install dump1090-mutability ver 1.14, which will conflict/compete for dongle with dump1090-fa, and result in a mess

Well that’s jolly well not cricket. I won’t bother feeding them if they have that attitude to users. I suppose they want feeders to use their shiny “free” Business Plan and app to view the results on their service – minus the interesting aircraft they filter out, of course.

1 Like

I’m already signed up from ages ago with a Basic account. I’ve just logged in but I don’t appear to have a stats page to go to. There are probably others in the same boat. I’m not going to be feeding them but it’s worth tweaking your excellent guide to cover this particular situation, since I obviously wouldn’t be signing up a second time when I already have an account.

You don’t have to create another account.
When signing up by command sudo fr24feed --signup , just use the email which you used to create the already existing account. Next it will ask for sharing key. Leave it blank and press Enter key. You will get a new key linked to your existing account. This way you can get up to 3 keys under one account.

3 Likes

nu3e

Jan 3

In 3.8.0, if a static IP address is configured in /boot/piaware-config.txt, e.g. “wired-type static” or “wireless-type static”, you will encounter a typo that causes the static network configuration to fail.

Fix: edit line 99 of /usr/lib/piaware-support/generate-network-config

I think that maybe this may be an issue for me but can’t seem to find the folder piaware-support
I tried to follow the path but don’t find that folder?
I am apparently running 3.8.0 and would like to upgrade to 3.8.1 where I understand this problem is supposedly fixed but am not sure how to accomplish the upgrade just yet either.

@verdi You can upgrade to 3.8.1 via your My ADS-B stats page

https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/verdi

Click on the gray gear icon and select the “Upgrade and restart PiAware” Device command and hit Send. Allow a few minutes for the upgrade to finish and you should then be on 3.8.1 with the static IP fix.

1 Like

@eric1tran Thank you very much for this info ! That makes it easy One question… I am feeding FlightAware and Flightradar24. Will the update have any effect on Flightradar24?

Alternative commandline method I used:

1 - Updated, then Upgraded

sudo apt update   

sudo apt --only-upgrade install dump1090-fa piaware dump978-fa skyaware978    

2 - Checked

pi@piaware:~ $ apt policy piaware
piaware:
  Installed: 3.8.1

pi@piaware:~ $ apt policy dump1090-fa
dump1090-fa:

pi@piaware:~ $ apt policy dump978-fa
dump978-fa:

pi@piaware:~ $ apt policy skyaware978
skyaware978:
1 Like

I have installed many other feeders on my Piaware SD card (FlightRadar24, Planefinder, RadarBox24, AdsbExchange, OpenSky). The upgrade of Piaware did NOT affect these in any way. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@abcd567 Thank you for your input ! I was able to move to 3.8.1 apparently with no issues…

Is there some sort of upgrade from 3.8.0 to 3.8.1? Or do I have to do a complete reinstall? I am currently running 3.8.0 on stretch.
Thanks

Simple way, log into your FlightAware page, locate orange bar with your site number on it Look to the right, click on the gear icon. You now scroll down to the new window and locate " Device Commands". Use the drop down to familiarize yourself with the various command options that are available. Select the upgrade choice, and send that to your PiAware device. Will trigger upgrade, and restart service. Super easy.

Thanks! That worked great. I was at Buster not stretch…