Airport Happenings

Fire at Arlington (TX) Municipal Airport KGKY

“DFW| Arlington| 1 Alarm Fire| | Municipal Airport|FD O/S with hanger fire. Heavy fire/fuel exploding. Defensive attack at this time| DFW156| 19:38”

“DFW| Arlington| 2 Alarm Fire| | Municipal Airport|U/D: FD rpts metal walls bowing, fuel exploding in a hanger fire. Defensive attack only| DFW156| 19:41”

Per e-mail report:
"afd3 fg is saying they are going to shut the airport down. i’m not
hearing any unicom traffic on 123.075 which is usually active in the
evenings."
afd3 fg = Arlington FD Channel 3 (Fireground)

NT

A “defensive attack” on a fire essentially means that the structure interior will be allowed to burn. No personnel will be inside the structure or on the roof, for fear of building collapse or explosion. The fire department will pour water (or chemicals) on the exterior of the structure and attack what they can get to from the outside. The battle is essentially to keep the fire from spreading to other buildings.

A more free-form interpretation of “defensive attack” is “This fire got too much of a head start and is a lost cause. Let’s not get anyone killed over it.” It can also be assumed that no one is trapped in the burning building.

Nine single-engine planes and several automobiles were lost at that fire at Arlington (TX) Municipal Airport KGKY.

A news story and video clip are available at:

cbs11tv.com/topstories/local_sto … 81556.html

Please don’t use abbreviations that can mean more than one thing.
“NT” is a Windows operating system. It took me a while to realize that “NT” means "new topic."
In the first place, how many people really read the subject line after the first posting?

Seccondly, this is a forum used by many people, some of whom may be great at computers and others who aren’t. (I’m in the former and, like I said, it took me a while to understant you weren’t talking about Windows.

Lastly, if you have problems typing or can’t type fast, then using abbreviations isn’t going to help increase your speed or proficiency. Only practice - such as typing in “new topic” instead of “nt” will do that. (However, this doesn’t apply if you can ony type with one hand and/or
finger.)

Thank you. I’ll get off my high moral horse now.

NT = no text

This abbreviation is used all the time in forums. Sorry for the confusion.

For what it’s worth, ExCalbr, I wasn’t confused. However, I do agree (as a generality) with damiross about minimizing abbreviations that may not be universally understood. For example, I was about to start this paragraph with ‘fwiw’, but I atoned before I committed that sin.

:smiley:

As a side note, those who get police scanner alerts by e-mail or pager will recognize the universal abbreviations “IFO” and “IAO” as ‘in front of’ and ‘in the area of’. I had just begun a training period as a 911 call-taker when I took a call for a response to a traffic accident and typed in the location as “Rte.## IFO Wal-Mart”. Four different people immediately asked me what “IFO” meant, and I was instructed to stick with abbreviations that could be easily understood.

I guess that really underlines damiross’s point. ‘Obvious’ abbreviations are ‘obvious’ only to the people who use them.

Granted, I only frequent a few forums but I’ve never seen the abbreviation before.

This reminds me of the military and the government - they use 3 letters to indicate no letter: NMI :arrow_right: no middle initial

No more off-topic stuff for me - at least in this thread. :laughing: