ADS-B Receiver Project Setup Scripts

Did you wait 30 minutes before doing. Do it again, shut off the PI for several minutes and turn it on again. Eventually a properly claimed receiver should show on your account. Most of mine too around an hour to appear. The last one I had to do the power cycle trick and then it worked. A reboot doesn’t seem to be long enough. Shut if off, remove power, wait and then turn it back on.

Did it for one hour. Even reset my routeur.
Same issue.

Now weird stuff I have sudo apt-get update - y
Raspi froze.
I unplug re-plug for the tenth time. : now live and feeding on flightaware.com

Hi, I am using the Live Dump1090 Map from The ADS-B Receiver Project. Thank you for this great enhancement.

I would like to see permanent aircraft tracks, to give me an idea of activity when I am not looking at the screen.

Is there any way to show previous aircraft tracks when the aircraft are no longer being received please?

Thanks, B

I just tried to install the package - looks great, except that the graphs for Overall CPU Utilization, Memory Utilization and Disk Usage (/) stopped working after midnight…

Any clues on what could be the reason ?

Where do I find the text for the 1090-fa configuration file? I think I messed mine up adjusting the gain. No matter what I do it sets at max gain now.

DO NOT try to set gain by editing the file dump1090-fa. It is overwritten by piaware-config on reboot.

pi@piaware:~$ cat /etc/default/dump1090-fa

Generated automatically by fa_config_generator

This file will be overwritten on reboot.

DECODER_OPTIONS=“–max-range 360”
NET_OPTIONS=“–net --net-heartbeat 60 --net-ro-size 1000 --net-ro-interval 1 --net-http-port 0 --net-ri-port 0 --net-ro-port 30002 --net-sbs-port 30003 --net-bi-port 30004,30104”
JSON_OPTIONS=“–json-location-accuracy 2”
RECEIVER_OPTIONS=“–device-index 0 --gain 28.0 --ppm 0 --net-bo-port 30005 --fix”

HOW TO CHECK ALL SETTINGS

pi@piaware:~$ sudo piaware-config -show
allow-auto-updates yes # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:110
allow-manual-updates yes # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:114
image-type piaware # value set at /usr/share/piaware-support/piaware-image-config.txt:5
manage-config yes # value set at /usr/share/piaware-support/piaware-image-config.txt:4
radarcape-host your-radarcape-hostname # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:97
receiver-host your-receiver-hostname # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:101
receiver-port 30005 # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:102
receiver-type rtlsdr # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:88
rfkill no # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:121
rtlsdr-device-index 0 # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:91
rtlsdr-gain 28.0 # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:92
rtlsdr-ppm 0 # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:93
wired-address 192.168.1.10 # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:26
wired-broadcast 192.168.1.255 # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:28
wired-gateway 192.168.1.254 # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:29
wired-nameservers “8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4” # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:30
wired-netmask 255.255.255.0 # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:27
wired-network yes # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:18
wired-type dhcp # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:22
wireless-address 192.168.0.32 # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:65
wireless-broadcast 192.168.1.255 # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:67
wireless-gateway 192.168.1.254 # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:68
wireless-nameservers “8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4” # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:69
wireless-netmask 255.255.255.0 # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:66
wireless-network yes # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:41
wireless-password # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:57
wireless-ssid hippopotamus # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:56
wireless-type static # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:61

SIMPLER, SEE ONLY GAIN SETTING

pi@piaware:~$ sudo piaware-config -show rtlsdr-gain

HOW TO SET GAIN VALUE:
Gain value which takes affect, is in file /boot/piaware-config.txt
Either edit file /boot/piaware-config.txt
OR
Give following command (easier):

#set
pi@piaware:~$ sudo piaware-config rtlsdr-gain 32.8
Set rtlsdr-gain to 32.8 in /boot/piaware-config.txt:92

#check
pi@piaware:~$ sudo piaware-config -show rtlsdr-gain

#NOW REBOOT FOR NEW GAIN VALUE TO TAKE AFFECT

You don’t need to reboot the device.
You just need to restart dump1090-fa (and maybe piaware).

The above method is applicable if you have written Piaware 3.1 img (SD card) on your microSD Card.
If you have not written PIaware 3.1 img, and have written Raspbian Jessie or Armbian (Orange Pi PC) image on your microSD card, and then installed dump1090-fa, the file /boot/piaware-config.txt will not exist. In this case you have to edit the file /etc/default/dump1090-fa to change gain value

pi@orangepipc:~$ sudo nano /etc/default/dump1090-fa

dump1090-fa configuration

This is read by the systemd service file as an environment file,

and evaluated by some scripts as a POSIX shell fragment.

# If you are using a PiAware sdcard image, this config file is regenerated

on boot based on the contents of piaware-config.txt; any changes made to this

file will be lost.

RECEIVER_OPTIONS=“–device-index 0 --gain 28.0 --ppm 0 --net-bo-port 30005”
DECODER_OPTIONS=“–max-range 300”
NET_OPTIONS=“–net --net-heartbeat 60 --net-ro-size 1000 --net-ro-interval 1 --$
JSON_OPTIONS=”–json-location-accuracy 1"

Is there an optimum gain setting to set or just let Piaware automatically set it?

Each location and configuration is unique. Some people have turned it down 5-15db and increased their position reports considerably.
The scripts for gain testing are a good start.

Where can I find the scripts for gain testing? Thanks.

search “gain optimization” to get ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/gain-adjustment-t37172.html?hilit=gain%20optimization

This is what I am doing.

I have that file set to 28.0

piaware-config -show rtlsdr-gain

but…If I enter
systemctl status dump1090-fa -l
Gain reported by device: 49.60 dB

So is it running 28.0 or 49.6?

I had more details listed but the forum would not let me post.

You may need to restart piaware before you restart dump1090.

flightaware.com/adsb/prostick/setup/
This indicates that for V3.x you need to restart piaware only.

Oh, good catch, that’s wrong and I need to get it updated.

Hi all,

I need some help with ppup feeding planeplotter running on adsb receiver image v2.5 on a rasp pi 2.

When I run ./ppup1090 & the program starts normally, but if i log out on the rasp pi, after some minutes ppup stops operating.

Could anyone help me please?.

Regards,

Antonio

That is what is supposed to happen. You start ppup1090 but then close the instance running it. You need to set ppup1090 going in the background so closing the command line does not stop it.

Take a look here: satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/du … ated-start
for a script “Sample startup-script for both dump1090 and ppup1090” that might help.

If dump1090 is already starting with Piaware, etc anyway, that script will need modifying for just ppup1090. Will it work? I don’t know but if it does not try asking in the various PP forums.

Thanks for your help idh, will have a look and try.

Regards

Another BETTER possibility from discussions here???

ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/piaware-and-planeplotter-feed-auto-start-problem-ppup1090-t37330.html

Continuous process improvement.

The scripts are mind mumblingly great, but I have made the same mistake, following two separate upgrades.

During the script we enter Feeder/share code or something like that for FLIGHTRADAR24 and one other, but for FLIGHTAWARE we simply enter our username and password. I thought a lot yesterday and before entering my FA sharecode, not username, first time through. When I saw next entry was “password,” I knew I had screwed up. No big problem, I just reinstalled and all was fine. I know we have to enter the sharecodes during the process and since FA is the first one, I always “bite.” even though it clearly states the entry.

Since I have done this two times in a row, it would be helpful to me, and might be helpful to others to state on the FA entry something like “Password not Sharecode, stupid,” or words to that effect.

Thanks for consideration.

For flightaware the best option is to simply leave user name and password blank. Then go to the receiver claim page. Any new receiver reporting in on the same external IP you are using will automatically be associated with your Flightware account. Then turn off the feeder for a minute or two and turn back on and then you will see it associated with your Flightaware account. User name and password only needed when receiver is remote and you cannot connect to the Flightaware website from the same external IP.