ADS-B Receiver Project Setup Scripts

It may be a workaround to get piaware 3 to work with a running adsb-receiver script but the script should install it via ./install.sh and for me anyway , the by the wiki book method, it did not.

No big deal, I just started a fresh card but that may be daunting for those running the data junkie versions.

The script controls the destination of installed feeder programs so over riding it may cause issues later when feeders update their software. I may be wrong but I suspect that a system script running piaware 3 with the workaround install will not see the piaware 3 installation and so it will not offer future update via ./install.sh.

Just going through some posts and came across this little bit of advice from Joe. Question though and I think I have seen a suggestion re my question, what is the procedure to collect, save and transfer the data onto a new install. Please a NOBO here, but getting a bit better, a point by point answer would be helpful. :slight_smile:

I will have a go at answering a few.

First question regarding the versions is yes but there are significant changes in the -fa version with regards to decoder configuration changes such as gain, ppm etc.
Parameters can be changed on both decoder versions but the commands to do this are totally different from one another.

There are 2 different images for download, you install the version of your choice. You cannot change the decoder mut to -fa or vise versa via update or any other method once installed.
I assume this is to rid you of the problems of having 2 1090mhz decoders installed on the same pi.
A newb or seasoned user could get into a right mess.

The data in collectd graphs theoretically can be saved and exported to a new blank install, I stress theoretically as I have seen users do this before on plane finder forum but not using this scripted install.
The directories and associated files are probably in different locations when using this scripted install.
I would like to know the method used how to export and import historical graph data from one sd card running adsb-rx to another btw. That would be really neat.

The data from data junkie versions I would imagine can be saved and exported but I did recall Joe saying that a hard disk drive was a better option for those who went for data heavy installs due to the high I/O load. I think there is a warning in the script engine for this if users select enhanced install option.
So for them it may be a case of just swapping a portable HDD from one pi to the other or old station to new.

The script works very well and people pop in and out of this thread and github to contribute.
I assume like obj the author of the decoders we use contributions ,changes and enhancements are done on a time allowing basis ,
so we have to sometimes wait until Joe or others have time to make adjustments.
Perhaps the github wiki page does need a refresh as added features usually mean more explanation.

ā€™

Hi,

I should have been a bit more specific, the only question was in the inverted marks and included the rest of some of the quote to jog memories without posting the full quote. Thanks for your answers though. I do recall some one specifying which files need to be be copied to preserve you portal graph data and if someone can supply that and the method to copy and paste per say. Still getting to grips with linux and very chuffed with myself that I can manage to get the colour bling on my map displays, the heywhatstthat rings, do the gain tests to check settingsā€¦ Come a long way in a short timeā€¦ lol :slight_smile:

Jeff

I have put 2 enhancement requests on github, 260 and 261.
Perhaps some clever guys can figure out automated ways to achieve what we would like.

github.com/jprochazka/adsb-receiver/issues

Lets cross our fingersā€¦ :wink: :smiley:

I have formated microSD card and done fresh install a countless number of times on all of my 3 Pis, but never bothered to save any data. I have no use for historical data.

Is it just me or do the plane symbols seem to be too large in live map view ?
Especially when you zoom out of the map B777s etc seem to be sized too big.
I am using lite version with mutability decoder.

One of the reasons I replaced html folder of dump1090-mutability by cloned public_html folder of dump1090-fa was the large plane icons.

Now I run dump1090-mutability with dump1090-faā€™s User Interface.

Please see this post for details:
post198829.html#p198829

Edit: The other reason being facility to switch between half map, half table / full screen table / fullscreen map. This is particularly useful for tiny screen of my Android Phone.

**@Nitr0 **

github.com/jprochazka/adsb-rece ā€¦ nd-Restore

**@Radiostationx **

The data should be compatible between both dump1090-mutability and dump1090-fa.
The files/databases to back up are the same as outlined in the wiki.

If I remember right there was a way to change the dump1090 aircraft icon size of these icons posted in these forums a couple weeks back.

As far as the issues you opened in the issue tracker let me see if I can squeeze the backup feature into the upcoming release. As for the uninstall option let me figure out where I can place it into the flow of things.

@runahue

Sorry to say I do not own an sdrplay so have no way to properly support the deviceā€¦

@Anyone experiencing the PiAware v2.x to v3.xā€¦

Clean up the PiAware build directory by simply deleting it.

rm -rf ~/adsb-receiver/build/piaware

You can remove the old version of PiAware if you like as well.

sudo apt-get purge piaware

Get a fresh copy of the files from the repository if you have not done so already.

cd ~/adsb-receiver
git fetch --all
git reset --hard origin/master

Install PiAware when prompted after running install.sh.

A lot of thanks. I changed to rtl-sdr v3 and all is running fine now.
Do you have information in the wiki for updating scripts?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Ever reliable Joe. :slight_smile: But I was just thinking, now that you have set this up that when a update comes along either piaware, adsb receiver version or similar, doesnā€™t your new setup automatically update and reinstall the new version with an .install.sh??? That being the case, to my best knowledge, the only time you lose historical graph data is when you do a clean install on a reformatted card. So whilst ever the system works and you just let it update things via 'install.sh, without a format install, you shouldnā€™t lose your historical data. That would be correct Joe? But such a back up function would be good in the case of someone having to do a clean install of the system. :slight_smile:

**@runahue **

The upgrade instructions are covered in the file README.md and at github.com/jprochazka/adsb-rece ā€¦ ck-Install.

If you are running v2.4.0 or newer.

cd ~/adsb-receiver
./install.sh

If you are running a version older than v2.4.0

cd ~/adsb-receiver 
git fetch --all 
git reset --hard origin/master 
./install.sh

@jlb56

doesnā€™t your new setup automatically update and reinstall the new version with an .install.sh?

Yes it does as long as you select to upgrade the software in question when asked.

So whilst ever the system works and you just let it update things via 'install.sh, without a format install, you shouldnā€™t lose your historical data.

This is true.

But such a back up function would be good in the case of someone having to do a clean install of the system.

That or to make sure they do not loose all their data in case of a catastrophic failure such as an SD card going bad, etcā€¦

Just added this yesterday but it still needs tested and integrated.
github.com/jprochazka/adsb-rece ā€¦ /backup.sh

Just set up my 2nd Orange Pi PC with the 2.4.0 script.

Needed the additional modification provided for 2.2.0 by abcd567 of:

--dump1090 issue: edited /etc/modprobe.d/rtl-sdr-blacklist.conf and added following two lines
blacklist dvb_usb_rtl2832u
blacklist dvb_usb

Now itā€™s working ok. Thank you abcd567 :smiley:

Will replace my old portal setup (with Piaware 2.1.5) after a couple of days testing with Piaware 3.

Is your temperature graph showing data or is empty? The link to 5 workarounds given below includes empty temperature graph workaround.

For anyone who want the OrangePiPC workarounds, these are here

WORKAROUND FOR 5 ISSUES, Orange Pi PC / ARMBIAN

Is your temperature graph showing data or is empty?

:smiley: I was the one who pointed out how to get it working a long time ago - so yes temperature reads correct.

This was my first time with Armbian, previously used another version of Jessie. Everything worked fine out of the box except for the blacklisting.

Yes, you are right about you provding the temp graph work around, Sorry I forgot it was you. I now checked the ā€œ5 workaroundsā€ post and found I have mentioned it there:

Quote:
(4) Temperature graph Empty
(thanks to LudgerBoergerding, ieand, and idh for solution)

A lot of thankā€™s !
Updated 100% ok :smiley:

Trying to post in the blog i can read this errors in error.log (lighttpd)

2016-11-04 12:53:14: (mod_fastcgi.c.2702) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/html/classes/blog.class.php on line 41
2016-11-04 12:53:21: (mod_fastcgi.c.2702) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Notice: Undefined variable: blogPosts in /var/www/html/classes/blog.class.php on line 106
2016-11-04 12:53:21: (mod_fastcgi.c.2702) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/html/classes/blog.class.php on line 106
2016-11-04 12:53:21: (mod_fastcgi.c.2702) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning: simplexml_load_file(): /var/www/html/data/blogPosts.xml:9: parser error : Entity ā€˜ntildeā€™ not defined in /var/www/html/classes/blog.class.php on line 192
2016-11-04 12:53:21: (mod_fastcgi.c.2702) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning: simplexml_load_file(): ahue<p>A las 13:00 del 4 de Noviembre de 2016 aƱ in /var/www/html/classes/blog.class.php on line 192
2016-11-04 12:53:21: (mod_fastcgi.c.2702) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning: simplexml_load_file(): ^ in /var/www/html/classes/blog.class.php on line 192
2016-11-04 12:53:21: (mod_fastcgi.c.2702) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning: simplexml_load_file(): /var/www/html/data/blogPosts.xml:10: parser error : Entity ā€˜eacuteā€™ not defined in /var/www/html/classes/blog.class.php on line 192
2016-11-04 12:53:21: (mod_fastcgi.c.2702) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning: simplexml_load_file(): <p>En breve lo subirƩ al lado de la antena.</p> in /var/www/html/classes/blog.class.php on line 192
2016-11-04 12:53:21: (mod_fastcgi.c.2702) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning: simplexml_load_file(): ^ in /var/www/html/classes/blog.class.php on line 192
2016-11-04 12:53:21: (mod_fastcgi.c.2702) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function addChild() on boolean in /var/www/html/classes/blog.class.php on line 193

I ran this installation yesterday on a new pi3, chose mutability, FA and Fr24 and itā€™s working really well. My only slight gripe would be that during one of the setup stages, the text in my terminal window was in a colour that I found really difficult to read.

But itā€™s a fantastic job, thank you very much.