ADS-B 1090 and 978 on a single Pi?

SUCCESS!
OK, so I tried what abcd567 suggested, and it seemed to work, but did not survive the reboot. So, I tried again, this time using the dump1090-mutability, and for the first time, was asked to assign the dongles. I finished the setup, and left it to run overnight. Not much 978 action between midnight and dawn, however, just before 9am, I picked up my first 978 target. AND to add icing to the cake, 1090 is working as well. I couldn’t be happier.

Thank you abcd578 and weidehopf for sticking with me on this. I gladly buy you a beer, or a case, if we ever meet.

Now I’m gonna clone the SD card, and see about adding some other feeders.

Have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Glad you got it running, are you going to visit one of the antenna threads next?

Seems like rather poor reception at least for 1090 MHz, can’t judge 978 because i don’t know the amount of traffic with that.

Glad to know it is working. :grinning:

One last (probably not) question. I have to run the “./dump978-maint.sh” command manually after booting to get it to work. How/where do I place the run command to have the dump978 run at boot?
My antenna on this rig is about 4 feet off the ground on a cookie tin on my back (aluminum) screened patio. I have a 30 foot pole for my other rig. Once I get this squared away, I’ll climb up there and replace the SD card with the new and improved version.
I saw a thread about a combo 978/1090 antenna on the adsb-x forum. I may spring for one of those.
Thanks again

Are you using a single antenna with a signal splitter? That is bound to have bad reception.

Anyway i’m not sure where to put that script.

@abcd567
I’m curious though does this setup work for feeding or is it just the local map on the 978 part?

Not sure yet. Haven’t had a target on there long enough to match up to FA. I may take a ride out to the hangar and test it with a battery and Wifi hotspot this weekend.

No, you dont have to manually run anything. When the RPi boots, the dump978-maint.sh is started automatically by /etc/rc.local, as the JP’s installation scripts adds following startup line in it.

/home/pi/adsb-receiver/build/dump978/dump978-maint.sh &

Please post the output of following command:

cat /etc/rc.local  

I think it feeds dump1090 on port 30001 using netcat. Please see below

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat adsb-receiver/build/dump978/dump978-maint.sh

#!/bin/bash

# Start dump978 without logging.

while true; do

rtl_sdr -d 0 -f 978000000 -s 2083334 -g 48 - | /home/pi/adsb-receiver/build/dump978/dump978/dump978 | tee >(/home/pi/adsb-receiver/build/dump978/dump978/uat2json /var/www/html/dump978/data) | /home/pi/adsb-receiver/build/dump978/dump978 /uat2esnt | /bin/nc -q1 127.0.0.1 30001

sleep 15

done

Here is the result of cat /etc/rc.local

Also, the feed is sending data to FA, just not sure if also includes the 978 along with the 1090
TIA

Your screenshot shows that following line has been already added to /etc/rc.local by JP’s script:

/home/pi/adsb-receiver/build/dump978/dump978-maint.sh &

You do NOT need to run ./dump978-maint.sh manually. It is run by /etc/rc.local automatically every time you boot/reboot.

The dump978 feeds UAT978 planes to dump1090-mutability (or fa) on port 30001. The dump1090-mutability (or fa) adds this data to their own data and pass to Piaware data feeder, which sends it to Flightaware.

You can check that it’s running with:
pgrep -fa dump978-maint.sh

There were some changes to rc.local with stretch but it should still be working because the receiver-project makes that file work again.

another way to check is to give following command:

then check on right-most column if rtl_sdr is running.

dump1090 is running, but no sign of dump978. When I run the ./dump978-maint.sh command, it does this

Never returns to command prompt unless I ^C out of it

pgrep

Maybe I’ll try again. I have lots of SD cards. LOL

Nah give me a bit we’ll figure out why rc.local is not being executed.
Check the following please:

ls -l /etc/rc.local
and
systemctl status rc.local

This mystery needs solving :wink:

LOL, thanks. Here it is

Yeah for some reason it is not executable
Do this:
sudo chmod +x /etc/rc.local

Reboot the pi and check with pgrep or on the dump978 map if it’s running :slight_smile:

And i’m still curious, are you running a splitter or are you using 2 antennas currently?

1 Like

2 antennas. 2 dongles. Never had a splitter

FYI, I’m picking up an occaisional aircraft on the dump978.php page, but not seeing it on FA.

dump978 is running now

:slightly_smiling_face: :clap: :+1:

By the way, which Software do you use for SSH? It does not seem to be PuTTY or Mac/Linux Terminal