Added filter. Gained flights on FR24, dropped on flightaware

Agree 100%

I was using the dark blue FA filter for a while with the same or different gain settings.
Results i observed

• Slightly decreased range (in the graphs1090 visible)
  • Slightly decreased message rate, even with highest gain
  • Time of appearance of departure aircraft from FRA later
  • Overall performance (FA stats) without significant difference

That’s why i removed the filter again.
So it’s really recommended to test it and not trust in the frequency scans only

5-10 Minutes of testing is not giving you a real picture how it performs. From my experience in the last weeks it needs at least a comparable day (e.g. weekday to weekday) to identify the potential changes.

Lol did you look at the graphs?
His interference is so bad he basically looses all traffic if the ProStickPlus doesn’t have an extra filter in front of it.

It was more a general statement, i agree on his stats, but wanted to avoid that others are following the same approach in general.

Recieved my two blue ProStick+ today, and swapped them instead of my green Flightsticks (Radarbox) - The -3 dB messages went a little up (nothing else changed), maybe a more powerful amp, i don’t know… (But amps do amplify noise to)… No improvement in message count/s, planes on the map, or range… If someone are courious; i got two Pi’s, two antennas, and two LNA’s, I can run them side-by-side, only difference being the antennas.

One annoying “feature” though, the housings are way to large, you can’t even fit the powercable in a Pi4 (in Argon ONE case), and you can’t use any other of the USB-ports because of this big guy… Gonna sell those again.

Bummer…

Note: Don’t take this as a review - But i’m disappointed with this product, when another competitor can make them (a lot) smaller, similar price and same (or better) performance. Really, not impressed.

Get one of these instead, if you wanna use other USB-ports on your Pi; https://www.amazon.co.uk/AirNav-RadarBox-FlightStick-Advanced-Receiver/dp/B07K47P7XD?ref_=ast_sto_dp

This could also be related to a bit more traffic today than the days before.

If you are living in an optimal environment, you will not see a difference, both stick are then able to deliver similar values.
We made your experience on a different location too.

That’s why many people are using a pigtail/USB extension cable.
The devices are getting warm, some hot. Maybe a smaller case would cause problems.

I doubt - The other receiver was running at normal… (I did not swap both at once)…
And when i swapped the dongles, the only improvement was nothing. Other than the FA stick blocks all other USB ports - Bad design…

You’re not the first to complain about the width of the Pro Stick and Pro Stick Plus. We’re working on a series of updated designs for both. The first round will feature slightly better performance and should be available later this year. The second round of improvements will address form factor. We hope to have those available for sale in Q2 of 2021.

I’m sorry you’re disappointed. USB extension cords are a good option if you need access to the other ports.

That is exactly what almost everyone does. I have two ProSticks plugged into one RPi (orange for 978 & blue for 1090) , one directly, other through short USB cable.

I am also using RB24 RadarStick (green) on another Pi. Due to small form factor/case size, it runns pretty warm. Some users have found followowing solution for this:

1 Like

Friend of mine is using the stick outdoor in a case where the Raspi is in, but a fan is blowing fresh air into it all the time

He also mentioned that it’s getting damn hot from time to time without extra cooling.

I’m happy to see how V2 ends up :slight_smile:

Yeah, a short USB-Extender would solve the problem for now.

To be fair, it looks like i got a little more range… The rangeplot on my VRS seems to have increased a little. But maybe it’s just the higher gain. The messages > -3dB has bumped up a little vs. the green stick.

I’ve seen such range deviations from time to time, it could be also depending on the weather.
My graphs1090 are showing a max average of max. 150NM on bad days and >160NM on good weather days.

Maybe it’s by chance, but it is reproducable

It was in my mind the weather could play a role… But the other reciever is still getting the same range as always.
Reciever one, running blue stick, is usually peaking at around 207-209 nm (with the green stick). It’s on 222 nm today.
Reciever two is still running the green stick, it has been peaking on 231-235 nm on different days. It’s on 231 nm today. I have to find an USB-extender to get the other blue stick running.

I had larger deviations while having low amount of traffic. Could be that a single aircraft is plotting it by simply doing the same flight a little more far away as usual.

Any deviation of 10NM i am counting as “ground noise”.

What also can happen is something like this:

This peak gave me a 256NM range on Radarbox which is clearly not valid and created by bad/wrong data of a single aircraft.

Yeah, it’s probably a coincidence. But strange that it never had been that high before. The 207-209 nm is very consistent over the last 14 days, where my antennas went up in the air.

We are always chasing the last 2%, aren’t we :smiley:

This should be your possible range as long as you do not capture traffic more far away

Heh, the Pro Stick v2.0 is a completely separate project from what I mentioned earlier in this thread. The third round of prototypes of those should be ready for our review in two or three weeks. We’ll probably do a fourth round and then a production run. If all goes well FlightAware will have a USB3 SDR for sale by the holidays of this year.

3 Likes

Will it fit a USB port, and leave the “neighbour” free?. My biggest complain is the huge size, and no improvement over other sticks…

But feel free to send me one, and i’ll see how it’s performing :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I have holidays by now… What would the USB3 version offer, more then the other? And when is the holidays?

The first publicly available version of the v2.0 will be of a similar form factor to the existing FlightAware SDRs. That said it will have a significant performance increase. I don’t want to quote numbers yet because we have two rounds of prototyping to go and need to make a decision on which tuner we want to go with.

I could have been more specific about the holidays in question, sorry! I’d like to have the v2.0 for sale by late November 2020.

1 Like

I can’t hold my breath - I’ve already posted money in an “upgrade” - And got nothing…

What is so fancy about the new reciever? USB3, yeah, but? Enlighten me :slight_smile: EDIT: It’ll still work on RPI3 with USB2 right?