978 MHz antenna for UAT

No, the pro stick plus has the filter. The Pro stick just has the amp.
https://flightaware.com/adsb/prostick/

I have to use cavity filters as I have half a dozen cell towers within 500ft.
I got a batch of 1090Mhz and 978Mhz for about $US30 each.
The Jetvision 1090Mhz has less loss but was about three times the price.

1 Like

althought i originally voted “no” re buying the UAT antenna i would purchase the antenna and additional dongle if the piaware install were as simple as the current 1090 install (piaware and sd card). i would just need to hide the additional antenna cable from my wife as she is still fuming about the first LMR400 laying on the roof.

jonhawke2030,
if I set dump1090 to -net mode then it would shut off the dongle? Or will it allow the in connect to occure while Dump1090 is still running my pro stick plus for 1090 data?

It will stop dump1090 using the dongle to decode 1090Mhz.

1 Like

Ok, thanks that is what I thought. Now I am pondering to take my second Pi to make a second feeder just for 978 UAT. If possible…

I have re-imagined my SD card for using two dongles - one for 1090MHz ADS-B/Mode S one for 978MHz UAT.
Now dump978 sends data to 30001 where i set dump1090-fa to “listen” (default was disabled).
I just need a good antenna now :smiley:

1 Like

I will buy an antenna.

I will also buy a Pro Stick and the 1090 MHz filter.

When it comes out, I will also buy the 978 MHz Pro Stick Plus.

you used the Piaware image and added Dump 978 to the Pi? Now what setting did you use to let 1090 to listen?

If you do so for UAT, it’ll not work properly or at all. The FA filter lower cutoff is 980MHz. Others are even tighter.

I have tried to use Joe’s script to install both. Previously it worked OK, but now it failed on a few parts.

However, I did manage to install the dump978 and the start-up files but not the local web-server page (but the one at :8080 still works).
Several changes that I needed to do by hand - I had to re-assign the receiver sticks by hand.
The script picked them arbitrarily, but I knew their serials and hence the ID’s (using rtl_eeprom). It’s important because I had a FA Stick Plus (filter for 1090MHz, amp, serial 00001000), and a generic one (serial 00000010 originally, tried to change it to 00001010 but didn’t make a difference).
How to Change Serial Number of A Dongle

In tutorial below it will be changed from default 00000001 to 00000000.
(A) Dongle Plugged into Raspberry Pi
STEP-1

First stop the dump1090 to make Dongle free for use by rtl tools.

#Give one of the command according to version of dump1090 you have installed
#If you are not sure of version, give all three commands one by one
sudo systemctl stop dump1090
sudo systemctl stop dump1090-mutability
sudo systemctl stop dump1090-fa
STEP-2

Install package rtl-sdr, if not yet done.
The tool rtl_eeprom is part of package rtl-sdr

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install rtl-sdr
STEP-3

Now give the command rtl_eeprom -s 00000000 to reset the serial number
The last line of output will ask confirmation to go ahead with change.
Type y and press Enter key

rtl_eeprom -s 00000000
Found 1 device(s):
  0:  Generic RTL2832U OEM

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner

Current configuration:
Product:                RTL2838UHIDIR
Serial number:          00000001
Serial number enabled:  yes
IR endpoint enabled:    yes
Remote wakeup enabled:  no

New configuration:
Product:                RTL2838UHIDIR
Serial number:          00000000
Serial number enabled:  yes
IR endpoint enabled:    yes
Remote wakeup enabled:  no

#After typing y and pressing Enter key, you will get this confirmation message
Configuration successfully written.
Please replug the device for changes to take effect.

Then you have to change the settings for the dump1090-fa (or whatever you have). For me it was this sequence:

sudo nano /etc/default/dump1090-fa

sudo systemctl restart dump1090-fa

sudo systemctl status dump1090-fa -l

Change the ID and gain to match what dongle you want. Also, for my dump1090-fa I had to change the NET_OPTIONS line to have the input like this: --net-ri-port 30001

Then do the same for the dump978:

sudo nano /home/pi/adsb-receiver/build/dump978/dump978-maint.sh

Of course, one will have ID 0 and the other ID 1.

Ah, and check to see if the dump978 created the autorun entry in

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

And also if is executable:

sudo chmod +x /etc/rc.local

But all this is probably off-topic here, I apologize.

1 Like

Sonic67,
I shall try this tomorrow afternoon on my Piaware. If all works good then my second Pi will be used for acars.

Thank You for pointing that out. Tantalizingly close…

1 Like

I ran into several errors installing Dump 1090 mutability scripts for dump 1090 FA. I see some forum posts that show the same problems which are a bit out of league for me. Now people did ask about using the Orange pro stick for 987 UAT, In my personal set up I think that I gained up to 50 miles more in coverage. I see aircraft 65 miles and that isnt too bad for a mode used at low angle, for low altitude. I hope to see a FA antenna for this or FA comes back with their dual band antenna and a decent signal spliter.

You should be able to run dump1090,dump978 and two dongles running ACARS on an RPI.

1 Like

How about some combiner/splitters so we could use one downlink cable with two antenni?

John the problem I have is getting Dump 978 installed properly with my Dump 1090-fa. I have Dump 978 installed as per the installation of Dump 1090 Mutability on a separate Pi 3. I would like to see if it is possible to have Dump 978 to be interacting with Dump 1090 Mutability since it was installed as the same package.

Send it to port 30001. Just make sure that dump1090 is listening for AVR in port 30001.
I have it working like this for a long time.

John, The only thing I need to know is the sudo commands and config settings for both the Dump 1090 and the Dump 978 config. Then I will be a very happy camper!

In August you said -

“Also, FlightAware will develop the piaware solution for UAT. Right now the UAT sites are custom built and not the easiest thing to setup.”

Is this still happening? If so, any guess as to when?

1 Like

I don’t have any specific timeline to announce but we may have more to report on this in 2019.

1 Like