777-200ER Bird Strike (nothing new though)

What do y’all think about this? I don’t think this is a bird strike. I think the birds saw the plane, and then turned hard right, because if you look from 0:51 through 0:57 the birds do not go through the engine. Plus the engine might kinda go puff puff puff for a couple seconds, but those P&W’s might just chew up and spit out birds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ80yFJAfRc

I think if that video isn’t doctored, those birds are definitely goners. As it appears in the video, they definitely get sucked right in. Whether or not it’s legit though, I don’t know.

But the thing is, you can still see the birds against the engine, but not through the engine??? Who knows.

Yeah, I don’t know Will. I watched it again this morning a couple of times. When they’re “expelled”, there are still 3 distinct seperate objects - the same as when they appeared to be sucked into the intake. I don’t think the engine would have a problem ingesting the birds, but I think it’d spit them out as more of a fine dust and not 3 seperate objects. Yeah, after watching it again, I think they are slightly below the engine and are blown back by the jetwash. Very close call for the birds I think.

That poor 777 missed another meal. :cry::laughing:

Here’s a real one Will - you may have seen this one before though:

Looks like they didn’t get sucked through, but aren’t those GE engines on all long range 777’s and freighters?

Twin-Engine Design – Fuel Efficient, Quiet and Reliable
Three engine manufacturers developed more efficient and quieter turbofans to power the 777. General Electric offers its GE90 series, Rolls Royce offers the Trent 800 series of engines and Pratt & Whitney offers the PW4000 series. For the longer range 777 models and the Freighter, GE is the exclusive engine supplier with its GE90-115B and GE90-110B. All three engine types offer excellent fuel efficiency.
Key factors in this performance are new, larger-diameter fans with wide-chord fan blade designs and bypass ratios ranging from six-to-one to as high as nine-to-one. This compares to the typical five-to-one ratio for the engines of previous twin-aisle jets.

The -200LR, -300ER, and -200LRF (freighter) are GE exclusives. The -200, -200ER, and -300 have options from all three major engine manufacturers.

777F has the GE90-110, and the -300ER has the GE90-115.

[quote=“WiserTime07”]
Here’s a real one Will - you may have seen this one before though:

Yeah I love that video! I like the full version. :wink:[/quote]

Yeah, they just missed.

Cool vid, never seen it before, thanks for posting!

Well, I looked at the vid some more and now I’m more confused than ever. I think for sure one of the birds missed the engine, the one that passes on the left side of the engine (nearest the camera). The other two birds look like they pass in front of the bright engine nacelle and then you don’t see them again until they come out from behind the engine, which seems to me would mean that they would have to have gone through the engine. But how can they come out of the engine looking about like the one that missed?

If you look very closely, you can see them pass under the wing, on the right side of the engine. It appears that they missed the intake by inches based on what I see. I’ve got a 21" lcd monitor here in my office too, so that helps.

But once you see them past the engine, they are all still in one piece. If they got sucked through, there would be more than three pieces of bird flying through the air.

Yeah, makes sense that they would be shredded. Still looks like all three pass in front of the bright leading edge on the far side of the engine, but only one mkes it by the near (left) side of the engine. Still looks to me like if the other two got in front of the engine and didn’t pass on the left, they would have had to get sucked through as they pass between the far bright nacelle and the camera and at that point, there is nowhere else to go but through the engine. I do wish I had a bigger and better monitor, only got a small laptop. This is driving me nuts, man what a video!

This has been around a while - not a video and probably not a bird strike, but cool pic of 777 trouble nonetheless if you’ve never seen it:

airliners.net/photo/Malaysia … 677f2acc61

Notice chunks of metal in the exhaust.

That’s a great pic.

Fan blade trouble, maybe?

If I recall correctly, that’s liberated chunks of the bypass duct.

POST DELETED

and around here…you’ll get a handfull. Or would that be pagefull? Good “shooting” btw.