6 Continent Club

Which airliners or airports have direct service to all (ex. ant.) continents? While were on the subject, who here has been to all 7???

I count JFK, FRA, JNB, DXB, NRT, and SYD as the 7 with 6 continent club status?

I sincerely doubt that there’s any single airport anywhere, not even LHR, JFK or LAX, that has direct non-stop service to all 6 continents.

I’ve been to all six, hoping to add Antarctica to the list before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

JFK:
Air Tahiti Nui nonstop to PPT (Oceania)
JAL nonstop to NRT (Asia)
South African nonstop to either dkr or jnb (Africa)
British Airways nonstop to LHR (Europe)
Delta nonstop to GRU (South America)
American Airlines nonstop to SJU (North America)

You can’t just replace Australia with Oceania like that. :wink:

Years ago Air New Zealand used to fly a sight seeing tour around Antarctica, but didn’t land.

Could millitary flights count? B-52’s go all over the place. 8)

Oceania isn’t one of the continents, nor need you go so far to get there, Hawaii is part of Oceania.

Dakar is a non-stop, but you can’t get to Jo’burg without a stop from US.

JFK would be a winner if you could get to Australia non-stop.

Believe this is under consideration by Qantas when they get their 787’s.

I was of the opinion that the 772-ER already had the legs for those routes. Not enough seats vs. the 787 for them to be economically viable?

Disregard what I said about Qantas doing Australia/New York nonstop. Just read the press release again. Qantas wants the 787 in order to bypass Asia on its flights to Europe.

The 777-200ER would barely have the range to do SYD/JFK. Though the route is only 400 great circle distance miles more than the current Singapore/New York flights by Singapore, you need to consider that the routing would probably be much longer due to lack of suitable diversion airports, even at 180 minutes ETOPS. I don’t think the A340-500 would be able to do it, either, although ETOPS wouldn’t come in play for it because it has 4 engines.

JFK would be a winner if you could get to Australia non-stop

PPT is on the conenent of Australia!!

That would be like saying Iceland is not part of Europe!!!

It’s actually nowhere close.

BTW, it’s ‘continent.’ :wink:

I know where Tahiti is. What continent would you classify PPT on???

It’s not on any continent. Papeete is in French Polynesia - in the middle of the ocean! There are some locations, believe it or not, that are not associated with any continent. These are mainly in the Pacifc but there are also some in the other oceans such as Diego Garcia and Ascension Islands in the Indian and Atlantic oceans respectively.

The islands in the Pacific are commonly called Oceania but this is by no minds of the imagination a continent.

A continent is a large unified landmass, and there is no large piece of land withing at least 3000 miles of PPT. So if you go to PPT you would claim you have been to the Australian continent? That is ridiculous.

Tahiti is not a part of any continent, it is by itself out in Oceania.

As one who has enjoyed geography for most of his life, it is really sad to see what isn’t taught in schools now. The fact that Oceania is NOT a continent but rather islands in the Pacific Ocean is something that kids should know by the 3rd grade at the latest!

I think it should be learned in a game of Trivial Pursuit as an adult or in an aviation discussion forum. There’s so much more that REALLY needs to be learned in grade school that isn’t being taught - like spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Besides learning the basics in school (grade or junior high or senior high), you’d think one would pick up geography through his/her/its interest in the airline industry. That’s another place where I learned a lot of my geography - looking at airline route maps.

It’s not! It’s an island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

While Iceland is considered a European nation due to its history and population, geologically it sits astride the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and is therefore on both the North American and European continents.

As to your other statement that Tahiti is somehow part of the Australian landmass, PPT isn’t even on the same tectonic plate as Australia, let alone the same continent.

It’s not! It’s an island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

While Iceland is considered a European nation due to its history and population, geologically it sits astride the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and is therefore on both the North American and European continents.

As to your other statement that Tahiti is somehow part of the Australian landmass, PPT isn’t even on the same tectonic plate as Australia, let alone the same continent.

Were going to have to agree to disagree on this. As to the point that I should have been taught this, I am a two time National Geographic Geography Bee top ten finisher in the state. That means that I placed tenth highest in knowledge of geography in the state of TN twice. I do however agree that it should be tought earlier.

It’s not like we’re talking about an opinion here. Tahiti IS NOT a part of the Australian continent, period.