2017-03-07 HA 43 Returning to SJC

I’ve been pretty lucky in not being on planes that are stuck on the ground on a taxiway, or that have to return to the departure city. (Pause while I knock on wood.)

In addition to customers being held hostage on those taxiways, I would imagine that people are also being held hostage on those planes that are dumping fuel to reduce their landing weight. By hostage I am referring to staying seated and being unable to move about the cabin (restroom visits).

The fact that Hawaiian Airlines flight 43 had to return to San Jose today brought up this question.

Am I correct in thinking passengers are NOT allowed to move about in either of these circumstances or any other emergency type situations?

In my opinion this is NOT my idea of a good time. That and being stuck on a “freeway” for hours due to accidents. That’s when a FREEway becomes a PARKway.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

The article I read about this says the aircraft was in holding to burn off fuel, not dump it. This chart describes which Boeing a/c have dump capabilities.
boeing.com/assets/pdf/commer … eldump.pdf

The chart basically says a 767-300 does not have the capability, unless the airline modifies the a/c for it.

And, the aircraft problem was a bad generator. Except for the inconvenience and boredom of 4 hours of holding, I bet it was just like any other airplane flight. There would be no reason to strap everyone into their seats for 4 hours.