2 Questions: Wifi & cable

Hi All

Is there any benefit to ethernet cable connection the Raspberry to the router vs wifi ?
Also is there any degradation of signal the longer the cable from pi to antenna ?

Thanks!

Mark

ethernet of course is always faster and a bit more stable - but i ran/run wifi since long and it works fine. the antenna coax cable is up to 15 feet no problem. the dongle best sits directly in the pi-usb - a short usb-cable is possible but often prone for problems.

Thanks Tom

Can you recommend any other software then Debian Jesse to communicate with Pi ?
I have only found .img & .iso downloads. Would like to find an .exe where I don’t have to use Power ISO etc.
I do have Winzip…

Mark

to commuicate with the pi or an os to run on the pi?

Communicate with Pi

Mark

you can use any ssh client windows e.g. putty - if you install the raspbian gui you can use on windows e.g. vnc-viewer to remote desktop into pi. sorry i’m on mac …

I’m a total noob.

Sam

(1) Find out your local IP from your Flightaware status page https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/esa1178

(2) Click this link to download PuTTY windows installer
https://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/w32/putty-0.70-installer.msi

(3) Doble click downloaded installer to install the PuTTY.

(4) After installation is complete, open PuTTY. It will be like screenshot below

PuTTY-1

(5) Enter your Pi’s Local IP you found from your flightaware stats page in step (1), and make sure SSH is selected and port is 22. Click Open button.

PuTTY-2

(6) You will get a warning. Click Yes button

PuTTY-4

(7) A SSH Cosole window will open with one line Login as . Type pi and press enter. Then it will ask password . Type password (the typed password will not be visible to you). Press Enter key, and you are ready to start using commands.

PuTTY-5

1 Like

One more thing, you need to enable SSH before you can connect to the PiAware SSH connection.

Directions are here for both SSH and how different OS can connect through SSH.

1 Like

As David Baker has rightly pointed out, first thing you have to do is to enable SSH. The easiest way to do this is:
(1) Shutdown/Power off Pi.
(2) Slip-out microSD card from Pi, slip it in a card reader. Plug card reader into your Windows/Mac Computer.
(3) Open Windows/Mac File explorer/File Manager and click on drive pertaining to microSD card. It is drive (F) in my computer, but may be different letter in your computer. This will open the boot folder of the microSD Card.

(4) Create a new blank text file SSH (SSH.txt if file extensions are shown) in the microSD card’s boot folder.

(5) Eject microSD card from Windows/Mac computer, slip it into Pi, and power-up. The Pi will now be enabled for SSH, and you can connect to it through PuTTY.

1 Like

i find an invaluable tool mobaxTerm, say, an ‘advanced putty’ for multi-sessions and folder/file transfers to/from Win7 and Pi.
https://mobaxterm.mobatek.net

1 Like

Yes, I have used it sometme ago. It is good and has advanced features which are useful for special needs. However for day to day simple SSH to Pi, the PuTTY is simpler and easier.