PiAware version 2 to version 3 upgrade

Note this is for advanced users. The simplest way to install/setup PiAware is by using the image-based SD card install. See the PiAware 3 announcement thread.

Today I’m excited to announce the availability of the upgrade option from PiAware 2 to PiAware 3!

You can initiate the upgrade from your “My ADS-B” Stats page (click the link at the top of any page on flightaware.com) by using the “Send command to device” feature.

Please note:

1. You must upgrade PiAware using the “Upgrade and restart PiAware” option FIRST. (The other options will not upgrade PiAware 2.)
  2. Once you have upgraded PiAware you may upgrade dump1090. On wheezy-based installs, you may need to reboot the system to get the dump1090 map working after doing the upgrade.
  3. Upgrading a PiAaware 2 install will upgrade PiAware and optionally dump1090, but it will not give you all of the PiAware configuration capabilities. You will need a SD card install to take advantage of PiAware 3’s new configuration features.

Thank you for your interest in PiAware!

I’ll take the upgrade for now and hope we’ll see new config features in a later upgrade ? :slight_smile:

Unlikely to happen, they are invasive changes that are at best risky to apply to a PiAware-2-based image. You will need to reimage with a PiAware 3 sdcard image to get the system configuration features. Once you are on that image, you’ll keep the configuration abilities across updates.

An upgraded PiAware 2 still uses the piaware-related config options, it just doesn’t act on any of the system config options such as receiver configuration, network setup etc.

I never go for an OS upgrade by upgrade commands. Instead I format microSD Card and burn the latest upgraded image…no headaches, no dbugging, and a perfect and clean upgrade.

but when a receiver is 1000 miles away … in-place is all you’ve got!

1 Like

In this case upgrading by upgrade command is the only practical solution.

Please note:

1. You must upgrade PiAware using the “Upgrade and restart PiAware” option FIRST. (The other options will not upgrade PiAware 2.)

Did this and the upgrade went fine. Saw no reason to upgrade my dump1090-mutability 1.15~dev

But then I noticed that the log on the stats page was not displaying any new messages. However, the piaware.log indicated everything was working fine. Then I noticed a new site had been created on my stats page as a result of the upgrade. So data is being fed but not from my original site.

Since this is the same RPi2B and same wifi dongle what went wrong? Never in the past has this happened when upgrading piaware from the Stats page.

Any way out of this change?

Your old site was reporting a MAC that’s definitely not a Pi MAC address (it starts with 00:0f); maybe you modified piaware to report something different? Note that PiAware has always used the ethernet MAC address when running on a Pi, even if you have a wifi dongle installed.

The new site is reporting a MAC address that looks like a Pi.

Upgrades of piaware are invariably going to trash any local changes you have made to the piaware code itself.

Your old site was reporting a MAC that’s definitely not a Pi MAC address (it starts with 00:0f); maybe you modified piaware to report something different? Note that PiAware has always used the ethernet MAC address when running on a Pi, even if you have a wifi dongle installed.

The new site is reporting a MAC address that looks like a Pi.

This specific Pi has been feeding data to FA for a couple of years like that and no MAC issue ever surfaced. I’ve never meddled with the MAC address on any of my Raspberries.

As mentioned in my original post, I have used the upgrade feature on the stats page in the past on that machine with no issues.

Both this Pi and the one I feed FR24 with have MAC addresses that begin with 00:0F and when I check using the Fing network scanner, the MAC’s are the same.

I checked the ethernet MAC address which is b8:27:eb:32:1b:00 . I have it configured for eth2, not eth0. Is this the issue?

Both this Pi and the one I feed FR24 with have MAC addresses that begin with 00:0F and when I check using the Fing network scanner, the MAC’s are the same.

What I should have said is that the MAC address for the Pi In question is reported the same by ifconfig and my network scanner. And the two different Pi’s both report MAC’s beginning with 00:0f

It sounds like PiAware 3 is working correctly and there was something in your setup which was confusing PiAware 2. eth2 on a Pi is pretty bizarre, what did you do to it?

Where is the 00:0f:… MAC of your old site from?

edit: the specific change in the logic was:

I would guess that you have no eth0 so case 1 does not work, and when falling back to case 2, ifconfig vs. ip order the interfaces differently (in particular, ip shows down interfaces, ifconfig doesn’t) and it ends up picking a different one.

It’s yet another reason why we need to move to something other than MAC address for identifying sites, but that is not a short term thing.

Makes sense now. I could try to reset everything to eth0, but am inclined to leave well enough alone since things are working.

Personally, the stats being split among sites doesn’t really bother me, but will fix if FA has a prefeence in a case like this.

Would you advise updating dump1090-mutability 1.15~dev ? I already have added circles, flags and colors.

Thanks for the assistance.

Richard Schreiber

I had manual updates disabled, so used this command

piaware-config -manualUpdate 1

Then needed to reboot.

Did the upgrade, flight counts are down, although Im going to see if they come back up after the heavy rains we had today caused it.

I though it was the easy way to do it and not break it. My maps are all pooched

SOOO

Tomorrow Im going to delve into re-image

UGH, I know I can break that easy.

Wish I could get my original Dec 26th 2014 date back.

You haven’t given enough information to diagnose any problems here. Did you reboot after upgrading dump1090?

There is no compelling reason to switch to the FA-provided dump1090 if you’re happy with what you have with (a recent version of) dump1090-mutability, they share the same demodulator/decoder.

I’m very satisfied and since the demod and decoder are the same, no reason to make any changes.

Thanks !

Yep, OBJ I was averaging 1029 flights a day, yesterday it dropped to 920. Very Odd. Yes always reboot.

Did a Update/upgrade today and all is well again. even got my maps back. Still on Muta and all is well.

Dunno what happened.

OBJ: upgraded my K4AA-3 site remotely (1200 mi. away.) Site successfully upgraded to 3.0.5. It is reporting properly to FA. However I cannot get to the map any longer.
I upgraded dump1090 and did the reboot. I am accessing the site via SSH. The site router should be forwarding port 1090 and 8080 to the Pi 8080. I must be missing something. Site IP is (elided - obj). Feel free to ssh into 22. Standard passwords etc. Thanks . . . .Joe K4AA

3.0.5 serves the map on port 80. You will need connectivity to port 80 somehow. The listener on port 8080 just returns a redirect that tells the browser to use port 80.