New, inexpensive 1090MHz antenna for sale

Hi everyone,

We’re now making our custom antenna (that ships with FlightFeeders) available for sale. It is an indoor/outdoor antenna with an N-type connector and mounting bracket. We’re making it available at-cost, currently only via amazon, to help the community with better coverage. The price is $44.95, which is way cheaper than the previous indoor/outdoor antenna we sold and by far the least expensive antenna on the market in this class:

amazon.com/dp/B00WZL6WPO?tag=fligh01-20

Any feedback or links to related accessories (e.g., adapters, connectors, cables, etc) would be appreciated so we can link to those as well. Later this month, we’ll be offering a 1090MHz pass-band filter for sale at-cost as well.

Daniel

3 Likes

I used these items to convert the Flight Feeder antenna from N to F for RG6 cabling, add amplification, power insertion, and a pigtail to convert from F back to SMA (Pigtail gets rid of the stiff RG6 cable connection at receiver).

N to F

amazon.com/gp/product/B00G4B … ge_o09_s00

amplifier
amazon.com/gp/product/B000X2 … ge_o05_s00

power injector

amazon.com/gp/product/B003C2 … ge_o02_s00
Pigtail F to SMA
amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQ3 … ge_o08_s00

So, I guess impedance of the antenna and the filter will be 50 Ohm, right?

What type of connectors will the filter have? SMA?

If you mix it with RG6 cable/sat power inserter/sat amplifier, you will have quite a few 50/75 Ohm transitions, even worse, if you use 50 Ohm cable.

If you use no amp, 50 Ohm cable and an RTL SDR, you will only have one transition at the dongle.

Will it also be availabe through an european Amazon subsidiary?

Regards,

Kabuse

I tried to add it to my cart on Amazon.com, but was told that the item, as posted, cannot be shipped to Canada. And the item cannot be found on Amazon.ca
…Tom

As Kabuse was saying, you want to minimize the number of switches between 75 ohms and 50 ohms since there is a loss every time you switch. The losses are around 0.2dB per mismatch and can add up quickly if you get the wrong parts and switch the impedance more than necessary.

The Antenna has a N female connector.
The 1090MHz band pass filter is rated at 50 ohms and has sma male one side with a sma female the other side.

For cabling you can choose from:
RG-6 and RG-11 has 75 ohms impedance.
LMR-240 and LMR-400 has 50 ohms impedance.

If you use no amp, 50 Ohm cable and an RTL SDR, you will only have one transition at the dongle.

We have tested the RTL dongle with this exact setup. Using the FlightAware antenna with a 50 ohms cable (like an LMR-240 rating) directly into an RTL dongle will get about 160-200NM max range. There is a variation in antenna and cables but you can expect over a 2 times range improvement over the stock antenna.

I used these items to convert the Flight Feeder antenna from N to F for RG6 cabling, add amplification, power insertion, and a pigtail to convert from F back to SMA (Pigtail gets rid of the stiff RG6 cable connection at receiver).

Yes. This would work well as long as you are staying in 75ohms for everything.

Any more info on the band pass filter? SAW or LC? Insertion loss? Response curve?
Glad to see you doing this!

bob k6rtm

Thanks ! … I bought one antenna

Any help? This is what I get from Amazon…

Can’t Ship to This Address

This may be because:

The following types of items can’t be shipped to buyers outside the U.S.: video games, toy and baby items, electronics, cameras and photo items, tools and hardware, kitchenware and housewares, sporting goods and outdoor equipment, software, and computers.
Amazon may be restricted from shipping to your country or location due to manufacturer restrictions or warranty issues.
There may be item-specific shipping restrictions, for example hazardous-materials restrictions. See the product detail page for information.
You may have chosen an offer from a seller who doesn’t offer international shipping. Try looking for another seller.

Very nice and prime as well! So tempting.

Any help FA?
…Tom

We need to find some international distributors; Amazon is not the best at that.

1 Like

Can I purchase direct from FA?

Unfortunately we don’t have the retail or shipping logistics in place. Amazon is nice because we ship them a box of 100 and they do the rest.

OK, you can let Amazon USA know that I’ll be looking for an antenna and a filter when they are ready to include the rest of the world.
Thanks, Tom

What is the gain in dBi?
What is the dimensions?
How many Watts can it handle, or is it receive only?

$45 seems to be a premium price for a collinear. Looks like about $3 in parts.

I bought one. Here’s hoping it improves on my 9-element home-made collinear.

Click the link in the first post. It has all the details.

For some people this is a steal as a colinear can be difficult to build exactly for 1090.

This is a very good price for a 1090MHz collinear that’s designed and built to take outdoor abuse for years.

bob k6rtm

+1

My Bulgarian antenna ebay.com/itm/191621295415 has a similar gain and connection to this. in the best direction I’m getting about 225nm (420km)

I have an N - ‘F Male’ converter attached to the antenna. This is connected directly to a satellite LNB amplifier wrapped in self amalgamating tape.

This then goes to 9m of RG6, a power injector, then to the dongle - works well!

Everything under the antenna is 75 Ohm - so only one transition.